Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Sakai007 said:

LoL, I actually live on the island of Arrowsic, Hells Gates runs on the back side of the island facing woolwich, and I have heard many a story about running them in small aluminum boats. From what I can tell it's primarily when the tide is all the way out or running hard that way when things get exciting. I went through a number of times at high tide in a 16' fiberglass with no problems, just feel the current through the wheel very strongly. I am sure it's similar all over, but seems to be a good number of wargaming types in these parts. There used to be a little gaming shop in Bath called the 'Toy Soldier' I went to in the late 90's, probably what got me started on this path.

You didn't happen to be talking to a guy on Youtube comments a couple weeks back about Conan books, did you?

Yeah, we (my brother and his buddy) were on our way out, the tide was coming in, and so was a huge ferry (or tour boat). When its wake hit us we were dropping into troughs that were about four feet deep. One minute we'd be way down low, then way up high. The water was filled with all these ripping whirl pools. I had my line in the water and my rod was bending like I had a 20 lbs fish on it, the undercurrent was so strong. If one of us had fallen in they'd probably still be looking for us 30 years later. I don't think I could've had enough life jackets on to keep from drowning. Basically it was a perfect storm of the tide and that ship going through the channel at the same time. I'd give it three pairs of undies on the "Oh S***!" scale. Wasn't near as bad when we came back.

I used to hit the hobby shop at the Maine mall (wish I knew the name), back in 80-84. It was probably my favorite place on earth at that time. Got my first set of RPG dice (Dragon Dice) there (still have them). They carried all the TSR boxed sets, Chaosium, Yaquinto, the Traveller game etc. and just about every wargame on the planet. There was a strictly D&D place I use to go to in South Portland (just over the Million Dollar Bridge) called The Dragon's Keep. We used to get 15mm figures there for $1.50 a piece. Man, those were the days.

I think there are a ton of wargame/RPG gamers in Maine (in their 40s on up) because of the long winters, and growing up in a time where we needed to rely on our imaginations to get us through. Most of us can remember a time before cable, VCRs and Atari/Intellivision. And even with those entertainments, they were still expensive and in their infancy when a lot of us were in our formative years. Hell, Dungeons and Dragons came out of Wisconsin, so it makes sense that rural areas would gravitate toward gaming, not that other's wouldn't, just more incentive when your options are limited but your imagination is big and needs feeding. That's my take, anyway.

 

Mord.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought SL and ASL at the hobby shop in The JFK plaza on JFK Drive in Waterville.  It was an hour drive and I would save money for a month.  Happy memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If CMSF2 has weapons working better as stated why has CMBS not been patched?

ATGM systems are quite broken in CMBS with overpowered M1s etc

Having paid for the game I'd expect a patch

What's your patch plans etc for existing products?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GAZ NZ said:

If CMSF2 has weapons working better as stated why has CMBS not been patched?

ATGM systems are quite broken in CMBS with overpowered M1s etc

Having paid for the game I'd expect a patch

What's your patch plans etc for existing products?

Thanks

Never noticed broken ATGMs in Combat Mission Black Sea, can you specify what exactly you think is not working correctly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GAZ NZ said:

Having paid for the game I'd expect a patch

What's your patch plans etc for existing products?

Thanks

 

Mord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MANoWAR.U51 said:

Never noticed broken ATGMs in Combat Mission Black Sea, can you specify what exactly you think is not working correctly?

I suspect what he is referring to is the much better optics and responses in CMBS. It reflects a decade of technology improvement. CMSF2 ATGM weapons working “better” has nothing to do with anything in the engine, it has to do with the tech available in 2008 versus 2017. So no there is no planned patch to make CMBS “dumber”. You want dumber, play an older environment. Welcome to CMSF!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2018 at 7:22 AM, Battlefront.com said:

 And when do we expect to ship? No later than the end of July 2018.

 

I guess the release date got pushed back with the new website and all?

Edited by AtheistDane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sburke said:

I suspect what he is referring to is the much better optics and responses in CMBS. It reflects a decade of technology improvement. CMSF2 ATGM weapons working “better” has nothing to do with anything in the engine, it has to do with the tech available in 2008 versus 2017. So no there is no planned patch to make CMBS “dumber”. You want dumber, play an older environment. Welcome to CMSF!

