Map size and lethality

Dynaman216

I think that CM terrain not only looks "flat"...it feels flat.

I know there is some microterrain abstraction but its way to low if you ask me.

While in real life grenade launchers, mortars and anti-materiel rifles are used to kill enemys behind cover, in CM there is nearly no such "cover" and thats why even 5.56mm ammunition from 300m away is able to inflict huge casualties on defenders in a forest.

That's is more the result of the way a map is designed then anything else. CM is perfectly capable of depicting realistic undulations capable of concealing soldiers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's is more the result of the way a map is designed then anything else. CM is perfectly capable of depicting realistic undulations capable of concealing soldiers.

In the real world there is often some cover on a scale smaller than 8 metres. The abstraction on this scale can be problematic: often cowering would hide you completely from bullets, while in CM the casualties keep happening.

In the real world there is often some cover on a scale smaller than 8 metres. The abstraction on this scale can be problematic: often cowering would hide you completely from bullets, while in CM the casualties keep happening.

Microterrain is modeled though, even if it is not visible. I am not sure to which extent it is modeled, but it is there. I ve often read about it on the forums and IIRC even in some of the game manuals.

Certain current events taking place in Eastern Ukraine currently. No T-90s AFAIK, but Russian T-72B3s have been knocked out by Ukrainian forces.

You mean that?

http://andrei-bt.livejournal.com/308359.html

It wasn't knocked out, they say that it was captured by Kiev forces, then captured back by militamen, then Russian TV journalists make that photos. And showed it on TV. Very strange story.

Microterrain is modeled though, even if it is not visible. I am not sure to which extent it is modeled, but it is there. I ve often read about it on the forums and IIRC even in some of the game manuals.

The game has a "saving throw" system. Where when a soldier is intersected by a bullet. There is a chance that the bullet doesn't hurt them at all. This chance depends upon the terrain the soldier occupies.

The problem is that eventually a saving throw will fail. So it allows weight of fire to kill off any infantry in any position given sufficient time.

They seem to be pretty conservative about adding "soon to be deployed" equipment, which is good. I wouldn't be against adding some of the more questionable stuff in a future "funnies" unit pack however. It would make for some fun "what if" scenarios.

(personal opinion here, not an announcement or promise) I'd love to do a pack or module or something similar for Black Sea that goes slightly further into the future and has some new stuff like the Armata platform and M1A3 Abrams.

Hopefully this won't turn into a political debate. We really don't care how the B3s wound up in that current part of the world. We just want to make sure they are modeled correctly. ;)

I am not sure in anything about weapon supplies, so I wouln't argue about that. :)

I know there is some microterrain abstraction but its way to low if you ask me.

While in real life grenade launchers, mortars and anti-materiel rifles are used to kill enemys behind cover, in CM there is nearly no such "cover" and thats why even 5.56mm ammunition from 300m away is able to inflict huge casualties on defenders in a forest.

Well, that remains to be seen as far as modern goes. CMSF didn't have any kind of underlying forest tiles, it was just trees on a couple types of grass (now we have all kinds of variations). People seem to be pretty weary about fighting in or into forests since CMBN came out. I guess we'll know more once CMBS hits.

Mord.

Hi,,

I think this one going to be fascinating.

There is a general unwinding of Global Governance and un - pooling of sovereignty afoot. For good or ill. After a pause defence spending will start rise again even in the west as history once again is played out in the usual way.

So after a twenty – five year break I am keen to learn how contemporary, high intensity war may play out. The “fantasy games...” that purport to model future war do not interest me. But CMX2 with its feet firmly planted in as near to reality as possible is ideal. Very exciting in fact.

I would love to see the Germans in the first module as replaying the WWII battles, over today’s terrain would hugely good fun. An ideal way to learn how contemporary, high intensity warfare may workout. It would be colourful and fun. Entire campaigns refought that way ;).

As it is after learning some of the basics I will be using the US to replay many WWII battles over the terrain as it is now.

Battlefront has done a great job in picking what kit to give each side. Not an easy call. Hope they retain their caution. But as new kit is issued, even in small numbers initially... of course let’s see it.

My guess is a lot of Russian kit will become available over the next couple of years. There is a huge list of stuff that already exists.

This is going to be cracker.. :).

All the best,

Kip.

That may be an affect of fighting 20 feet up and 20 feet back in 'eye of God' position. If you play down in the weeds with the troops its easy to use the micro-terrain features for concealment and cover. I've often joked that people tend to raise the camera level up to just where they lose all the detail then they stay at that height - then they complain about the lack of detail!

Will the smoke be thermal or IR blocking ? That could be useful for the Russians and will effectively negate the javelin and abrams long ronge kill capabilities. Drop a thermal and IR blocking smoke screen in front of suspected enemy positions and suddenly you fight at ranges where the javelin is confined to direct attack fire mode (wayyyy less effective) and the abrams can be killed frontally with a well placed shot in a weak spot (much easier to do at point blank)

Will the smoke be thermal or IR blocking ? That could be useful for the Russians and will effectively negate the javelin and abrams long ronge kill capabilities. Drop a thermal and IR blocking smoke screen in front of suspected enemy positions and suddenly you fight at ranges where the javelin is confined to direct attack fire mode (wayyyy less effective) and the abrams can be killed frontally with a well placed shot in a weak spot (much easier to do at point blank)

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1564720#post1564720