Battlefront Poll

Horses

1. June 41 - april 42
2. Maj 42 - maj 43
3. June 43 - maj 44
All eastern front 😁

Some of the more common requests as far as I know...
- game performance improvments
- graphics improvements
- additional editor features 
- additional gameplay features
- finish CMBS- and CMFB module the skip to CM3
- WW2 early war, 1939-40
- WW2 north africa
- WW2 pacific
- WW2 eastern front
- 1945, 46 west vs russia
- WW1
- Korea 1950-
- Vietnam
- Fulda gap
- Arab - Israeli wars
- modern day Syria , Irak, Afghanistan 
- modern day USA/NATO vs China
- modern day USA/NATO vs North korea 
- China vs India war
- more battlepacks for existing titles

Combat Mission Blitzkrieg. Warsaw to Moscow. 1939-1941 
2. Combat Mission Fulda Gap 1970-1990. 
3. Combat Mission Afrika Korp. Libya, Egypt, and Tunis. 1942-43. 
4. Combat Mission Case Blue. Blau to Stalingrad 1942. 

Don't forget a new version of the afghanistan game (CMA)!!!

CMRT Fire and Rubble and a module  (CW?) for CMFB, IIRC.

CMFB needs a big end-of-war module that includes Brits, crossing the Rhine and the Ruhr pocket. CMBS needs a module too, I think with Marines (from both sides) and whatever else they want to include. CMRT's almost all wrapped up and CMFI module of course was their last big release. Not to mention (literally not to mention) the government work we're not supposed to mention 

A lot of (news countries) to see and helpful for Barbarossa

Invasion from Yugoslavia 1941

Germany Italy 
(Bulgaria Hungary Romania Yugoslavia Partisans). 

SO...LONG LIFE FOR 

COMBAT MISSION 

BATTLEFRONT WE LOVE YOU !

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Also pray for a very long life for us players...  it looks like we'll need that lol.  

Yepp...

If someone had asked me 5 years ago what CM game i would be playing in 2020...

I would have answered...

"Ooohh. I don't know...Barbarossa, Typhoon or Case Blue"

If someone were to ask me today what CM game i will be playing in 2025...i wish i could give the same answer...

But i don't think i can do that...

It makes me 😥😥😢😭😭

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Also pray for a very long life for us players...  it looks like we'll need that lol.  

I iwill try Erwin I will try ! 

9 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

Yepp...

If someone had asked me 5 years ago what CM game i would be playing in 2020...

I would have answered...

"Ooohh. I don't know...Barbarossa, Typhoon or Case Blue"

If someone were to ask me today what CM game i will be playing in 2025...i wish i could give the same answer...

But i don't think i can do that...

It makes me 😥😥😢😭😭

Don t be sad we will have better days soon...F and R  are on the way...well I hope, and after this a module for cmbs than cmfb than...bigG   Exclamation  mark.

26 minutes ago, 3j2m7 said:

Don t be sad

Thanks for trying to comfort me 😪🤧

I'm sure that the fire and rubble module as well as the next two modules will be great games...

But 41 - 43 (spring) eastern front has been my favorite period/theatre for as long as I can remember...by far !

And that's not going to happen any time soon...

But...

Although the battle for Berlin has not really been on the top of my list as far as reading or playing goes... the upcomming CM release has sparked my intrest in this period far more...

I'm really looking forward to the game 😎

Edited by RepsolCBR

Well...  Given that

1. I am a big KSP player

2. KSP's ability to be modded

3. the sheer number of options folks want

I would hazard a guess that if I were to start a new poll thread, and put:

"The ability to mod CM games to add units, equipment, and functionality",

as an option, it would garner a large share of votes?

In other words, if the community could add content then Battlefront could concentrate on upgrading their engine to CM3 and put out new content at their own pace. 

1 hour ago, Probus said:

W

In other words, if the community could add content then Battlefront could concentrate on upgrading their engine to CM3 and put out new content at their own pace. 

CM3 has a good name and I m sure will be good, but until now,  only the stars are able to listening the cracking floor of the building's from BF, soon perhaps !

10 hours ago, Probus said:

I would hazard a guess that if I were to start a new poll thread, and put:

"The ability to mod CM games to add units, equipment, and functionality",

as an option, it would garner a large share of votes?

BFC have stated again and again over the years that they will never open up the game to that level of modding. In short, its never going to happen, so I wouldn't even bother getting your hopes up. 

51 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

I can only imagine the cancer that would result from being able to mod under the hood things. Hard pass. 

Modding things would probably end in chaos...

But if outside teams could be allowed to develop additional modules, basegames, and TOEs that got plugget into the CM engine...that could actually work.

It works very well with DCS-world...sub developers provides more and more flyable aircrafts and maps etc...

As long as the produkt met Battlefront standards and TOEs and weapondata etc fits correctly into the CM world and are not some wierd overpowered superunits...