True, but he mentioned it alongside with "overpowered M1s" Pretty sure gaz will enlighten us if this is serious.

9 minutes ago, AtheistDane said:

I guess the release date got pushed back with the new website and all?

Lets hope not that far

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MANoWAR.U51 said:

True, but he mentioned it alongside with "overpowered M1s" Pretty sure gaz will enlighten us if this is serious.

Lets hope not that far

Exactly my point about better optics etc. the M1 of CMBS is not the M1 of CMSF.  To compare the two and expect BF to patch CMBS to make it act like CMSF mises the point of the state of things for CMSF. 

Personally this is one of the reasons I prefer CMSF. Advances in technology make the game (CMBS) and combat into something that is just a bit sci if and for me anyway less appealing. In CMBS I tend to stay more infantry focused. (Well even more infantry focused than normal 😛 j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sburke said:

Exactly my point about better optics etc. the M1 of CMBS is not the M1 of CMSF.  To compare the two and expect BF to patch CMBS to make it act like CMSF mises the point of the state of things for CMSF. 

I believe he is talking more about the Abrams ability to shrug off ATGMs, including the AT-14 as well as the spotting ability of the tank. 

The fact is, CMBS very accurately simulates the survivability and spotting ability of the Abrams. This has already been debated to death on these forums and elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

I believe he is talking more about the Abrams ability to shrug off ATGMs, including the AT-14 as well as the spotting ability of the tank. 

The fact is, CMBS very accurately simulates the survivability and spotting ability of the Abrams. This has already been debated to death on these forums and elsewhere. 

Interestingly in CMSF AT weapons actually seem a bit stronger than what I glean from reading on events in Iraq.  Some of that has to do with experience levels of the insurgents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sburke said:

Interestingly in CMSF AT weapons actually seem a bit stronger than what I glean from reading on events in Iraq.  Some of that has to do with experience levels of the insurgents. 

I've noticed this too and came to the same conclusion.

A bit back to the topic of the thread, I'll go ahead and be the obnoxious guy who asks; now that the new website is up and running with most if not all major issues fixed, can we expect pre-orders to go up in the coming days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2018 at 4:36 PM, AtheistDane said:

I guess the release date got pushed back with the new website and all?

I hope not... I've been sitting here waiting like a cat on a hot tin roof for the end of the month!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall reading a report still in the first year of the Iraq war that said half of all US casualties up to that point had been caused by RPG. This was before the wholesale introduction of the IED into the theater. Before then it was RPG that was the biggest threat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I recall reading a report still in the first year of the Iraq war that said half of all US casualties up to that point had been caused by RPG. This was before the wholesale introduction of the IED into the theater. Before then it was RPG that was the biggest threat.

You gotta admire the simplicity, robustness, and effectiveness of the RPG-series. 
Firing an RPG at anyone or anything (unless it's a tank or equipped with ERA) usually doesn't end well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where that came from, but that is a hard one to quantify.  Vehicle accidents and helicopter crashes were a significant cause of loss of life.  There are plenty of "small arms" incidents and some specifically RPG, whether the small arms might also have been RPGs is hard to say, but by July IEDs were starting to ramp up.

http://icasualties.org/Iraq/Fatalities.aspx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is the game? They announced it would be in the store "no later than the end of July". Well it's August now and I still haven't been allowed to spend any money here for over a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is precisely why BFC is reluctant to announce a deadline for the release of a product. Something Always Comes Up that delays the release. You can count on it. The one time they were forced to meet an announced schedule (CMSF1) it was a near disaster that taught them much about the incompatibility of their production techniques and deadlines. Hence: "When it's finished."

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Exactly why we are reluctant to post release dates!  In this case I didn't take into consideration that people might take some time off from work this summer.  Silly me!

Steve

As much as I do understand your point of view, I would appreciate to have some information at some point. 

I work in IT and I know how hard it is to keep deadlines. I don't mind waiting. But IMHO it wouldn't hurt to drop some info in advance like "Sorry due to 'reasons' the release must be pushed back or so.

In my experience most people have understanding for that but are angry if the are left blank.

Only my 5cents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well when I read that CMSF2 was be released by the end of July....I really did'nt think that would happen.  But being patient is not really one of my strong points I have to "stand by to stand by".   I check often and looking forward as we all do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×