King Tiger, unfinished, lacking detail?

What month do they appear? Last time I tried, I could not find the Lynx. I'll check again.

Thanks

I tried to find exact Units who used them.. but that got confusing... LOL

I beleive there were less then 120 around the time of Normandy Landings, however I thought Pz Lehr and 21st Panzer had some of these bad boys.. and the 116th Pz Div... not sure on the last.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mord,

I'd have to double check pics of the KTs that deployed in France, but IIRC there wasn't much on them. They were pretty spartan and factory fresh. Remember, these weren't tanks dragged back from the Eastern front... the crews had hardly even driven them by the time the Allies landed. But we are going to go back over this and make sure we didn't miss anything.

Steve

Ah, I should've explained better...my post was a bleed over from a thread I started. I wasn't necessarily talking about the KT but more like the Shermans, Cromwells,Churchills and such. There's no randomly placed stuff like in CMSF and the CMBN base game...but there is a bmp for the CW gear. Everything looks very antiseptic by comparison.

Thread is here.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=103020

Mord.

As for the Lynx in QBs, they should be there. Both as Individual Vehicles and as Formations. But you have to be playing with Heer in an Armor type QB for them to be available. There were very few of these little buggers in Normandy.

It's not there. Confirmed by a beta-tester (or at least I thought he was...)

I tried to find exact Units who used them.. but that got confusing... LOL

I beleive there were less then 120 around the time of Normandy Landings, however I thought Pz Lehr and 21st Panzer had some of these bad boys.. and the 116th Pz Div... not sure on the last.

There were 6 (or seven) Tiger VIB with the FKL 316 (subordinate to Panzer Lehr). Numbered 1, 02, 03, 10, (the famous) number 11 and 12. There is also the possibility that a seventh tank existed. These were tanks rated "not combat ready (or worthy)" and were pulled to the front line under transportation back to the factory. All were abandoned and/or destroyed by their crews. FKL 316 also had Tiger I, that were all abandoned without combat.

The first Kompanie of the 503 sPzAbt had at least 12 in Normandy (the famous photos of King Tiger/Tiger on an "alley" under the trees). One was rammed by a Sherman tank. In August a further 14 were given to the third Kompanie, that also saw combat in Normandy.

The only instance of King Tiger with "procuction turret" was when first Kompanie of sSSPzAbt.101 was re-equipped with the King Tiger in August. These tanks feature in many photos and videos driving trough Paris. They wee first deployed at the Mantes bridgehead, short of Paris. So even the "Henschel" turret could be included in CM:BN timeline.

All in all, there were some thirty KT in Normandy proper.

When I citicized the model my intention was not the lack of equipment, but the lack of elements of the hull, such as the hangers for cables, or the port on the rear turret hatch. The KT in Normandy were spartan in tools yes.

There were 6 (or seven) Tiger VIB with the FKL 316 (subordinate to Panzer Lehr). Numbered 1, 02, 03, 10, (the famous) number 11 and 12. There is also the possibility that a seventh tank existed. These were tanks rated "not combat ready (or worthy)" and were pulled to the front line under transportation back to the factory. All were abandoned and/or destroyed by their crews. FKL 316 also had Tiger I, that were all abandoned without combat.

The first Kompanie of the 503 sPzAbt had at least 12 in Normandy (the famous photos of King Tiger/Tiger on an "alley" under the trees). One was rammed by a Sherman tank. In August a further 14 were given to the third Kompanie, that also saw combat in Normandy.

The only instance of King Tiger with "procuction turret" was when first Kompanie of sSSPzAbt.101 was re-equipped with the King Tiger in August. These tanks feature in many photos and videos driving trough Paris. They wee first deployed at the Mantes bridgehead, short of Paris. So even the "Henschel" turret could be included in CM:BN timeline.

Luchs was being discussed there, not King Tiger.

When I citicized the model my intention was not the lack of equipment, but the lack of elements of the hull, such as the hangers for cables, or the port on the rear turret hatch. The KT in Normandy were spartan in tools yes.

I know this was initially a King Tiger thread, and we pretty much in general got to talking about most of the vehicles in CW. Anyways my question.. or response in regards to the Pz II Lynx, was that by Normandy, I thought that since only around 160 or so were built altogether, and that around 120 found there way to Normandy, in German HEER divisions such as Pz Lehr, 21st Panzer, 116th Pz Divisions, along with some of the new sdkf.z 234/2 Puma.

I know this was initially a King Tiger thread, and we pretty much in general got to talking about most of the vehicles in CW. Anyways my question.. or response in regards to the Pz II Lynx, was that by Normandy, I thought that since only around 160 or so were built altogether, and that around 120 found there way to Normandy, in German HEER divisions such as Pz Lehr, 21st Panzer, 116th Pz Divisions, along with some of the new sdkf.z 234/2 Puma.

