**** ROW V (Part 4) ****

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all my opponents:

I had an accident that involved me sticking a screwdriver in my left eye and breaking two fingers on my right (mouse) hand (don't ask how - it's a long story, but it f**king hurts...) - so turns may be a little slow over the next week or two while I recuperate.

Will endeavour to crank things out as quickly as poss.

Originally posted by (FGM) Panzertwat:

To all my opponents:

I had an accident that involved me sticking a screwdriver in my left eye and breaking two fingers on my right (mouse) hand (don't ask how - it's a long story, but it f**king hurts...) - so turns may be a little slow over the next week or two while I recuperate.Will endeavour to crank things out as quickly as poss.

:eek: Good grief! Don't spare us the details son.

OK, due to popular demand, here's the story...

The wife and I had bought an antique wing back chair which we planned to put upstairs in our master bedroom. Our house is a grade II listed 16th century thatched cottage - which consequently has two narrow staircases and some narrower than usual doorways.

Well, you can guess the next bit. The chair proved to be too big to get upstairs via one of the staircases and via the other, we had to take a couple of doors off to get it to the first landing.

I then determined that by removing the castors from the legs of the chair we would have an outside chance of getting it through the remaining two doorways (sans doors by this stage...).

So, I'm on my knees at the top of the stairs unscrewing the castors from the legs. This proved to be no easy task, due to the age of the screws etc.

I had my full weight behind the screwdriver (which, incidentally, I had just sharpened to fit into the screw slots) and was turning it, when it slipped out of the slot, hit the frame and bounced back straight into my left eye.

As I fell backwards, I instinctively put my right hand out to stop myself falling backwards down the stairs and in doing so, broke the index and middle fingers on my right hand.

So it was off to casualty with my eye pouring blood and my fingers twisted into angles they were never designed to reach.

After examination, I was told the screwdriver had punctured throught the cornea, then 'skidded' upwards across the iris before ending up tearing the through the white of the eye directly above the iris.

Trust me, it doesn't look very pretty.

The eye doctor told me that the eye had been cut or torn in six or seven places and consequently couldn't be stitched. However the good news is that he thinks the sight will return as the eye begins to heal - and true to his prediction this morning I began to see cloudy shapes which have gradually become a little more distinct as the day as gone on.

The real bummer is that I can't use a mouse for anything more than about 15mins or so at a stretch. And it's a little sore if I look at a monitor for too long.

But I should heal OK (I'm a quick healer generally, which is just as well...) and should be back to my usual losing ways asap.

Every cloud has a silver lining however, and consequently I've learnt one valuable lesson from this unhappy episode which I'd like to share:

In my next QB, I shan't be buying any German 150mm IGs.

I'll be spending the points on a company of engineers armed with freshly sharpened screwdrivers...

At first I was tempted to award him a couple of bonus points for being such a good sport, but then realized that could backfire, as it would lead to people "upping the ante".

The last thing I need is to find out someone performed Hari-Kari with a Sawzall just to have an extra 10 points added to their score.

At first I was tempted to award him a couple of bonus points for being such a good sport, but then realized that could backfire, as it would lead to people "upping the ante".

The last thing I need is to find out someone performed Hari-Kari with a Sawzall just to have an extra 10 points added to their score.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

i have my guts pouring out and NOW you tell me?! :eek:

(FGM) Panzertwat,

Sorry to hear you went through the kind of thing that rivals the guy who got his fingers crunched by a pulley, fell, then had bricks fall on him. Am glad you're recuperating well, especially in the eye. May I suggest that you get yourself some MSM (a naturally occurring form of biological sulfur)? It speeds healing generally (direct experience) and helps make membranes (like those in your eye) more flexible and permeable.

There's plenty of material on MSM use online, but you may prefer to seek out a book titled MSM: The Modern Miracle. Don't recall the authors, but they're the guys who made it by purifying DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide).

Speedy recovery!

John Kettler

OK, we are somewhere near the halfway point for the finals, and I am hoping that everything is going smoothly for everyone.

To date I have received only one score, that of Steve McClaire / Platehead in St. Nazaire, but I'm really not expecting many until much later. The 3 scenarios are bigger than the average, and that is why I gave you all 120+ days.

BTW, in case you are wondering, the deadline is (still) October 20th.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

To date I have received only one score, that of Steve McClaire / Platehead in St. Nazaire . . . October 20th.

Aha, so those slackers are capable of speedy turn exchange :eek: This 1-2 turns per week ain't gonna cut it.

Sivodisi had some computer problems and I haven't heard from him in close to 3 weeks. Sigh.