More Bulge Info! (and a few screenshots...)

I also add my vote to several others on here that I sure would like to see it as a module rather than a stand alone.  That way I can still play on maps I already made, plus, hopefully it would add a bit of content to the Normandy/ Market Garden scenarios.  (Plus, I hate to keep installing the same program over and over, simply wastes space on the hard drive.)  They were talking about a NEW CMSF instead of a 3.0 upgrade.  Probably easier, but that city map I spent 200 or so hours on.... all wasted.  I loved how CMBB went from, well Barbarossa to Berlin.  I could build scenarios to mix and match whatever equipment I wanted.  (I also love the early war stuff.)

Once again, MODULE PLEASE, even if it's still $55.  (I know that throws a wrench into their "CMBN Master Installer" theory though.)

Mike

it is not cost-effective - let it be a separate game, the problem is that it looks like the module (several new models, scenarios / campaigns etc) and they want us to pay for a new game - for new consumers may be attractive - but for someone who has CMBN together with modules is the bank heist

I did not buy - I did not buy a package of vehicles for which there is still no scenarios - I do not want to feel like a cash cow

fix which they call "patches"

patches which they call "upgrade"
modules that are called "games"

I honostly don't understand why they showed us these pictures...

They show no improvement AT ALL with regards to winter terrain/conditions...I most certanly hope they are very early WIP screenshots.

Winter terrain has been discussed in numorous threads for a long time and most of them have ended with the conclution that  improvements to winter warfare/terrain will  come with the BULGE GAME. (No such claims might have been made by BFC them self though..I don't really remember)

But still...

This will be the first basegame centered on WINTER conditions...Surely some major improvements will have to be made...Othervise this will be nothing more then a scenario-pack.

Edited by RepsolCBR

One more thing, it looks like texture transferred from CMFI - a lack of snow on the branches of trees - it looks bad

Sure looks like straight from CMFI. Could be the "patchy snow" weather setting. Heavy snow should cover branches a lot. Like the photos earlier in the thread.

Looking forward for this release. I like the prospect of scenarios with heavy snow but from what I read at least the first weeks of Wacht am Rhein were more muddy with cold rain than white covered fields and trees. The heavy snowfall with subzero temperatures began around Christmas and climaxed in January.

BFC could <I didn't say should!> come up with a "Diamond Club Customer" plan, with one payment of $1000.00 you get all future families, modules, patches, password to the beta sites, a dinner date with the BFC dude of your choice, and a gift pack of Combat Mission swag such as a coffee cup, hoodie, mouse pad...  :D

Who do I make the check out to...?

I have a weird request. after Kohlenklau excellent Bulge mod for CMFI there was some talk of a winter  mod for CMBN. I made a very detailed map for Wardin Belgium for the battle of Wardin (501st). I hate to see the man hours wasted. Can I give it to someone on the team doing QBs, maybe they can convert it to the new Bulge game and use it, I must have spent 25 hours on that map.

Los 

did you release that map?  if so where, if not can I get a copy?

I honostly don't understand why they showed us these pictures...

Because there was a clamour for them? With all the pissing and moaning about how bad they are, I'd hardly expect BFC to be keen to throw a bone ever again. Though they're probably used to the ingrates now.

Some people can't be pleased Womble. Ever. Perish the thought that its the very first screenshots we've seen of something that is so clearly a work in progress.

Edited by Rinaldi

Some people can't be pleased Womble. Ever. Perish the thought that its the very first screenshots we've seen of something that is so clearly a work in progress.

^^^^ This. Chris was clear that they from the Alpha phase, so I can't imagine they are even close to the final product.

Take your time and make us all proud. Release it on Dec 16th, 2015. Bulge 71st Anniversary.

It will be the very best Bulge wargame ever made. You guys are gonna dig deep and bust outside the box like that Alien chestburster creature.

You're gonna come up with stuff to knock our socks off. 

How about for scenario editor a new status for vehicles in the dropdown menu...."immobilized-no fuel"

Then a new objective type on the map in that dropdown....."Fuel supply" and then some of your vehicles get topped off, at least in a campaign....

Break

Mark Ezra the wonderful guy that he is, just made a no promises offer to take a look at Los's Bulge map. How come BFC doesn't just do that as a matter of course? I mean it could result in some good inputs for QB's if you had some rules for submission into the "Ronco TransMapafication Machine 3000". File names already in Mark's new format. All the set up zones per standards for Attk, ME, etc. If they send it in the wrong format, you reject it right away. Forumites could huddle together to share tips on getting a QB accepted. Just another crazy idea I guess....

Because there was a clamour for them?

