CMBN v.2.0 is out!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, by purchasing and installing the MG module, my base game and Commonwealth module will automatically be updated to version 2.0. Is that correct?

I may have misunderstood BFC comments in the past on this subject, but I believe that not to be the case. Not only will MG not automatically upgrade BN and CW, but the possibility exists that MG may not play until they are upgraded...or at least there will be serious compatibility problems such that units, maps, etc. from BN and CW cannot be used in MG.

Michael

Just downloaded and my graphics have all gone haywire. Hedgerows and uniforms are all in a crazy LSD inspired tiger camo. Same thing happened when I loaded the CMFI upgrade a few weeks ago so I had to uninstall that and re-install without the upgrade. Not sure what to do with CMBN. I want the v2.0 upgrades but the new colour scheme will drive me insane.

Just downloaded and my graphics have all gone haywire. Hedgerows and uniforms are all in a crazy LSD inspired tiger camo. Same thing happened when I loaded the CMFI upgrade a few weeks ago so I had to uninstall that and re-install without the upgrade. Not sure what to do with CMBN. I want the v2.0 upgrades but the new colour scheme will drive me insane.

Well dont see that - the game looks much better under 2.0 and performance is much improved.

I'd actually be surprised BFC did not bundle 2.0 with the MarketGarden module for no extra charge.

But can you imagine the outrage? It would, of course, be a minority here, since we're all dedicated enough to see the $10 now as a fair price to have it "early" for the time between now and MG. There are quarters that won't view it so charitably, especially if the policy changes between now and MG.

But can you imagine the outrage? It would, of course, be a minority here, since we're all dedicated enough to see the $10 now as a fair price to have it "early" for the time between now and MG. There are quarters that won't view it so charitably, especially if the policy changes between now and MG.

Well its an interesting point ... dont charge extra for it and there are some who will complain that they had to pay for it... but if you charge for it just to play the MG module is that going to put people off buying the new module and effect the new revenue stream that represents ?

Personally I would have paid to have it early in any case but I believe the model does present difficulties in a case like that. I suspect BF are confident enough that price - for most of their customers is not an issue, we just want the product.

Least ways there seems some confusion about it so it would seem wise that BF clarify the thing.

I agree with longleft - says it perfectly - The best thing to do is say up front that the 10 upgrade v2.0 for the most part allows people to play the game earlier before the MG game comes out. Lots of gamers will pay a premium price to play the games early. They do it all the time with the FPS games - Call of Duty, Battlefield, Far Cry etc.

The worst scenario is that both games don't mesh well and then people are playing with different versions and this will cause chaos.

95% of the players on this forum will pay the 10 bucks to play the game earlier,

just a thought

The worst scenario is that both games don't mesh well and then people are playing with different versions and this will cause chaos.

I don't think they mesh at all. Pretty sure if someone sends you a v2 turn and you're on v1.11 it won't open it. Might not even show up in the list to choose from.

95% of the players on this forum will pay the 10 bucks to play the game earlier,

just a thought

'Tis true. Whether that proportion stays as high when they realise they're paying an extra 5 bucks for MG (because BFC won't, I believe can't, afford to make it cost-free) for something they've already bought is another question. And that only addresses the tiny minority* of players who post here.

* I guess we're a tiny minority, cos between us our sales aren't enough to keep Charles's jar topped up with fine spirits and high grade caffiene, and Steve has said he's satisfied with sales at the current level, so I don't think they're raiding granny's savings bonds to keep the company rolling for our benefit just yet.

I just want to clarify my options when comparing getting the 2.0 upgrade by download now vs. waiting for the Market Garden module by download. As I understand it, by purchasing and installing the MG module, my base game and Commonwealth module will automatically be updated to version 2.0. Is that correct

No, I don´t think so. Here´s what I found from Steve in the "Upgrades Q&A"-thread in the CMFI forum:

The next module in the CM:BN family (more about this in the coming days) will already be featuring CMx2 v2.0, and will *require* that upgrade.

and

Correct about Market Garden requiring Upgrade 2.0. While it is possible for the Upgrades to be backwards compatible with existing content, Modules/Packs are almost always going to take advantage of new features and that means the Modules themselves are not backwards compatible.

In the case of Market Garden, all 3D models and textures will use the new mapping features and lower polygon counts for better performance. All prior CMBN 3D and textures, including Commonwealth, will also be upgraded as part of Upgrade 2.0.

Again, BFC's concern should not be dedicated Forumites, who may grumble a bit (at paying "twice") but are clearly hooked on the game, but the Great Silent Majority of casual players who are fan enough to buy the modules, but won't take kindly to being "gouged" by an extra $10 once they've bought MG just because they didn't read the fine print.

And playing Vogon ("the plans have been on display at your local Galactic Planning Office...") and then lecturing them on how they should be happy to be paying more isn't going to help any -- you have needlessly alienated a good (module-buying) customer for the "sin" of not anticipating the unexpected. So the best thing is to bundle the upgrade with the module and raise the price of both, or else sell a DL only version for those already upgraded.

I work in the utility business and we see this kind of indignant reaction all the time with customers. I tell you, no good thing happens when you add unexpected "extra charges", no matter how good your reasons for doing so. Avoid it at all costs is my advice, FWIW.

Oh, and btw my copy of CMBO was bought for me by my Mum, who read the New York Times article on it and knew I'd love it (what a great Mum, eh?). There is no way though that dear lady would know she had to buy a separate upgrade as well. Not saying that's typical, just that not everyone is like "us".

Shaders also provide per-pixel lighting and normal mapping - which generally allows us to put more details on models without decreasing performance, and making the lighting look better. Get in close to an infantryman and you'll notice the details of his model - belt, insignia, facial structure, things like that - appear to be in 3D instead of just being a flat texture.

A couple posters upgraded over CMBN v1.10 and aren't seeing any shader effects. If you see no change at all make sure theres a "Normandy v111.brz" in your data folder. Some objects you won't see much of anything til it makes a turn and you catch a glimpse of light bouncing off raised boltheads on the supension or cracks in the zimmerit.

Shaders also provide per-pixel lighting and normal mapping - which generally allows us to put more details on models without decreasing performance, and making the lighting look better. Get in close to an infantryman and you'll notice the details of his model - belt, insignia, facial structure, things like that - appear to be in 3D instead of just being a flat texture.

Yes - uniforms are hugely different after 2.0

Can games started under 1.x be continued under 2.x or is that a no go?

Broadsword and I have one now that was started under 1.10 and is now running on 2.0. It is not pbem as it has wire and we were forced to do it hot seat, but it is running. My understanding is the only issue of pbem is you need you save to be from the correct turn.