CMRT - BETA AAR - German Side

BFCElvis

Yeah, I thought brittle status was already indicated by a yellow border around the moral state in the UI.

I don't think it is. I base this conclusion on my observation that the yellow border (round the whole status) and red box (around the actual numerical factor) appear at "Rattled", and go away if the element has chance to recover. I don't think all troops who get Rattled become Brittle, and Brittle is a permanent status, in the scale of a CM game.

Naturally I could have got the wrong end of a stick somewhere, or failed to properly note condition changes (and I'm highly prone to missing colour changes). Maybe once-Rattled troops do function as hopelessly as once-Shaken ones, and it's just my optimism that lets me keep driving them on into enemy fire.

Edit: watching a team carefully, that was sitting Rattled (yellow box round the whole morale entry), it's now recovered to Nervous (just a minute or so after dropping to Rattled) and the yellow box is gone. The red box is still there, however, and I think that's just an indicator that they are "-1" (Low?) morale troops in the first place (the other half of that squad are, of course, also -1, and they're still "OK", as is another -1 Morale team from the same platoon). They took some incoming (only bolt-action rifle fire, but at less than 100m) and returned fire, having spotted their harrasser, during that minute, which isn't the behaviour of Brittle troops, IME: they'd just cower, and possibly go out of control. So, if Brittle is a long term status that takes many minutes (ISTR someone, maybe even Steve, saying it's possible to recover from being Brittle in really long games), the yellow box isn't an indicator of it. It's just a warning that troops are wavering.

I am refering to the red number “3” shown in the lower right corner of the suppression meter panel. In the screen shot on post #256 it shows three casualties for 4 squad/ B team in weapons panel, and also shows a red “3” in the suppression panel. The screen shot on post #288 shows 3rd squad/B team, and also shows this red “3” in the suppression panel, but does not show any casualties in the weapons panel. Hence I thought this red “3” was keeping track of total casualties, and that the casualties in the weapons panel had been buddy aided no longer being shown. You said this number “3” is noting squad number, but that can’t be according to the pic in post #256 as it shows 4th sqd, and shows a red “3” in the suppression panel. Just trying to figure what the number showing there means, and also how the casuaties showing in the weapons panel works in the game in relation to being able to tell what casualty has recieved medic aid or not.

They are two different units. That's why they have different numbers. The one in 256 is the HQ unit I am running up to bring in harassment fire. The one in 288 is the scout unit that I am bringing up on my left flank.

...the yellow box isn't an indicator of [having been made Brittle]...just a warning that troops are wavering.

And, it was just a matter of time before I got some Shaken troops to study...

Shaken troops get a red box where the yellow one is for Rattled units. Which also goes away as they rally. I had one team which went to Shaken just from suppression (no casualties sustained - and I think it was all enemy fire, too) who got all the way back to "OK" in the next minute when they were left unharrassed.

I don't, as yet, have any info on how they perform under fire. I'd expect them to be Brittle now, as they've been Shaken. Perhaps that's too pessimistic. But they're still in harm's way and will probably have their resolve tested soon.

I'm sure there will be some Panic-ing troops to study soon, too... Coincidence? I think not! :)

Heh... well, here I am to solve the mystery!

It is a graphic that is misaligned for this particular Beta. It's a new feature to highlight when a unit has previously been Broken. Let's put it this way... when you see the light lit up, don't count on the unit being all that reliable.

Steve

I get it now thanks. I guess it looks more like a “3” than a “B” because of the alignment. I feel like missing that one on the smallest line of the eye exam chart ;)

Ah “3”

No “B’

No wait I think it’s a “3’, yeah “3”.

“Next line please…”

Shaken troops get a red box where the yellow one is for Rattled units. Which also goes away as they rally.

Thanks for the information.

Odd that Shaken gets a red box and rattled is yellow given that Rattled is the more severe of the two according to the CMBN Game Manual Errata txt file.

Page 94

OK, Cautious, Nervous, Shaken, Rattled

(btw, I checked the 2.11 Engine Manual and page 94 has not been updated).

Edit: And I now have some Panicing troops which are no longer under fire, since the ones that ran have been cut down and the original stimulus neutralised, so should be able to see what they end up as showing. Though it's one man left from 4 in a -1 team, so he might just drop to Broken, rather than rally.