Isn't BFC at every opportunity emphasizing loudly that only they know what is good for business, when customers make suggestions?

IIRC it was already around December that they had announced that Bulge was developed parallel with Black Sea and therefore that Bulge was claimed to be more or less already almost done and only the artistic finetuning was taking place.

Now we are almost three months later, no graphical and atmospheric improvements at all even torwards CMFI can be seen, tactics and realism will not be improved, because the engine will stay the same and one week or so ago we learned, that they not even have started to work on new features for the engine.

Strangely those "pissing and moaning" customers will naver be satsified...

Because there was a clamour for them? With all the pissing and moaning about how bad they are, I'd hardly expect BFC to be keen to throw a bone ever again. Though they're probably used to the ingrates now.

Yes...Some peolpe complaine about these pictures, including me....That's sort of what i meant with my last post...Why show these pictures when they have nothing to show...No improvements...Nothing new...This is just asking for negative comments.

I  realize that they are WIP pictures but my point is that it might have been better to not have shown them at all at this stage...Can you guys honestly say that you weren't dissapointed and a bit concerned when you saw those Pictures..?

It looks like the tanks were shown as an example of how they will come with the game...snow camouflaged. If I were BFC, i wouldn't even bother showing or telling anything until release day. They just get incessant whining and baseless speculation when they throw bones.

Don't like it, don't buy it. What's so difficult about that concept?

Let us think positively. It will be great. Give it time. They should set up the forum and let the ideas flow in. Maybe 1000 ideas and 5 could work. 5 they may not have thought of. Free ideas.

Like snow drift flavor objects. 3D objects that can tuck into the lower edge of a building to make snow look more intense and deep. Same thing around the base of trees and poles, etc.

ideas_zpsznrvcnlk.jpg

Rocking Harry had some really great stuff. I sure hope they filter through this and jot down some that they should seriously consider. No harm if it goes in the round file, at least they took 5 seconds to read it.

I keep wondering about deep snow and how it will be handled. Will it block line of sight but be penetrable?. I assume moving through deep snow will be more difficult but how will that be presented?. Will we see soldiers and vehicles sinking into it? Can you dig into it, out of it? Will we see tracks? Will tracks give away fog of war?. Stay tuned!

I agree with Kohlenklau. It WILL be great. These guys NEVER let us down so far. Screenshots are Alpha, so let's be realistic about them. Rejoice about all the units and vehicles included. This year it's really going to be a great Christmas with very little peace on earth. :)

Edited by Aragorn2002

If I were BFC, i wouldn't even bother showing or telling anything until release day. They just get incessant whining and baseless speculation when they throw bones.

Don't like it, don't buy it. What's so difficult about that concept?

I understand that getting negative feedback on your work is not something that you want but it might not be all together a bad thing either. If everybody who commented on these pictures said "WOW ! thanks, Battlefront...These pictures looks great" then mayby BFC would considder them to be 'good enough'...

"let's release this..."

I don't think that any of us that have voiced concern about these pictures takes any pleasure in...COMPLAINING...We just want's the game to be as good as possible and that we would rather see BFC holding off on the release for a while longer to get some improvements in...

After all..The BULGE GAME is expected to set the future standard for winter conditions...Not only in this game but also in the comming expansions to RT and CMFI...

I'm for one is hoping for something simular to Kohlenklaus last picture so seeing those pictures and hearing statements from battlefront that the game is pretty far along in its development got me concerned...

But you are absolutely right ! If we don't like it we don't have to buy it....(the problem is... i want to buy it B))

Edited by RepsolCBR

I keep wondering about deep snow and how it will be handled. Will it block line of sight but be penetrable?. I assume moving through deep snow will be more difficult but how will that be presented?. Will we see soldiers and vehicles sinking into it? Can you dig into it, out of it? Will we see tracks? Will tracks give away fog of war?. Stay tuned!

I have thought about that too, but highly suspect that we won't see soldiers and vehicles sinking into deep snow as the current engine doesn't handle terrain adapting to units. But maybe we can get an effect similar to tanks kicking up dirt, but instead flecks of snow as troops and tanks move through it. Something akin to the movement through water. As long as it doesn't take too much of a toll on FPS.

My major gripe with how deep snow looks now is, well, it doesn't look deep but rather like a flat white floor. Maybe they can fiddle with the look of the surface to make it more uneven to give the impression of depth. As far as I can tell, snow isn't a terrain feature in the editor, but something applied afterwards. Maybe a solution is to create a wide variety of snow terrain tiles in the editor?

I'm sure the game will be great. BFC never dissappoints in the end. I'll get it for sure. But my hopes are still high for an improvement over CMFI looks and handling of snow.

Edited by rocketman