Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

@BFCElvis @Battlefront.com
The CMBS Charge of the Stryker Brigade campaign was updated to correct errors in the campaign, but wasn't listed on the Battlefront.com updates page. The reason I'm bringing it up is that I believe that the Steam version has the old, non-updated campaign file in the installation.

Since the Update page on the site is no longer available, are there plans to roll the new version out to the Steam version?

Looking forward to the future of CM.

Edited by Grey_Fox

8 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Thank you I was just wondering why there have to be more version of the game.

Changing codes or working with differents codes will make big difference in the game  for the modders, will they have problems to manage files i mean a .bmp is a .bmp but the others files ?

There are already separate Battlefront and Slitherine installers with their own licensing schemes.  That's been true for 3 years.  There have been no problems with that, right?  So why would that suddenly start to become a problem in terms of game content compatibility?

Think of it this way.  Nobody forces you to patch the games you have.  You have always had the option to keep using whatever you have and not update.  The only downside is that you won't be able to access the patch features (obviously!) nor will you be able to play multiplayer with someone who has a higher numbered versions.  That's been the case for 27 years :)

The only change is that the separate Battlefront path people currently are on will start to go away if/when we release new patches.  Cross compatibility isn't an issue any more than it has ever been.

Steve

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

Hey JM it'll be fine if they keep it going as has been said. 

>you said "if they keep it going as has been said". 

Also with a new, sexy game version we may have lots more people on the forum.  Hopefully 😉.

>well is to hope, if they dont do like Steam web page, too comlicated for me to manage the many screens and bonus and blablabla about icons,...when I want to have something directly, and not after 10 min of searching, for the time I buy only one game CM, on Steam and all others are from BFC hitself, and when problem with the game just call onkle Elvis and most of the time all is fixed in a square second, if I have a problem in Steam or Sithlerine, do we will have the same support ?
...and and and with Steam I dont feel me confortable to manage it around, If I take the time to manage it this will be more secure for me but for the time,... i m not from the new generation, but this is another story !

If it isn't fine we can set up our own forum (or maybe just chat together, or get together at a tank museum somewhere 😂).

>yes you are bitting from museum since you have a nice time with some of members of the forum, you cannot let it anymore.

>yes Tim I hope one day we can do something similare.🥳🍻

7 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

There are already separate Battlefront and Slitherine installers with their own licensing schemes.  That's been true for 3 years.  There have been no problems with that, right?  So why would that suddenly start to become a problem in terms of game content compatibility?

Think of it this way.  Nobody forces you to patch the games you have.  You have always had the option to keep using whatever you have and not update.  The only downside is that you won't be able to access the patch features (obviously!) nor will you be able to play multiplayer with someone who has a higher numbered versions.  That's been the case for 27 years :)

The only change is that the separate Battlefront path people currently are on will start to go away if/when we release new patches.  Cross compatibility isn't an issue any more than it has ever been.

Steve

>Thank you Steve to take the time for enlightening me on this subject, for me exist only ONE BFC game,  and this since...the beginning I am already sad to dont see soon, I guess the webpage and perhaps forum of BFC in my schortcuts !

Edited by JM Stuff

I have been a long time supporter of Battlefront and their games purchasing and playing all their CM games since 2000 and all on my Macs from OS9 for CM1 to OSX for CM2. I also have their previous Mac games like Tacops and Flight Commander which I loved. Battlefront has been one of the few game companies who have published great Wargames for the Mac and PC and so I hope they will not forsake or forget their Mac fans. 

I know many of my Mac using fellow players, including me, have spent at least $1000 purchasing all the games and modules over the years.  (If money talks 😀). I know I will continue to buy any and all CM games when they come out for the Mac OS. 

1 minute ago, Centurian52 said:

What a day for the internet at work to cut out! Looks like I've got a lot to catch up on over the last few hours.

You know you shouldn't be looking at this at work?  There is a lot to catch up on...

3 hours ago, PEB14 said:

WTF??

Do you imply that all Mac users are graphic designers? I'm not, and neither are any of the Mac users I personnally know! 🤣

Maybe graphic designer is too specific.  Last time I saw a stat from Adobe about Mac app market and over 70% of Mac users were in what they defined as "creative" fields as a profession or a as a hobby.  Creative was defined as photo, video, sound, art, etc.  For Windows it was slightly less than 30%.  So a generalization, but based in some form of reality.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

I won't embelish (much) on what Steve said, other than to add that Slitherine/Steam keys 100% DO NOT work with the Battlefront versions of the game. If you were thinking of doing that, don't even try. Unless you want a Windows version of the game. 

Thanks for the update.  I thought that was the case with the Slitherine/Steam keys but wanted to make sure.  I appreciate your response.  I know Steve stated he wasn't ready to get into any Mac details on future products and I understand that's still being worked in the your offline discussions.

