Why Battlefront should write, II. (my 2 cents)

Guest Guest

Regardless of Adam's partial meltdown, in the case I can think of it was possibly justified, what he said is a pretty accurate assessment for me and my small circle of CM friends. If you go back and complile everything I have tried to say over the last three months, it pretty much matches what Adam has put together.

Take a look around the web. Show me one forum that is focused on CM and then show me what positive things are being said about CMSF. You can go on about not getting it all you want, but if most people don't get it, there may well be nothing left to get.

As far as BFC being brusque, no doubt. It is generally acceptable if the product is delivered, but being brusque quickly crosses over to being arrogant and prickly when things start heading south.

I am hoping that BFC's absence is because of the realization they are slowly alienating a good portion of their core audience with their responses. I hope they are sitting around the campfire with their beta tester firends trying to figure out how to turn it around. I consider BFC an old friend and a little community I can visit and have fun. It is getting less and less fun.

The silence is pretty understandable really. I'm sure BFC can't be happy with the way things have gone. It must be pretty soul destroying for them actually.

If you think of it this way, maybe when the game first came out they rushed to brush aside complaints only on further examination to discover the complaints had genuine merit, leaving them with egg on their faces. The policy now seems to be, don't say anything unless you are absolutely sure about your facts. I don't buy the suggestion that this is just rudeness.

With luck, the v1.05 patch will be available for download soon, and will resolve a lot of the problems currently being seen. I say we cut them some slack, wait for the patch, and then see where we are. Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

I'd like to cast a vote of support for Adam in his comments. Yes, he's frustrated, but so am I.

I genuinely want BFC to succeed and to see this community revive again, so it's frustrating to watch BFC dig a hole with the state of CMSF on release, then dig it deeper and deeper with their follow-on responses in this forum.

I can understand that BFC might have gotten themselves into a financial jam with the Paradox deal. Perhaps they HAD to release CMSF just to keep an income stream going. I can understand that, if not condone it.

But Adam is right that the combination of "spin" and the lack of any real detail about the game mechanics are things that BFC has full control over and for which they are losing my loyalty.

It just seems that the BFC of CMX1 has been replaced by an entirely different company. I hope the old BFC will make a return after this silence.

Chris

Originally posted by Adam1:

Battlefront, you do realize you launched a product in worse condition than just about any other commercial software package in years, right?

One word... Vista. Really, bugs and subsequent large or multiple patches are a fact of life today, get over it. They are working on the next patch, be patient.

While I agree with most of the OP, I can see where Steve was coming from in trying to rebut some of the negativity about the game. All the issues had been posted many times over, and even now, we are still seeing the same old complaints.

What happened though is that he got sucked into the negative spiral instead of clearly explaining what was good, what was not so good, what was working as planned and what wasn't.

That is why I posted a suggestion to resurrect the Blog, which, as I assume was originally the intention, is a good place to post facts without being drawn into an unproductive discussion.

An official FAQ on the Blog would have been a great thing to have in the early weeks, and even now it is not too late.

One word... Vista. Really, bugs and subsequent large or multiple patches are a fact of life today, get over it. They are working on the next patch, be patient.
Like Vista, there actually are some pretty great design concepts in CMx2 under the hardware incompatibility and nasty bugs.

The lack of comments on even the most basic questions is certainly disappointing, but while it may hurt feelings (and I also think it does!), it does not affect the game itself too much.

What really concerns me is the absolute lack of new scenarios on CMMODs. I just checked, and from what I could tell, "Chance Encounter" is one week old already (or even older, if it was updated in the meantime?).

Only today, a new scenario has been posted (Another block).

At this rate, there is simply nothing to play and discuss left any more, patch or not.

Best regards,

Thomm

I agree with rollstoy, the game mechanics are new to us and when we ask questions and need genuine answers we dont get them.

I am curious about one thing, we have heard "i think we should wait for the next patch" kind of coments since release, how long are people going to keep hopeing the next patch fixes things?

