56 New Beta Screenshots added (first glimpse of Syrian Uncons)

Since it has been a few weeks since we posted any screenshots we figured you might like to see the sort of progress we have been making with Combat Mission: Shock Force. You will notice a lot of new flavor objects, many new buildings with ledges and balconies, the impressive Mosque model as well as, for the first time, glimpses of some of the Syrian Uncon (unconventional) troops including Uncon Fighters (better trained and equipped) and Uncon Combatants (more ad-hoc units with little training and less organization).

CM%20Shock%20Force%20Debug%202007-05-15%2014-50-29-42.jpg

Combat Mission: Shock Force Screenshot Galleries

Madmatt

"...im confused at the sniper in the middle of the road, dead."

Thrown off the roof by Stephen Segal probably ;)

One surprise I see is the shadows have been SUBSTANTIALLY tweaked from previous screenshots. Maybe this shows progress, maybe we're finally seeing screenshots off a computer with something other than an ATI card :D

I don't know if this has been mentioned before anywhere but a few of these pictures seem to stand out and tell me something about this game. The bottom left screen shot of page 2 for instance. Look at where the soldiers in the buildings are all standing. They are all near windows or doors and are positions of covering each other. Then look at all the other pics of units in similar situations. Looks to me like BFC has modeled units inside a building very well. Well done guys!

this arouses several questions, ahem.

1. I see that some of the soldiers lying prone have their fingers off the trigger and in the safety position, do they actually move their fingers to fire? Yes, stupid question, and i don't care if they do or don't, im just curious.

2. When dismounted and idle, do soldiers on roofs or wherever occasionally raise their rifle to scan the horizon with their scopes like i so often see in Iraq. Once again, i don't care, but it would be kinda cool...

3. I see that the Camelbak (or the entire OTV?) is not camo'd. Thats wierd because most i see are in ACU. Once again, i don't care, it just looks a little funky to me when its not in ACU, i guess thats just personal preference.

4. Are all the dead bodies in the same position, or are there many? or did you guys incorporate ragdolls?

5. I see an Uncon in a bulding with an RPG, can he fire it?

sorry to pummel you with these questions, i figured if i could ask anywhere, it would be here.

Too me the contrast between surfaces in light and in shadow seems to be way too low.

Also objects, like soldiers and palm trees, seem not to make shadows on themselves. I always had to look at the shadow on the ground, to know, where the sun comes from, not by looking on the objects themselves.

To me the open terrain doesn't look that 3dimensional, making a grid view obsolete, too.

[ May 17, 2007, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]

Hi, just a quick point, the mosque in those screenshots doesn't have any minarets, are those likely to be added at some point?

I think that they would be a tactically significant feature - Observation, sniping, broadcasting messages of peace and love etc...

Apart from that the shots look fantastic!

I found out what is wrong with these screenshots:

On the one hand there are the Strykers and the buildings without any noticeable contrast or shading, on the other hand there are the bushes, palm trees, and Uncons, which are rather well saturated and, therefore, stand out unnaturally in each picture.

The way shading is handled in these pictures is not optimal, IMHO. Also, the bushes have this clear-cut line at the bottom that makes them look unnatural at first sight.

Something else that I do not understand is that the explosions produce these huge craters, yet the stuff that is thrown out (the debris texture) does not even reach the rim of the crater! Very strange!

In any case: please crank up the darkness of the shadows. I was looking out at 19:00 on a rainy day and saw pitch-black shadows at least *under* the cars.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by VonWebb:

If you need any non-canned music for the game... please be sure to let me know. i'll make you a nice opening original score for the splash screens or what-not.

hey, it's what i do ;)

-Lon

Can you can do it in a style evocative of both the Middle East and North America? </font>