What will make us buy the Marines module?

Thomm

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing players will find quite a few differences between the USMC TO&E and Stryker or Bradley infantry. For example aren't Marine squads bigger? How do support troops differ, e.g what's the difference in sniper teams? I don't know and would appreciate someone knowledgeable to elaborate.

Don't expect water or amphibious operations or on map helicopters. We might get new building types too.
Sheesh...can't they just color a flat tile dark blue-gray (or mud-gray), make it impassible to all units and label it 'water'? That would suffice for me. They could go the extra mile and make it passable to amtraks which graphically sink in about halfway when crossing.

I believe Rune told me they won't add modability so that no one can figure out "how to win the game". Which is bull****, apart from being moronic. Spell it out if you have to, but don't play stupid;

They won't add modability because the fan base would finish their next module before they even thought about making it.

Also, people would add really interesting things. Like T-80s and T-90s. Hind air support for red side. Awesome looking Leopard 2A6s.

And so forth.

And this OP kind of highlights this.

I probably won't buy a marine module unless it brings something awesome or something novel to the battlefield, and a marine module doesn't do that.

Maybe the next module will be based on a hypothetical situation where Egypt defeats Italy in the World Cup, and Italy retailiates by invading. The Brits (beaten by Italy in the semis) come to the aid of the Egyptians. The new "Americanized" French join the Italians and we have a new game that's at least as plausible as CM:SF--World Cup War I.

The Marines Module is next and it will build on the existing game system. There will be three things to look forward to:

1. Full array of Marines equipment and organization. Should be a very different experience from a tactics point of view.

2. Inclusion of Syrian Airborne equipment and TO&E. For sure this means BMP-3 and Milan ATGMs. We will include at least one new Syrian tank, which we had intended to be a T-80 but we are now leaning towards a T-90. The reason is Assad went on a shopping trip recently and it would seem that they're changing their wish list from T-80 (they actually had evaluation units some years ago) to T-90.

3. Some new game features. This is TBD but there won't be a radical change in the core game system over what we've patched between now and then. Large feature changes won't happen until the WWII game is out.

As for opening up the game engine to modding I've been extremely frank and honest about our reasons. I can't help it if some people don't like the answer. It's not something we think is in the customer's best interests or in our own. If someone wants to piss and moan about it (again), please find one of the 2 dozen threads that exist and bump it instead of creating yet another one.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

1. Full array of Marines equipment and organization. Should be a very different experience from a tactics point of view.

I wonder if you could expand on this? (Hey, SOMEONE'S gonna ask(!))

3. Some new game features. This is TBD but there won't be a radical change in the core game system over what we've patched between now and then. Large feature changes won't happen until the WWII game is out.
This is what I'm still curious about; the Module comes out - it is an "add-on" for the Title of Shock-Force, yes - meaning that it does just that - complements Shock Force by adding more kit. So that it would be possible to create a scenario or campaign with US Army, USMC, Syrian Army, Syrian Uncon, Syrian SF, and Syrian Airborne forces all represented in any combination? You don't have to pick one force set or another?

Originally posted by Sequoia:

I'm guessing players will find quite a few differences between the USMC TO&E and Stryker or Bradley infantry. For example aren't Marine squads bigger? How do support troops differ, e.g what's the difference in sniper teams? I don't know and would appreciate someone knowledgeable to elaborate.

Yes, Marine squads are bigger. 3 4-man fire teams each with its own SAW and 203, so expect Marine infantry to kick out more firepower. Marine sniper teams are 2-man teams, sniper and spotter. These guys are the stuff legends are made from. Marines have less artillery support than comparable Army formations (unless they are making an amphibious landing and then the Navy lends its support), but they have a boat load more direct air support.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I wonder if you could expand on this? (Hey, SOMEONE'S gonna ask(!))

This is what I'm still curious about; the Module comes out - it is an "add-on" for the Title of Shock-Force, yes - meaning that it does just that - complements Shock Force by adding more kit. So that it would be possible to create a scenario or campaign with US Army, USMC, Syrian Army, Syrian Uncon, Syrian SF, and Syrian Airborne forces all represented in any combination? You don't have to pick one force set or another? </font>