I guess what I'm really asking about is whether we've missed the opportunity to purchase any Mac CM2 titles we didn't already own.  I know they've been out for a while now and it's my own fault for not buying them earlier, but I would like to pick them up at some time.  Thanks again for all your support.  I really enjoy the CM products and have had years of fun with them.

Cheers,
Jeff

Congratulations! As always with Battlefront announcements it's a slightly surreal feeling that I won't quite believe until Unity CM3 or whatever is installing. But it's a very comforting thought that the future of CM is secure for the foreseeable future. 

WeGo = major feature of CM1 and CM2.  I said CM3 is based on the core of what has come before it.  It takes some skill > on your guys' part to turn that into "oh no!  WeGo is dead!".  But you've had 27 years to hone those skills, so I guess it's > good to see them being put to use :)

I still have bad memories of the initial release of Shock Force and the desecration of WEGO in it.

20 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

You know you shouldn't be looking at this at work?

My workplace has no rules against browsing gaming forums. It's actually a pretty laid back office overall. Obviously I'd much rather be retired. But if I really must have a job in order to get by, I'll take the one I've got any day (unless I get an offer to play CM Pro full time 😉). Besides, I usually have my actual work up on my other monitor.

I had a dream! Literally, I've spent years daydreaming of CM but with up-to-date graphics, and varied animations to show damage to vehicles and buildings, and troops being hit (don't mind reasonable realistic gore). I had few problems with the functioning of the CM2 engine itself (on the occasions when my WW2 Marder sitting concealed in bushes was spotted first and destroyed by a battened-down T-34 emerging from a forest, I put it down the the Marder crew eating their lunch and not paying attention).

I have 2 other aspects of my dream that I'd like to become reality in CM3 - being able to direct a group of solders to start a lengthy march around the side of the enemy's defenses without having to micro-manage them every step of the way, and be able to assume they'll send 2 scouts ahead, and stop if they come under fire, even when in 'walk' mode. Also, I dream of being able to replay a whole battle, and pick a unit or vehicle that had a particularly interesting experience, and re-watch events from their POV.

Regardless of whether every bit of my dream list gets covered, I'm excited. Congratulations from a veteran lurker and constant player who's played nothing but CM since 1999, and will be sticking around God willing!

6 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Keep in mind that Unity is truly cross platformable and CM3 already runs quite nicely on my Mac Book Pros.  Just say'n.

Is it me or was that the first confirmation that CM3 actually exists?

This all sounds like good news.  Why Slitherine as opposed to Matrix?  I suppose there were personal relationships formed between the teams, is there something else that meant either that team or the UK in general was a better fit?  Cigar storage being cheaper due to the RH%?  MI6 honeypot?

Can UK subjects, in light of the aforementioned and whatever UK military tie-ins Slitherine has on the go, now plausibly claim that their taxes go to pay your salaries?

From what I could google the market share for desktop operating systems in 2024 is:

Windows - 72%

Mac - 15%

Linux - 4.4%

Chrome OS - 1.4%

Unknown - 7.1%

(if this doesn't quite add up to 100% it's because of rounding errors)

I don't know if the global proportion of Mac users is the same as the proportion of CM players who are Mac users. But I'd guess that while they are certainly a minority, they are still likely a fairly significant minority (unlike us Linux users 😪). I doubt Slitherine will leave such a significant portion of their customers unsupported, so I'm sure you'll all be fine.

1 hour ago, dontpanic! said:

I have been a long time supporter of Battlefront and their games purchasing and playing all their CM games since 2000 and all on my Macs from OS9 for CM1 to OSX for CM2. I also have their previous Mac games like Tacops and Flight Commander which I loved. Battlefront has been one of the few game companies who have published great Wargames for the Mac and PC and so I hope they will not forsake or forget their Mac fans. 

I know many of my Mac using fellow players, including me, have spent at least $1000 purchasing all the games and modules over the years.  (If money talks 😀). I know I will continue to buy any and all CM games when they come out for the Mac OS. 

Like you, I have gotten CM games for the MAC for a long time - purchasing close to $700 since CM2 came out, and also have all the CM1 titles as well (don't remember how much all those cost). This is one of the very few good historical games you can get on a MAC - but, if available, will continue to buy every game. 

Steam market share of game distribution is around 75% globally.  Even if non-Steam distribution is estimated at far greater than Steam distribution, its most likely 5% or less overall.  It could be that the cause is lack of games for Mac.  But it really doesn't matter.  That paltry share should give anyone pause before dropping any resources on Mac development.

I wonder how much the dual boot capabilities have impacted Mac game investment.

Edited by Thewood1

6 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

Steam market share of game distribution is around 75% globally.  Even if non-Steam distribution is estimated at far greater than Steam distribution, its most likely 5% or less overall.  It could be that the cause is lack of games for Mac.  But it really doesn't matter.  That paltry share should give anyone pause before dropping any resources on Mac development.

Then why do all game engines (Unity, Unreal, the open source ones) have Mac versions?

A future CMx3 for Mac would be based on Unity's Mac port and as Steve pointed out that is already working out for whatever build they have right now.