Red thunder and Covid -19

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

So what? Just another opinion. Why does everyone always have to say and believe the same things?

Because sometimes, most people agree based on facts. And yes the Russian bots are active at spreading mis information. So it becomes even more critical to go to verifiable sources you can reasonably show have a basis for knowledge. In this case the medical community who are overwhelmingly giving the same advice bar a few exceptions who generally pop up on right wing conspiracy sites. If you tend towards bogus information sources you will get bogus information. That Fox has gone 180 on this in the space of a week should make anyone pause. Clearly they are a bad source of info. 

Edited by sburke

8 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Perhaps you're right. Time will tell. Let's pray it won't get as bad as feared. Not taking any risks with my parents either. Only visit them to deliver their shopping, which I put in their barn without seeing them. Mother has half a long left, so ANY flue will kill her. But I still have severe hesitations about the economical measures. Something in the middle would be more wise, but as said, time will tell.

I get worrying about the economy. I was hoping to retire in under 2 years. That is likely out the window. However your first priority and you are on target is your family’s health. Look out for your mother.  i only wish I was close enough to mine to look out for her. 

In short, it's to say that I am very happy with my purchase
I find it particularly well done and finished. Already Italy had impressed but Red Thunder is incredible and realistic landscape it and I often go to the region !!!
It may be necessary to give CMBN a "facelift" because when unpacking it is rather disappointing and since not everyone knows the mods.

56 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

The best remedy against the Covid-19 hysteria is to go to your local bar or pub and have a drink with people you are used to see there.

You won't be doing that in the UK after tonight. Country wide lock down just announced. 

9 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

They shut the pubs in the name of "lockdown". So now we have to stand shoulder to shoulder with other people in a supermarket to buy bottled beer. Ho hum. 

Ha that’s why I have a wine fridge! I am good for quite a bit. ;+)

7 hours ago, Megalon Jones said:

I stockpiled back in February and have been social distancing for the last two weeks.  You don't need a weatherman....yadda, yadda, yadda 

Thank you for the information.  Perhaps I stand corrected.  PS:  As you work in the medical field how many months of stockpiles do you have or recommend?

Edited by Erwin

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

They shut the pubs in the name of "lockdown". So now we have to stand shoulder to shoulder with other people in a supermarket to buy bottled beer. Ho hum. 

You don’t have to do that.  Just got a full case of survival juice delivered.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Thank you for the information.  Perhaps I stand corrected.  PS:  As you work in the medical field how many months of stockpiles do you have or recommend?

That’s probably a better question for an economist, if you are talking about supplies of food or household goods.  Don’t be an ass and hoard face masks or toilet paper or bottled water ffs.

Edited by akd

I am in a very isolated area and yet people are driving hundreds of miles from big cities to empty the local stores.  Earlier today, I sent a red cross package of TP, towels and tissues to a relative in Los Angeles as she cannot find anything in SoCal stores!

The store crisis is being created and magnified by people.  Am wondering if it's counterproductive that every time one turns on the TV or radio all one hears about is anxiety-provoking "info".  

I remember when I was young in the UK and there was some stock market crash, or maybe the pound was crashing ($5/pound was the exchange rate in those days), and the TV was on about it all the time.  Afterwards the powers that be realized that by broadcasting what appeared to be a disaster actually created a much worse disaster.  These days, one sees very measured and reassuring info re stock market problems so as to avoid that magnification.  Seems we need that these days as this panic buying is getting worrying.

Actually yeah this is all OT... we should probably move to non-CM General Discussion (found at the bottom of the BF forums).

I just now started a PANDEMIC CHAT ROOM down there so we don't have to clutter up CMRT forums.

Edited by Erwin

7 hours ago, BornGinger said:

The best remedy against the Covid-19 hysteria is to go to your local bar or pub and have a drink with people you are used to see there.

Not here. All closed. Schools closed. Restaurants closed but doing curbside or delivery. No events. Town meetings all by video or phone conference. No gatherings > 25 people. Over 60 no gatherings > 10 people. 

Chamber of commerce has a helpful web site with a spreadsheet on line with all food vendors (stores, bars, restaurants) their hours, and whether they do take out, curbside, delivery or drive thru. Local micro brewery is taking next week off from brewing to spend a full week making hand sanitizer. Then they'll give it all away. Pretty awesome. This is not a big company. Pretty successful little brewery but still.

People who keep touting the flu numbers just don't seem to have read (or believe?) the medical experts that are saying and have been from the beginning that these measures are so that this doesn't cause millions of deaths around the world. Sure, so far only thousands have died. The POTENTIAL is very much worse.

