The state of CMSF2

My brother lives up in Ellsworth. I had to look up Castine, that's a sweet spot. I've seen Deer Isle and Stonington. I like the Blue Hill area.

There's just no place like Maine.

Mord.

My nephew just bought a house in Dexter (within the town) back in March. Three bedroom, two floors, brand new kitchen and roof, on one acre, with two outbuildings for 22 grand. He got a good deal and is happy.

Mord.

3 hours ago, Mord said:

My nephew just bought a house in Dexter (within the town) back in March. Three bedroom, two floors, brand new kitchen and roof, on one acre, with two outbuildings for 22 grand. He got a good deal and is happy.

Mord.

It's incredible how property prices are so crazy different! Thinking about trying to buy a house here in Brussels - starting price for three bedroom and a tiny garden is probably upwards of 450,000 Euros!! I have serious indigestion even thinking about it.

He got lucky because the lady selling it was looking for a quick turnover after getting a divorce. His mortgage is easily 40-50% less than renting a one bedroom apartment in most towns here.

There are expensive areas here, like Ogunquit, Bar Harbor, Cape Elizabeth, Portland, etc. but if you are looking for land and don't need to be in the thick of civilization, and do your research, you can find some great deals.

Mord.

Pffft I bought my house in San Jose in 2009 for 530k (it is public info) it is now valued at over a million. The house is single story 2 bed 1 bath 1000 sq ft on a 4000 sq ft lot.  

I could rent it for 3k a month. 

Welcome to Silicon Valley. 

6 hours ago, Mord said:

Mord.

Wow. Here in Utrecht they're asking a bloody €250k for an old ****ty 55m2 appartment.

My Mom sold her house in Hartland, a beautiful old Victorian in the center of town, for $12k five years ago.  And it was on the market for over a year.  That is central Maine real estate.

My wife and I considered buying it, but realized the drive up from Boston would make maintaining it in the Maine winter almost impossible.  Unless you work for Cianbro in Pittsfield or the government, there is little to make a living off of.  In fact, they still have no high speed internet and limited cell coverage.

I should point out that most real estate buyers are retired people from Mass trying to get away.

Edited by Thewood1

For my nephew and his family of two, the move was better than where he was and what he had, in Naples. And yeah, the "making a living" part is important. There's definitely pros and cons to being here. Especially north of Portland or south of Bangor.

My brother and I looked at a piece of property in Springfield a couple years back and the cell service actually died when you turned onto the road the site was on. Beautiful location but no amenities whatsoever. 

Mord.

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

My Mom lives in the Rangley mountain area of Maine now.  Zero cell and she just got DSL a couple months ago.  Those rural areas are the forgotten parts of the US.  Our download society leaves them behind.

One of two places I've seen the Northern Lights. Camping at Rangely Lake State Park looking north over the lake to Rangely. Stunning.

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

One of two places I've seen the Northern Lights. Camping at Rangely Lake State Park looking north over the lake to Rangely. Stunning.

The only place I have seen the Northern lights was at 35,000 feet on a flight from SFO to Europe.  Freakin amazing and as I looked around the plane everyone else was dozing.  I was so tempted to tell the stewardess Wake everyone up! then figured they'd probably just get pissed at me.

18 hours ago, sburke said:

The only place I have seen the Northern lights was at 35,000 feet on a flight from SFO to Europe.  Freakin amazing and as I looked around the plane everyone else was dozing.  I was so tempted to tell the stewardess Wake everyone up! then figured they'd probably just get pissed at me.

Or ask you to close your shade because the light was interfering with whatever SJW sitcom was being streamed to their favorite device...

100 years ago, flying at 35,000ft in a plush seat (at least in 1st class ;) ), near the speed of sound, wearing slippers and sipping champagne would've been the height of sci-fi.

On 7/19/2018 at 4:00 PM, Mord said:

Yeah, he's up in Dover Foxcroft.

I've been to Bath many a time. I have family in Union and my Mom and I would pass through Bath on our way to visit. Last time I was in Bath was 88 or so, went through Hell's Gate in a sixteen ft. aluminum boat. One of the scariest times I ever had fishing.

This is my fourth time living here. I originally moved up here in 76. Been back and forth ever since. I plan on it being permanent this time.

Mord.

LoL, I actually live on the island of Arrowsic, Hells Gates runs on the back side of the island facing woolwich, and I have heard many a story about running them in small aluminum boats. From what I can tell it's primarily when the tide is all the way out or running hard that way when things get exciting. I went through a number of times at high tide in a 16' fiberglass with no problems, just feel the current through the wheel very strongly. I am sure it's similar all over, but seems to be a good number of wargaming types in these parts. There used to be a little gaming shop in Bath called the 'Toy Soldier' I went to in the late 90's, probably what got me started on this path.