Re. Shipping preorders..

20% VAT and PO handling fees? Baaa. Gideon and (semi) private companies milk the sheeple.

I like the way customs works here. Go to post office, have a chat with the chap and maybe a quick cup of tea, pay nothing except 50p (equiv.) handling fee no matter the size/cost. Everytime I go back to the UK I wonder what happened to the country of my birth...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(Though do not ask me about the clock that I ordered and was sent UPS. Cost of clock $40, cost of Canadian Customs for some reason $25 and it was the wrong clock sent)

In fact, if people in the US just send the parcels through the US postal service it usually just arrives at my door like it was mailed from within Canada.

The UPS was probably the problem-- a large part of the $25 was probably a "customs broker" fee charged by UPS in addition to the actual customs charge. We got burned on this (fortunately on inexpensive things) when my girlfriend moved to Canada. We have the same experience as you with stuff sent USPS-- it arrives pretty much as if it were sent Canada Post, and on the occasions that they charge customs fees there's little or no add-on. We've also learned to send to her work address for anything that does go UPS, as her work has its own customs brokers and standing instructions with the courier services to route things that way.

When I sent her a coffee maker as a gift I ordered it from Sears Canada. They managed to send a deep fryer instead, and then made a total mess (resulting in something like 6 pages of notes at sears) of trying to pick it up, refund it, and send a proper coffee maker in its place. I was tempted to just have my credit card company charge them back and tell them the deep fryer was still sitting on the secretary's desk, waiting for them to send their courier to pick it up.

The UK is crazy. This is so bad that there should be a trade dispute filed by the United States because this is effectively a barrier to free trade.

Steve

I don't think there has ever been free trade, possibly not since the days of the empire!

Also, some UK banks also charge for an exchange rate transaction I think.

I was, and am concerned, at the charges and mentioned it some months ago. I have ordered three copies for me and friends to share the postal costs. However I do think that this is a clunky mechanism with no guarantee that we will escape VAT charges but the handling fee becomes less onerous I assume.

Hmm I pre ordered on day 1 - but I am obviously concerned about the possible costs incurred in the UK after shipping. But I will risk it - I can't miss out on this.. The last game was shipped from Germany which was also a pre-order at no further cost (obviously within the EU) so it will be interesting to see how much duty will be applied this time. Maybe I will get lucky - the last parcel from the US came through without any extra charges.

Hmm I pre ordered on day 1 - but I am obviously concerned about the possible costs incurred in the UK after shipping. But I will risk it - I can't miss out on this.. The last game was shipped from Germany which was also a pre-order at no further cost (obviously within the EU) so it will be interesting to see how much duty will be applied this time. Maybe I will get lucky - the last parcel from the US came through without any extra charges.

It is rather random. I've had parcels come in from the US with no extra charges, and I've had parcels from the same supplier (for the same kind and quantity of goods) get whacked for VAT and handling fees to a depressing degree.

Are you feling lucky, punk?

A quick question which I may have missed, does BF send via a courier to the uk or by normal post? In the past I have received normal post avoiding the costs and via courier such as dhl, the couriers have always (as u would expect) had to pass on the extra tax/cost. With the post I might just win the lottery .

One other question, did I read that the plan is for the modules to be shipped within the eu for international orders or am I wishful thinking, this has a bearing on canceling and going to download for me.

I called my local customs office and he told me right away that for the EU you have to add your country's VAT again, even if the US taxes are already applied. In addition I have to pay a customs handling fee which drives the total price to ~120$.

So if you have any questions, it's best to call your local customs office and explain the situation and the price of the product.

Re: Spain.

I've ordered a number of things from outside the EU to Spain and I've never been charged any import/VAT extra fees. BUT I believe that it may be a matter of luck, just like UK chaps are experiencing.

I'm taking my chances with this, but IMHO BTF should do their best to improve their service in Europe. Using international publishers could help (or actually make things worse, I've experienced both things).

How about BF charge only for the download option? They could then send the DVD as a free "gift" to their customers and thus we could avoid customs duty.

:-p

Would incur extra cost, since all parcels would have to confirm to "gift wrapping specification" and be badly hand-wrapped in a combination of newspaper and bin-liner so are practically falling apart by the time they arrive. At least that's what my in-laws seem to do...

Ok.

So now I have the option to cancel my pre-order. Great.

But BFC has not stated how long we have to decide and do that. It may take us sometime to accurately find out what (if any) extra charges we will be subject to.

Can we reserve the "right" to take such decission up and until the time of actual shipping? Will we be notified prior to that shipping date so we can exercise the cancellation option?

Otherwise is BFC going to state any deadline for this cancellation policy?

It´s just that I would not like to be notified the product has shipped before I know how much additional I have to pay and can therefore take an informed decission.

The UK is crazy. This is so bad that there should be a trade dispute filed by the United States because this is effectively a barrier to free trade.

Steve

It will all be sorted when you see the error of your ways and ask to come back into the empire

Ok.

So now I have the option to cancel my pre-order. Great.

But BFC has not stated how long we have to decide and do that. It may take us sometime to accurately find out what (if any) extra charges we will be subject to.

Can we reserve the "right" to take such decission up and until the time of actual shipping? Will we be notified prior to that shipping date so we can exercise the cancellation option?

Otherwise is BFC going to state any deadline for this cancellation policy?

It´s just that I would not like to be notified the product has shipped before I know how much additional I have to pay and can therefore take an informed decission.

good point, Viajero. Let´s see if you have an answer for it

I'm living in Europe. ;)

Doesn't mean that I can just throw 120$ out the window... I've put the 80$ aside when I heard that CM:BN was going to be released, there's no way I can afford 120$. :(

Looks like i will be paying upwards of $100 too but in instalments :) ... first on the pre-order , second on the tax on collection i guess :) ... I must admit this was news to me too.

When purchasing the subsequent modules will we have the same issue or will they be shipped (assembled) from the European warehouse ?

Im going download only and I plan on printing it off at my local library it cosys 5p a sheet, not sure if thats any help just a suggestion

Thanks for the suggestion. I have asked about the costs of printing PDFs from a local printer and was quoted a price of about 20 GBP for a 150 page book. No binding included at that price.

I wouldn't mind so much paying the extra costs if the money were going to BFC, it's the middle men taking their cut for doing not very much that gets me so irritated.