**** ROW V (Part 4) ****

I diagree with the mandatory AARs.

As the tourney entered it's last week my cat got seriously ill and finally died, leaving me in no mood to finish my AARs. Should I, or anyone, really be disqualified from further ROW goodness for something like that? Not all failures to submit are due to laziness, many are hard pressed to send their turns, let alone subit a AAR worthy of the name. Sure the AARs are a good read and a nice thing for the designer but it should chiefly be about the battles. There are a boat load of AARs for me to get through anyway, most people might never get to read them all so penalizing people who don't contribute sounds way to harsh to me.

Me, I like writing a mini-AAR after each and every battle, no doubt resulting in some rolling of eyes by Kingfish who got a sketchy one+comments every time I submitted it's results. I recommened it to everyone. They or a full AAR don't have to be hardcore, full of serious military insight. being funny is allowed to so don't let those who excel at it *cough*BigDuke*cough* scare you off. I still greatly enjoy having written this one. Writting AARs is worth the effort for your own satisafaction, it shouldn't be done becauase it's mandatory. It's fun! It's supposed to be, not a chore.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

"A qualifying AAR"

GaJ

I understand what your stating, but what is "A qualifying AAR"? What makes a qualifing AAR? Does it have to have so many pages, pictures, font size?

I for one didn't write an AAR, because I got my butt whip on every scenario except Wet Triangle. Why would somebody want to read my AAR on how to lose :D

JohnO

The AAR judges judeged what was "qualifying". There were guidelines (which I won't repeat here: I'm sure you can find them if you want).

Basically, I think it boiled down to "something more than nothing at all".

IE one sentence saying "I played this scenario" would not qualify.

But Elmar's point that "it's supposed to be fun, not a chore" is very persuasive.

The only counter I would offer is "if AARs aren't fun for you, is ROW the right tourney for you?".

I would observe that "you will write an AAR" _was_ one of the conditions of entry.

There is a worthwhile debate to be had over whether this is right and/or fun... or even whether it really means "you must write an AAR even if it makes it all no fun for you".

I'm open-minded on what's best there. Maybe if half the people write an AAR then the scenario designers got what they wanted, and the purpose is served. Except for those players who were looking forward to reading their opponent's AARs...

GaJ.

Hey Kingfish,

Moving right along to the finals, okay, the "Losers' Finals", I have sent my setup twice to Cuzn on Loaded for Bear, nearly two weeks gone, and nary a peep.

Maybe you can raise him somehoo, I really want to get that baby cranking. (Even if I unfortunately am the Krauts against the Soves, don't tell my Mom!).

P.S. Hear hear, I second Walpurgis, GaJ has performed a major service to the community, give him a medal or sumfin.

* Golf Clap for GaJ 'n co. *

That really is an excellent achievement, well done fellas.

The AAR's don't have to be 35 pages long with play by play screenies. (Though it's nice for the designer)

You can get your message across by detailing the score, your plan, how the battle unfolded, exciting bits with a screenie, what worked for you, what didn't work for you, what you did or didn't like about the scenario, and a screenie of the AAR is nice too.

You don't have to be Arthur C Clark or Jane Austin.

You're free to say you didn't like the scenario. Please explain what about it didn't work for you though... If you didn't like it and a designer never get's any feedback there is no chance for improvement!

Richie

Ah - well, the hosting service and cajoling to get it all done was me (I'm not sure if Cpl or Ace are still talking to me after the harrasment I gave them smile.gif ).

The website design was Cpl Carrot: hat's off to him too.

Which reminds me: if you need any web sites built, or know of any friends that do, Cpl Carrot is in that business and would like to hear from you about work, I'm sure.

GaJ.

You guys made a good point. I do owe my opponent an AAR from my point of view. So that he can see why his planed work well. I just read Bigduke6 AARs an have gotten a good example on how it could be writen. In fact I told my opponent on Tiger Valley that "I" will write an AAR on that scenario. Haven't got in contact with the other opponents yet to let them know that I will write one on the other two scenarios. And to keep from beating on a dead horse with a stick I will end it here, on too the "Loser Finials" smile.gif

GaJ and Cpl Carrort, thanks for posting the AARs thier easy to locate and to download, good job!

JohnO

Originally posted by JohnO:

Why would somebody want to read my AAR on how to lose

Here's a good point. I too was disappointed to see that only one of my opponents wrote an AAR.

No matter how you played, odds are your opponent would like to read about the battle from the other side.

It is always interesting to read about how your own plan and action was viewed from another perspective. I often try some kind of deception, and sometimes the only way to know if it worked is to read a description of the battle from the other side.

Losing does not = a boring AAR.

Originally posted by Steve McClaire:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Walpurgis Nacht:

How about a round of applause for GAJ! Thanks for taking all the time and energy to get the AARs up.

Less clapping, more CMBB. Still waiting for your first turn back on Loaded for Bear, WN. smile.gif </font>

I haven't submitted AAR's for the 1st round. I fully intended to but TBH I was that eager to get started I rushed all my setups and got them out ASAP. And therefore I got spanked.

So I don't feel there are any lessons to be learnt from how I played because I'd dug myself a very big pit from the get go and no-one would play like that again. Ever.

I'm playing as a NABLA reference in this round and taking a bit more time about it. As there are going to be less people playing (true?) I'll write up my games to the best of my ability if people would like to hear it.

I'd also like to express my appreciation of the organisers - well done chaps.

Cpl Carrot, if you're ever planning to work in the UK, drop me an email. We* are always on the lookout for developers and have offices in Liverpool & London.

*dear god the site doen't work in FF & they've said "Lexus's". someone gonna get :mad: 'ed.

I know that this may not be the best place to post this. But I'm in the "Loser Finials" and would like to try another scenario to test my planning and tactics with the group 7 players if possibly, who I was with in the ROW V Tournament, but will try with another player from a different group. The scenario is "Cintheaux" it is a 60+ turn which I can send to you and I have made the map that you can print out to plan your attack and defend. I have not looked at the opposition force. I will be on the German side if it's ok with the opposing player. Please send an email if interested. josborne6@kc.rr.com

JohnO

For the record, a T34/85 can travel quite a distance on pavement in a minute. It

reaches its “planned” destination with time to spare. It fires a round at a MG pillbox

which had revealed itself (at the top of the bank, slightly right on the bridge) earlier in

the round by opening fire on my platoon on the bank left of the bridge. The round

hits, but does no damage. Shortly thereafter a round from an unknown location slams

into the T34, killing it. Shortly after that, there is a small indentation in my desk, and

a matching one on my forehead.

It is AARs like this that inspires us to bring you the ROW tournaments again and again.