( I for one am a sucker for a good wargame and will anticipate "that next pacth" untill they are onto the ww2 release )

Perhaps it's only my fault, but I'm not surprised any more with BFC's reactions (or lack of them). I think they made some terrible mistakes starting from the basic idea to leave the old concepts, but what troubles me more is that they are topping those mistakes up with new ones all the time. I wonder where this will lead to. I'd hate to see all the "I told you so" comments here.

I didn't find this forum until some time after CMBB release. I found BFC to be pretty straightforward, and the same goes for the CMSF forum during development.

Could those that have been here since CMBB release (or earlier) tell me, has BFC been this "quiet" before or is it really unusual?

Originally posted by Spindry69:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Adam1:

Battlefront, you do realize you launched a product in worse condition than just about any other commercial software package in years, right?

One word... Vista. Really, bugs and subsequent large or multiple patches are a fact of life today, get over it. They are working on the next patch, be patient. </font>

I have a different take on this. CMSF did not go in the direction I wanted to see it go. I also believe the game bit off more then it can chew with the 1 to 1 soldier representation on screen, especially with picky group like wargamers...

With 1.04 patch the game works pretty well, better in some ways then CMBO, worse in others.

The problem is that it is not the game I wanted, and I'm not slamming BF for that - I won't be pre-ordering another title though...

Originally posted by dynaman200:

I have a different take on this. CMSF did not go in the direction I wanted to see it go. I also believe the game bit off more then it can chew with the 1 to 1 soldier representation on screen, especially with picky group like wargamers...

With 1.04 patch the game works pretty well, better in some ways then CMBO, worse in others.

The problem is that it is not the game I wanted, and I'm not slamming BF for that - I won't be pre-ordering another title though...

This is exactly how I feel about CMSF too. It is a great effort but falls short of expectations. It seems indeed they bit off more than they could chew.

The game is much better in many areas compared to CMx1, yet doesn't have the appeal of the original. It just doesn't seem to do it for me, much as I would like it too. Maybe with 1.05, I don't know.

The eerie silence of BFC is a mystery to me. I hope they come back with a vengeance with the WWII game. The engine has huge potential, but needs more effort.

Just my 0.02

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Who cares anymore?

I was expecting more, but caring? Maybe not.

Disappointed... yea.

I recall EY and his team getting their @ss kicked from one end of his forum to the other when his product was in trouble, (GIC or was it EYSA? ...can't recall anymore)and funny thing is he hung in there. CMSF is not nearly as hosed up as that, but the response from the developers has been.

Adam's post is right on the money.

Adam is right.

It is very disappointing that we were all duped into play testing BFSF. This is nothing new for Paradox games as the two titles that I have purchased of thiers never worked properly. I resolved to never buy another of thier games as a result.

I purchased the game from the BFC web site based on my good experience with them in the past (silly me). I was shocked to see Paradox involved in the project, as my experience with them has been so bad in the past.

The total disreguard of the opinion of loyal BFC customers on the WEGO live and QB problems is very disappoining. For me these were the heart of the BFC systems and at present I get little to no enjoyment from the title as a result. For now BFSF is a waste of my money and space on my hard drive. I patiently wait for each patch hoping that I will be able to start playing and enjoying it as much as I still play and enjoy other BFC products.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

The silence is pretty understandable really.

I disagree.

Silence in a product crisis is never acceptable. Silence breeds useless and harmful speculation that aids no one's goal.

And since the very first day some of us have been pointing out to BFC that there is a difference between losing customers and pushing them away. They don't seem to have cared that much.

-dale

Originally posted by luderbamsen:

I didn't find this forum until some time after CMBB release. I found BFC to be pretty straightforward, and the same goes for the CMSF forum during development.

Could those that have been here since CMBB release (or earlier) tell me, has BFC been this "quiet" before or is it really unusual?

Been around since CMBO Beta. I don't think it is unusual. In fact I think it is a good sign.