To add some on-topic content, I finished George's scenario that the dark and moody screen shot came from. One of the most enjoyable I've played in a while. Great map, REALLY well thought out AI opponent, choices to make that have big consequences. Really fun. Lots of good work is going into the scenarios. Your gonna' love it.

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

Actually yeah this is all OT... we should probably move to non-CM General Discussion (found at the bottom of the BF forums).

I just now started a PANDEMIC CHAT ROOM down there so we don't have to clutter up CMRT forums.

Agreed. But perhaps this was useful to blow off some steam. 🙂 This thread has also become a good example of talking about a highly sensitive subject without blackening each other. But yes, time to move on.

6 hours ago, Ultradave said:

To add some on-topic content, I finished George's scenario that the dark and moody screen shot came from. One of the most enjoyable I've played in a while. Great map, REALLY well thought out AI opponent, choices to make that have big consequences. Really fun. Lots of good work is going into the scenarios. Your gonna' love it.

Dave

Of that I'm sure! George knows how to make the AI into sheer torture!😀

On 3/20/2020 at 8:02 AM, Ales Dvorak said:

I think Dr. Wolfgang Wodarg should pack his bags and go help to doctors in Bergamo (they need doctors) instead sitting there and be smart.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-italy-army-transport-coffins-bergamo-morgue-crisis-video-2020-3

Here is a nice article fact checking the dangerous BS, this Wodarg guy spills:

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/coronavirus-die-gefaehrlichen-falschinformationen-des-wolfgang-wodarg-a-f74bc73b-aac5-469e-a4e4-2ebe7aa6c270?sara_ecid=soci_upd_KsBF0AFjflf0DZCxpPYDCQgO1dEMph

German only, but I guess you guys can handle the translation.

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Here is a nice article fact checking the dangerous BS, this Wodarg guy spills:

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/coronavirus-die-gefaehrlichen-falschinformationen-des-wolfgang-wodarg-a-f74bc73b-aac5-469e-a4e4-2ebe7aa6c270?sara_ecid=soci_upd_KsBF0AFjflf0DZCxpPYDCQgO1dEMph

German only, but I guess you guys can handle the translation.

Interesting article, but it doesn't automatically categorizes Wodargs opinion as BS, I think. But since we've agreed to leave it at this and since the situation can't be turned back, even if necessary or desired, I propose to drop the subject. I do agree that Wodargs approach involves a risk, which is simply too great. As sburke wisely said nobody is prepared to gamble with the life of our parents and other loved ones.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 3:31 AM, Erwin said:

If you think about it, logically the best way of handling this crisis is if everyone was infected.  Then there would be no reason to not go out and live normally and keep the economy going.

Yes of course. But this disease hits older people more than the young. I just turned 40. How old are you?

So the economy would be just fine if we all just carried on?  when ~20% of the population is getting very sick, 5% critically ill?  and w/o enough medical many of that 5% would die.  And you think the economy would just carry on fine?  NO it would crash anyway.  There's this bizarre insanity that basically thinks we would not hurt the economy if we just carried on and let at least ~1 million americans die?  WTF?  think it through, perhaps?  it would be a disaster, and people would quarantine themselves anyway if they could, they'd avoid gatherings -- just like what we're doing now.  Parents would stop sending kids to school, no one going out to eat, no movies, no sports -- just like now except with many times the number of dead.  What a ridiculous bunch of stupidity, to think we are actually making a choice b/w hurting or not hurting the economy.

Of course it's best that everyone is immune via previous infection and that can happen w much much less than 1% dead or with  much more than 1% dead.  And I am so glad to see so many brave souls ready to let so many die -- because they think that only others will die.  LISTEN TO THE F-ING EXPERTS.  They are scientists, they live in an evidence based world.  They don't get their information by cherry-picking hearsay, rumors, & lies on the internet.   We are just getting started w this in the US, and we're going to losing thousands per day very soon we're already near 2000 per day. 

17 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

How old are you?

Older than you lol.  And yes it would be a national disaster if I caught it and died and in addition I would be very p'd off.  But, I was trying to selflessly look at the big picture.  :huh:

I think that whichever major nation (ie US, China, maybe EEC) recovers faster could dominate the world economy by expanding into markets etc.  And we definitely don't want to be ruled by an authoritarian, dictatorial, aggressively expansionist regime like China which is creating a 1984-like dystopian society as fast as it can.  

Edited by Erwin