56 New Beta Screenshots added (first glimpse of Syrian Uncons)

Originally posted by VonWebb:

If you need any non-canned music for the game... please be sure to let me know. i'll make you a nice opening original score for the splash screens or what-not.

hey, it's what i do ;)

-Lon

Lon thanks for the offer but CMSF already has some exceptional custom music from a very well known and critically acclaimed game and movie composer, Daniel Sadowski.

In the future though, you should contact me via email (matt@battlefront.com) with your resume and audio samples and perhaps we could work with you.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Homo ferricus:

how come the ACU pattern and color of the backpacks atop the Strykers are different from the pattern and color of the ACU on the infantry?

Thats why its called it a beta ;)

The solider uniforms were done way back before the uniforms were even introduced and has too much saturation overall. Before release we will normalise the colour of both items.

*raises hand*

I have a question. I love the little ditches and subtle elevation changes. I noticed in several of the screenies troops lining up single file in the ditches/tire-ruts and I wondered if the player had placed them that way, or had the troops automatically sought the low ground?

First of all, it's cool that there will be such variations in terrain to play with. Secondly, it'd be great if the troops automatically adopt a formation that takes advantage of any defensive terrain features present (if that is indeed what is happening).

So, is that what is happening in the screen shots?

Gpig

The player has no control over individual soldiers, but just like in the earlier CM games is ordering around squads and/or teams (the latter way more often then in the earlier games). The individual soldiers react to cover and terrain variations automatically due to clever use of a technique called ActionSpots. So yeah, what you are seeing Gpig is what is happening.

Martin

Moon,

Things seem to be progressing nicely. The long range vistas are impressive, the cityscape more cluttered, grubbier and disheveled, as opposed to the shape the mosque is in. Great to have telephone poles at last, but the lack of wires (as in many) festooning them somewhat spoils the effect. I notice the roads are now cambered and have drainage ditches, too. Nice!

The muzzle flashes seem awfully bright given the remaining daylight, and I grok what someone was saying about the relative blurriness of the Strykers and men as compared to the buildings and trees. I've seen CamelBaks in the field sans camouflage and even not in the same color range as the uniforms, but many of those were from when soldiers were buying their own. Love the way the men automatically take up cover positions! Will wells, fountains, maybe even watering troughs for animals be included? Would expect to see things like them in the villages and such. Speaking of animals, any camels, goats, donkeys and dogs to be had?

As for the sniper, clearly the Dragunov was flattened by an M1, though mysteriously, the scope glass deformed instead of shattering, after which the Americans used a "drop" corpse they carry around for just such occasions. Crush a Dragunov, add a drop corpse and presto! Credit for a sniper kill! How long do you figure it'll be before the Uncons are sporting Hamas parade whites, complete with white balaclavas and special head scarves?

Regards,

John Kettler

First, thanks for the screenies. It looks pretty good overall, and I hope will be a blast to play.

My notes (or criticisms):

jpg 14-55-38-60: the animation of US forces lying down looks very unnatural physiologically, and also unnatural physically.

jpg 15-04-57-49: again, lying down, the bodies appear to float over the road, due to non-attached shadows.

jpg 15-06-35-24: the US soldier closest to the camera has a peanut head. Seriously, is that a size 2 helmet? The guy is whacked.

jpg 15-15-10-24: the Syrian RPG gunner appears to have a severe hip injury, based on his body positioning whilst prone.

Additionally, the shots with US soldiers in Strykers uniformly appear to have the wrong scale. I know the Stryker is big, but the soldiers are far too small. They appear to be 3/4 scale. Again, this is for soldiers INSIDE the Strykers.

Finally, the Air Support icon on the GUI. It appears to be an A-6, although that could be a result of the scale of the shot. Obviously, that's just a place-holder for a REAL, active inventory ground-attack capable aircraft; right? Like the F-35, F-22, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18E/F, etc, etc.

Take these comments in the spirit they're meant - to improve the game BEFORE it's released.

Thanks,

Ken

Someone mentioned the funky masks:

fallujahba29gz.jpg?t=1179503264

I've seen photos of whole marching parades of guys in masks but I'm too lazy today to hunt them down. ;)

I think masks are worn for the same reason why Special Foces and police SWAT teams wear masks. BIG psychological impact. Not hard to imagine the intimidation difference between two teenage boys entering your shop and the same two as hooded gunmen - plus lets not forget the 'superhero' psychology of being the guy under the mask.

[ May 18, 2007, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by VonWebb:

If you need any non-canned music for the game... please be sure to let me know. i'll make you a nice opening original score for the splash screens or what-not.

hey, it's what i do ;)

-Lon

Lon thanks for the offer but CMSF already has some exceptional custom music from a very well known and critically acclaimed game and movie composer, Daniel Sadowski.

In the future though, you should contact me via email (matt@battlefront.com) with your resume and audio samples and perhaps we could work with you.

Madmatt </font>

Von,

I would certainly say you should get a new rig to play this. Its not one of those things where you are "upgrading" to get "better" internet. (Yes I have heard people say they were upgrading to get faster internet. smile.gif )

The thing with CMSF is that it looks like its going to be a great game and the expense is worth it as you will be playing this 3-5 years from now and the modules will only increase the investment value for you. So a few thousand now for 4 years is less than you would give to your local coffee shop in that span. You may not get as wired on caffine, but you do get to blow up people and avoid lengthy jail terms.

Oh ya I cant wait to hear the artillery. Bet it will make the hair stand up on my neck!!!! smile.gif

All,

Wanted to inform you that per tonight's CNN Headline News, troops in Iraq are wearing some diverse outfits. Saw digital camo mit OD CamelBak, full digital camo everything, digital camo with dark olive pack, digital camo with brown tactical vest, etc. The mod types could have a field day!

VonWebb,

Liked your piece!

Regards,

John Kettler