Re. Shipping preorders..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way it usually works is that the parcel is held up at the nearest depot and you get a notice in the post saying that you need to go pick it up and pay the duty (much like if you were out and got a notice saying the parcel has been returned to the depot). You go and have to pay the duty over the counter there and pick up the item straight away.

Same here, how will i be expected to pay?

Well, several ways. One of the usual ones is that the carrier pays upfront the local authorities and then they invoice you for any additional fees (usually the VAT difference or equivalent). I ve received many such invoices from the likes of UPS or similar for goods delivered from the US here in Denmark for example. You can elect not to pay or "forget" but then you may be added to a black list, incur additional late payment charges etc.

Another method is that the package is delivered to your local post system who retains the package, notifies you of same and you need then to pay up when collecting.

I presume that a quick enquiry from BFC to its selected carrier for this delivery should easily clarify things. These carriers (if private) should know this stuff well as it is a critical issue for their cashflow.

If it's coming via Royal Mail, then a quick web search finds this: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P26_2855

Just scroll down to section 3.3. Basically, they send you a note in the regular mail saying "hahaha we have your CM:BN CD, pay up!". Then you can either pay online or at a post office. Then they finally send you the CD (minus their "handling charge", of course).

The VAT you have to pay is 17.5% on the cost of the game plus shipping - so 17.5% on the $80 (which will be about £8.50 or so). The royal mail handling fee is unpredictable since it depends on what they have had to do, which depends on whether the item was shipped with correct paperwork etc. I'd be surprised if it was much more than another 10% (maybe more, maybe less).

My order confirmation has the shipper as DHL (Western Europe) and I have no idea what they will charge.

For comparison, a recent package shipped from the US with a value for customs as 54 USD, attracted the standard 17.5% VAT and what was described as "Royal Mail International Handling Fee" of 8 GBP.

The "handling fee" was a surprise to me; "extortion demand" seems a more appropriate term.

The only thing stopping me from switching my order to download only is the printed manual.

My order confirmation has the shipper as DHL (Western Europe) and I have no idea what they will charge.

For comparison, a recent package shipped from the US with a value for customs as 54 USD, attracted the standard 17.5% VAT and what was described as "Royal Mail International Handling Fee" of 8 GBP.

The "handling fee" was a surprise to me; "extortion demand" seems a more appropriate term.

The only thing stopping me from switching my order to download only is the printed manual.

If you order after release, you can still download straight away, and get the manual (and box) later on shipped from germany by the sounds of it at a much lower cost re imports. If you are prepared to wait a while for the manual to arrive, the only thing you lose out on by not pre-ordering is the steel box.

If you order after release, you can still download straight away, and get the manual (and box) later on shipped from germany by the sounds of it at a much lower cost re imports. If you are prepared to wait a while for the manual to arrive, the only thing you lose out on by not pre-ordering is the steel box.

Good point thanks.

As the poet said, "And time yet for a hundred indecisions, And for a hundred visions and revisions,".....

I think it has been said that there will be no printed manuals in the hardcopies that go out after release. It'll probably just be a CD in a paper envelope.

I think it has been said that there will be no printed manuals in the hardcopies that go out after release. It'll probably just be a CD in a paper envelope.

Not so. They are running out of steel boxes, but have a lot more manuals than boxes. Harware versions sent out for some time after release will have a manual, but one day the manuals will run out and they're not aiming to print any more.

So are you saying that for a US$80 game you had to pay ~US$60 duty?

:confused:

Yep...included customs duty and Vat ..UPS wanted £30....luckly it had been a mistake and the game was being sent for free so it was agift unfortunately this wasnt mentioned on the form insetad it said it had been bought...so I had to tell them to take it back and refused payment...ended up getting a download instead.

So yes it can expensive...I was shocked...very shocked at the cost.

hmmm.. with all this talk of extra fees for international customers for import vat, I'm very curious.. for some reason I'm holding out on buying this game in the initial first wave of pre/release due to being distracted from my study by its awesomeness ...

how much to Australia then i wonder ?!?.. any Aus poster have any idea :D ?

hmmm.. with all this talk of extra fees for international customers for import vat, I'm very curious.. for some reason I'm holding out on buying this game in the initial first wave of pre/release due to being distracted from my study by its awesomeness ...

how much to Australia then i wonder ?!?.. any Aus poster have any idea :D ?

GST doesnt apply to items imported under $1000 in Australia :)

I have only had a few parcels stopped by Canada Customs in all my years of ordering on-line. I usually pay 5% GST (our VAT) plus $8 handling fee. I even had to pay the handling fee when the item was GST exempt which ticked me off. It happens so seldom though and with the North American Free Trade Agreement helping it seems I have never had a major problem. (Though do not ask me about the clock that I ordered and was sent UPS. Cost of clock $40, cost of Canadian Customs for some reason $25 and it was the wrong clock sent)

In fact, if people in the US just send the parcels through the US postal service it usually just arrives at my door like it was mailed from within Canada.