**** ROW V (Part 4) ****

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the two scenarios I've seen they are both very unique and no doubt challenging. I've just sent off my initial file for St. Nazaire while I'm still pondering what the hell to do with Tiger Valey but rest assured, the file will be sent soon.

As for Loaded for Bear, I haven't been sent the initial file yet but from the briefing I'm expecting it to be huge and will no doubt have to defrag my hard drive and turn off any virus checker to be able to run it judging by the description!

Regards

Jim R.

As part of the busy AAR evaluation team, I'd like to note for the record what I consider to be an astonishing jump in aggregate AAR quality and thoroughness over previous ROWs, making my job most difficult. Nor has humor, planned and inadvertent, been neglected.

For want of a comma, one person fielded a military

first--a 50-man bazooka team. Try hiding that in ambush! Another informed me that the Ju-88 (actually, Ju-52) was the transport used for airlanding units on Crete. Offsetting this was the, doubtless mortifying to the crews, morphing of British light tanks into armored cars. Even the Belgians were snubbed when the vital fortress of Eben Emael somehow became the rather churchy sounding Eben Emmanuel. Others, presumably with submittal deadlines baying at their heels, adopted a style at times so laconic as to be all but incomprehensible--loads of dropped verbs and sometimes practically whole sentences! Have found one case so far where graphics were described but were nowhere to be seen. The word processors used provided much glee, too, for time and again I'd see words like "Jerry," "paras" and such indignantly flagged in red while they blithely ignored outright word misuse, such as "there" for "their" and failed to catch other obvious errors.

Loved some of the witty picture annotations, was confused by references to what I think was a British antivomiting medication, and deem someone's characterization of an unexpected, large Luftwaffe offering as "a mother big bomb" absolutely stellar! Some exhibited such creativity that it was difficult to tell what was history and what was the gamer's AAR.

I have far more great AARs than I have nomination slots. Frankly, I'm dreading getting the master list back with all the nominees from the other reviewers. If the quality's even comparable, it'll make choosing the final handful a nightmare. After that, though, it's your problem!

Regards,

John Kettler

As one of those who was nearly felled by the deadline beasty, I appologize in advance for utter lack of structure, blatant disregard for grammar, and spelling that would make a 3rd grader weep.

I attempted to cover up the above via heavy use of pretty pictures, which might have worked, had the pictures actually been pretty.

Note: There are only so many synonyms for "Soviet" and "German" (The other allies I simply referred to as "The Good Guys"). In order to avoid overuse, I had to get inventive. Alas, I forgot to include the key.

Soviet: Ruskies, Ivan, Joe, Cannon-fodder, Bait.

German: Krauts, Jerry, evil, screwed, doomed.

Again, my appologies.

Flenser

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Flenser (interesting name, that; very descriptive!),

Too funny!

Regards,

John Kettler

I chose the name of a character in a book I was reading at the time (+2 bonus points for anyone who can guess it without using Google), not for being particularly fearsome on the battlefield (as my opponents can attest to).

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

No worries Frenchy, I look forward to our stoush. Judging by the briefing I'm guessing the initial placement of units could take a while.

Regards

Jim R.

How many units do you think you actually get to place for a game that has been in progress for 74 turns? :D Think Jim....think lonnngggg.....think harrrddd.....

(It was my first reaction too, though, til reality hit me like a slap in the face.)

Section 1 Update -

I've sent my setups for Tiger Valley and St. Nazaire to my opponents Jon L and Londoner (repsectively). So far I've heard nothing back from either.

I'm still waiting on my opponent Panzertwat to send me the setup for "Loaded for Bear".

...so, I'm in a holding pattern at the moment.

Kingfish and Ace Pilot,

Have completed reading the entire set of AARs for which I'm responsible. Shall now turn to the unenviable task of making my rank ordered choices from over a dozen great AARs. Am semiconsidering (barring some great AAR evaluation revelation) resorting to probabilistic decision making aids (percentile dice) once I've further culled the herd. Thoughts?

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

How many units do you think you actually get to place for a game that has been in progress for 74 turns? :D Think Jim....think lonnngggg.....think harrrddd.....

(It was my first reaction too, though, til reality hit me like a slap in the face.)

I would imagine most if not all of them. I would have expected some wiggle room on the majority of units unless everything is truly locked down. I guess I'll find out in due course.

smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Frenchy:

Looks like I have joined 1 of the 3 battles already in progress.

Okay, do you, like, live near Jim or something? :D

You people are just not getting it....

No matter. Frenchy, will you be contributing any scenarios to the CMAK special edition? I fondly remember testing one of your creations for CMBO with you.

Originally posted by the_enigma:

do we need to send in aars for these 3 scenarios too?

Only if you want a chance to win a model that Richie has generously offered to build and paint for the winner of the best AAR in the finals round.

And, if that won’t motivate you, I’ll point out that doing an AAR with scenario design feedback is a considerate way of saying thanks to the scenario designers for all of their hard work.