Yes sorry I missed that you discussed another tank. I found this about the Luchs on a German military forum:

2./PzAufkl. 9/9.Panzer-Div. issued 29 in April 1943

2.PzAufkl. 4/4.Panzer-Div. had 29 on hand on Sept. 26, 1943

1./PzAufkl. 9/9.Panzer-Div. issued 25, date unknown

5 Luchs with 1 operational in the 4.Kallerie-Brigade on Dec. 30, 1944

1 Luchs with the Herman-Goering Panzer-Korps on Dec. 30, 1944

3 Luchs with training and replacement units on March 1, 1945

So alot of them with the 9th. Panzer. Sorry if you already have these numbers.

One quick note about the KT and Lynx model details. This is something that slipped through until the last minute and should have been caught. But we didn't think it was serious enough to delay the game for 2 weeks just to have better visuals for the two vehicles in question. They will be updated with the next patch.

Steve

Sums up BF for me, good feedback and you know there is going to be penty of future support to correct any issues in the game.

Mord,

I'd have to double check pics of the KTs that deployed in France, but IIRC there wasn't much on them. They were pretty spartan and factory fresh. Remember, these weren't tanks dragged back from the Eastern front... the crews had hardly even driven them by the time the Allies landed. But we are going to go back over this and make sure we didn't miss anything.

Steve

None of the tanks in Normandy would have been dragged back from the eastern front. France was where Pz divs were sent to rebuild and re equip from being shattered. the SS units for instance left their PIV's in Russia and would be equipped with new ones (and Panthers) and new men to fill the to&e once they arrived in France. Of course from this some units would have been convalescing enough to personalise and modify their veh's/kit. And then you get factory/training ground fresh KT/Panther units that were subject to being new and victims of shorter training cycles due to the attrition in the east.

Some of the PIV and Panther units were criticised at not able to operate even at/above coy level when they were committed against the commonwealth/US. Low training levels due to lack of time would have been exacerbated by short term decisions like the creation of Pz lehr which was manned by a high percentage of men that should have been training all the new teenagers the Germans were throwing into the fire.

Ah... So, when we read that such and such formation was "rushed to Normandy from the East Front", they are only talking about the men. The heavy equipment would have stayed in the East? Have always wondered how the strained German rail system could have coped.

Ah... So, when we read that such and such formation was "rushed to Normandy from the East Front", they are only talking about the men. The heavy equipment would have stayed in the East? Have always wondered how the strained German rail system could have coped.

Hmm I would definately think that in normal circumstances the men kept their vehicles and tanks when changing fronts. There was no people to unload them other than the crew.

Some units lost their tanks and vehicles, or they were unrepairable before refit so they would get new tanks. How, I do not know, most likely they were loaded by workers at the factory, and again unloaded by assigned crew?. Some units were also equipped with new tanks, such as the Panther.

In 1942 it took 102(!) trains to move some of the armoured divisions.

Hmm I would definately think that in normal circumstances the men kept their vehicles and tanks when changing fronts. There was no people to unload them other than the crew.

Some units lost their tanks and vehicles, or they were unrepairable before refit so they would get new tanks. How, I do not know, most likely they were loaded by workers at the factory, and again unloaded by assigned crew?. Some units were also equipped with new tanks, such as the Panther.

In 1942 it took 102(!) trains to move some of the armoured divisions.

As far as I know the units which were sent to France to refit, left their tanks (even Panthers) - sometimes with some crews on the Eastern front. Usually the tanks were assigned to the Heeresgruppe and could be used to refill other depleted units in the area.

As far as I know the units which were sent to France to refit, left their tanks (even Panthers) - sometimes with some crews on the Eastern front. Usually the tanks were assigned to the Heeresgruppe and could be used to refill other depleted units in the area.

Yep, generally all heavy equipment was left behind. The German Army in the east was short of pretty much everything (except targets) including rail space, so it made no sense at all to extract resources from there, move those resources back through the relatively resource-rich Germany, then on to other theatres. Usually the men were pulled out and sent somewhere to refit, and would get issued with a new divisions-worth of kit there.

The same thing happened with 9th and 10th SS Divs at Arnhem in Sept 44 - one of them transferred all its remaining kit to the other (well, they were supposed to), and then only the men of the donor division were sent back to the Ruhr(?) to refit and re-equip the division. Except the Paras arrived before that move could quite be completed.

However, I'm pretty sure II SS Pz Korps (9th and 10th SS Pz Divs) were an exception to that general rule, and took all their kit with them when then transferred from East to West in mid-44. Actually, that's probably the distinction - units being pulled out for refitting left their kit behind, while functional units being transferred directly into combat (like the divisions sent from Citadel to Italy, or II SS Pz.K.) took their stuff with them.

I was taking a look at the Allied armor in the Commonwealth Module and it looks like the Sherman I and II may have, at least partially, fallen victim to the low-poly count model issue affecting the MkVIB.

Notice the main gun manlet and ball mount on the bow machinegun on the I and II compared to those outfitting the III...

Sherman I and II:

shermaniii.jpg

Sherman III:

shermaniii.jpg

Perhaps these can be retouched in a patch as well.

Karabekian, do you know how the KT hatches for driver and the RO open? I'm not sure, but from the way they look they should open sideways.

They turn backwards, so when entirely open they sit on the outboard sides behind the driver/RO.

To make it more simple, if the driver brakes and the hatch is loose, it hits him in the back of the head.