Why not ? 🙂

I know it's not going to happen...but i belive it could work.

Thanks for the feedback!  Having bought the original CM games 20 years ago, I'm still new here so don't quite know what subjects have been put to bed. I just have to agree to disagree that modding always brings chaos. After closely working with the Kerbal Space Program community, it seems like it can absolutely be done right. Just check out SpaceDock and CKAN for example:

https://spacedock.info/kerbal-space-program/browse/featured

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN

I say this out of luv for both games and don't want to see BF and their players miss out on an opportunity. It's only very recently the company has brought in resized real rocket parts. The community has been modelling real parts since 2012ish. For example:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/122020-181173-bluedog-design-bureau-stockalike-saturn-apollo-and-more-v162-титан-24nov2019/#comment-2205042

I'm a wargaming grognard since about 1978. I cut my teeth on Panzerblitz, Third Reich, and Squad Leader when I was a kid. I love both genre of games. I think Battlefront has the best system/engine I've seen. 

Ok, maybe it's time for a Battle of General's Quotes:

"Take calculated risks. That' is quite different from being rash." - G.S. Patton

6 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

I can only imagine the cancer that would result from being able to mod under the hood things. Hard pass. 

I dunno. Most players are playing CM single player. So I don't see the harm - who cares if you mode in lobsters.

Really though I would love to see the AI and animations opened up to modding as we could see real gains there in the quality of the sim. The animation mod gives you a taste of the improvements we could see.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:37 PM, Lucky_Strike said:

Ah yes Kitty’s Hamster Portraits mod ...

Some of the KSP modders have a strange sense of humor also. Smoke made out of elephants, my little pony helmets, and a cat that bounced around like Pong on April Fools Day.  Just to name a few.  But things were far from total chaos. And there are some extremely historically accurate mods too. 

There are some extremely talented modders out there. I can't see the cons outweighing the pros of having great content created for "free".  Is someone afraid of getting sued?  Or maybe BFC believes that modded content will somehow reflect badly on official content?

Now I could see BFC thinking that modded content would somehow make it into a MoD briefing or the like. But surely not. 

I'm still buzzing over CMRV. I would never have named Indian, South African and Free French forces as additions I would love to see, but I've been enjoying them immensely since the game came out.

What would I like BF to do next? Surprise me - I'm certain to love it :)

Edit:

Also, I know as a community we've been over this ground time and time again, but -- we know BF is a small company, they work for months and years bringing out these amazing, detailed, realistic historical simulations, recently we've had SF2 and RV, which were both fantastic and took huge amounts of work, but almost as soon as a release comes out, members of the community start griping that it isn't enough and that they've been waiting too long for some other detailed and amazing theatre.

I just wish there were a bit more positivity in the community - we're all grown ups, aren't we? We realise that hard work is actually hard work...?

Edited by Freyberg
afterthought

10 hours ago, Freyberg said:dit:

Also, I know as a community we've been over this ground time and time again, but -- we know BF is a small company, they work for months and years bringing out these amazing, detailed, realistic historical simulations, recently we've had SF2 and RV, which were both fantastic and took huge amounts of work, but almost as soon as a release comes out, members of the community start griping that it isn't enough and that they've been waiting too long for some other detailed and amazing theatre.

I just wish there were a bit more positivity in the community - we're all grown ups, aren't we? We realise that hard work is actually hard work...?

I hope you don’t think I’m griping. I’m just trying to help. I know how much work goes into this kind of detail. A small company like BF can get so much more support from their community if they just let them.

I'd like to see something like this...one engine, just one, that will support all of the terrain, all of the building types, all of the weapons, for ETO, PTO (there's a lot more to it than beach assaults) and North Africa, with a limited selection of content for each.  One engine to buy, one engine to patch. Because of the vastly-increased  potential scope, out of the box, the game might contain a limited sample of unit types and vehicles across all theatres, just to get things going. A bit like the original Squad Leader, which only provided MKIV's,, Shermans and T-34/76's, one personnel carrier for each nation, regular infantry only, etc. At the same time, release the tools for others e.g. modders or contracted third parties to create the additional content e.g. database entries and graphics. Find some to way make it worth their while to get involved, but ultimate control for releasing content would rest with BF. That way they could concentrate on the engine while others get the theatres/campaigns out more quickly.

I'm not claiming that this would be feasible or realistic, just what I'd ask for if the genie-of-the--wargame appeared and asked what my wish was.  Regarding CMx3, I have to say that I have no interest in buying multiple versions of another engine that after another 13 years is still likely to have covered the same ground as CMx2. I haven't even picked up the new CMFI release yet, so depleted is my enthusiasm for the way BF is doing things - still no fix for the CMBN bocage bug over a year after it was reported. The military contract thing doesn't sound encouraging; it just sounds like more time spent on that and less time on this. I've seen that happen before with another publisher.