Elvis, is this the aspect your scouts can see the dangerous-looking behemoths from? Or did you pan around for a nice piccy? It's hard to tell from the longer shots which way the assault guns are facing relative to where you might've had an ATG...

Nice picture angle. You can actually see my highlighted icon to the left of the screen shot.

Bil has dropped some mortars in the area recently vacated by the HQ unit that I sent forward to place the fire mission for harassment fire. The HQ has been gone for a turn or two..so this isn't coming close to hurting anyone. The green bit is part of where I have called the 120mm fire in to. He has good intel....but it's old intel. Nice.

1_zpsa74671e6.jpg

I saw this guy running through a stream toward the big woods that most of the shooting has been happening in. Most sound contacts I have had so far are in those woods. He was spotted by the scouts that had seen the tank with it's riders crossing the bridge.

3_zps38bad572.jpg

He also spotted this big boy parked near where the riders crossed. I don't know if it's the same one or not. He is kinda backed up to the water....I'm not sure what he is trying to face....maybe he's just parked for now.

2_zpsd3c9e479.jpg

My scouts over there have been doing such a good job that it's time to kill some of them. While moving these guys forward they took fire from the main wood and...I have watched this a dozen times and still can't tell for sure....maybe from their left...from close range.

4_zpsa95eed96.jpg

BANG! One got popped.

5_zps43268444.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb203/elviscos01/4_zpsa95eed96.jpg

I got the 2 survivors out of sight. Bil was area firing all around them with no success.

7_zps2d85c060.jpg

Meanwhile, now he's dropping mortar smoke where he was dropping metal rain a little while ago. My thoughts when he was firing there before was that either he saw me and was trying to hurt me, clearing a space to advance or keep me out of the location. I believe now he was trying to keep me out. Or...wants me to believe that is where he's going.

9_zps8af74ad6.jpg

Hey, where'd guy come from? Looky what I saw running behind my scout on the left.

11_zpsa5592bd6.jpg

I even got the first shot off. Didn't hit anything, as far as I could tell, but I got the first shot and he's cowering.

10_zpsafa1d205.jpg

We've reached the point where I feel confident about getting a little aggressive and maybe mixing up whatever plans Bil has. I've decided to move the platoon that has been set up to the east in what I thought were great ambushy spots, and move them forward into the woods where my slowly dying scouts are. It's usually a bad idea to group men closely but the woods are so dense that as I advance them I plan to keep them pretty close so that if one team is engaged there will be another that can join in and help out. That may change quickly if I see a single spotted round.

6_zpsb5c72fa9.jpg

Here is an overview of what I think is going on right now. My scouts to the west haven't seen anything, The 2 teams on the western side of the big woods have neither seen anything or gotten any sound contacts. The eastern side is another story. Tons of sound contacts and dead scouts.

I am still considering moving out of BLAU into the western part of the woods. I don't want to sit there and get caught in a barrage or move forward to quickly and get caught in one in the woods. Because of that I am going to hold them in place for a little while.

12_zps75301a25.jpg

I've got bad feelings about this plan ...

I hear ya, brother. I've got a bad feeling about every plan against Bil. To remain in place is suicide against Bil. To pull back accomplishes nothing but delaying what happens by staying in place a few turn. All the signs that I've gotten tell me his main thrust will be on the eastern side of the main woods. Moving forward on the extreme east, seems relatively safe. I want to back solid contact and then pull back. The woods will provide better terrain for that.

Broadsword and I spent some 30 minutes in a grueling close quarters fight in the Son woods. I had a pretty green unit versus US paras. To the extent anything worked for me it was simply leapfrogging units backwards and forcing the Paras into this slow grind forward into guys who were essentially stationary. The woods were a lot thicker than what you are facing. In the end it was still a bloody slow attritional battle which completely shattered my unit. The only hope you might draw from it is if you send enough guys to not use up too much of your force and can get him to fire a lot of suppressive fire, maybe he'll use up his ammo. Great strategy huh? "Hey go out there and get those guys to shoot at you till he runs out of ammo." As Ken would say, your men will love you for it. You have given their lives purpose. :D