FIX THE BOGGING ALREADY!

Four vehicles immobilized within 700m of the corner starting zone. One mtlb, one bmp-3, two t-90a. Everything except the bmp-3 was set to "normal" speed. Bmp-3 was set to "Quick".

This is completely insane, why haven't you guys fixed this yet. This isnt fun, nor is it realistic, it's a joke.

really.png

Edited by Artkin

Combat Mission does a really bad job of telling you anything about the terrain, so often you don't know what you are driving on, but I've definitely seen things like Churchills and T-90s get bogged and immobilized in places they shouldn't. Try light snow for the Churchill and watch them all get stuck.

Bogging in CMx2 has always been on the light side. I worked on a scenario for the last CMFB module and set the ground conditions as “muddy” to force players to stay on the roads, but even when the AI moved AFVs cross country, there was very little bogging.

To minimize chances of bogging, 1) check the off-road rating; 2) check the ground conditions and 3) watch your speed. The faster you go off-road, the greater the chances of bogging.

The Ukraine war has rather vindicated the bogging model, actually. At certain times of the year you just don't want go on a drive through the countryside. In the game go to the menu and look at 'Conditions'. If terrain is labeled as 'muddy' you're in for a hard time. If its labeled 'wet' you're in for a slightly less hard time. I've learned to aim for safer patches of ground - hopping from hard ground tiles to rocky ground tiles. I made a flooded 'muddy' ground map for CMFB module. But the flooded road has gravel tiles beneath it so bogging is rare if you stick to the road.

Bogging a good test scenario is a 'Muddy Affair'. Once you played a scenario go back and use it for testing. Bogging in that scenario, last time one Sherman exactly got immobilized. After 10 more times the result was the same. I figured out an 'unbogging' drill. Go back and play and experiment various scenarios. Same with 'Battle for Normandy. I went back to the tutorial with the three trucks scenario. I found out about spotting just by playing it on 'Iron'. Don't rush to die in the more difficult scenarios. I get sick having arguments about my methods test and find it out yourself about which drill you need to use. 

You (almost) never see blizzards in CM scenarios, or dense fog, or moonless overcast nights, or moonless nights with dense fog on muddy ground because some condition just aren't all that fun to try to play in. Not to say having your men stumbling through a monsoon or a blizzard can't be entertaining as a demonstration scenario. But you wouldn't want to make a regular habit of it.

12 hours ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

LOL stop driving your stuff in mucky places. I am unaware of any bugs related to bogging so I do not think there is anything to fix man.

Dude you think this is my first game? The ground conditions are set to very dry. 

Posted (edited)

If bogging was THIS bad the PROKHOROVKA OFFENSIVE would have completely petered out within 11km judging by how many tanks I lost. 

They didnt use roads and they didnt lose 9% of their tanks every 700m to the ground conditions. 

Come on guys. Really...? 

Edit: Forgot that this was in a different game as I'm playing two pbems on the map currently in cmrt. This is from cmpe so I can't provide a turn.

Instead I can provide the map and a small scenario for cmrt. The statistics remain true though, 2 mbts lost for 23 moved.

Edited by Artkin

Posted (edited)

Theres absolute nothing special about the scenario, play as germans. The same rate of loss will occur within 2km from the start line. The bogging rates in this game are not based on reality. If you doubt it, look at the operational map, toe and loss rates of the prokhorovka fighting. Of the dozens of publications I've read/listened to - bogging has never been mentioned (Except one time during the dniepr offensive? when a soviet tank corps lost 90% of its vehicles to breakdowns over a couple hundred km march). While I do believe it should be in game, the rate is ridiculous at times.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/23frsllsqwzevkgz138ah/001-IISS-AI.btt?rlkey=jcucmm1zj2b9vq1w36fazpnqe&dl=0

Edited by Artkin

It is not uncommon for a map maker to accidentally place terrain that bogs vehicles accidentally.  In CM1 it was much easier to tell terrain types apart.  In CM2 it can all look very similar.  Had a similar situation in one of Paper Tiger's maps  (very dry desert) and he was able to replace the boggy terrain that had been accidentally placed.

I had a coworker long ago who was an old WWII Pacific jungle fighter. After spending years island fighting he pulled a Yossarian and decided he wanted to survive the war. He hit on a strategy. When his unit was up to go on patrol he'd hop in the units sole Stuart light tank to do 'regular servicing', drove it to a nearby patch of sand, pulled a sharp right turn and Oops! The tank shed a track! Sorry guys, I've got to stay behind and fix this. Worked every time.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:23 AM, Artkin said:

Everything except the bmp-3 was set to "normal" speed. Bmp-3 was set to "Quick".

There is no evidence that plotted speeds influences bogging. My default setting is fast or hunt if it has riders. In a muddy affair FB, I immobilize one Sherman on average. Your case seem to point towards the map design. 

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I had a coworker long ago who was an old WWII Pacific jungle fighter. After spending years island fighting he pulled a Yossarian and decided he wanted to survive the war. He hit on a strategy. When his unit was up to go on patrol he'd hop in the units sole Stuart light tank to do 'regular servicing', drove it to a nearby patch of sand, pulled a sharp right turn and Oops! The tank shed a track! Sorry guys, I've got to stay behind and fix this. Worked every time.

That's not what happened from my screenshot. There's no weaseling around this. We run d8 and d5 dozers at my job all day every day, and they have never shed anything. Driving forward should not cause as much bogging/immobilizations as it currently does.

23 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

There is no evidence that plotted speeds influences bogging.

Yes it does. It's not about map design. Sand is not the same as hard dirt.

56 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Yes it does. It's not about map design. Sand is not the same as hard dirt.

If it is it should apply at every scenario. I my 20 years of experience as a player I have found no evidence. My default mode of travel is fast for me unless there is a reason not to. The engine slows vehicles down automatically anyway. In Black Sea I found that Ukrainian vehicles seem to bog down a lot. In Battle for Normandy allied tanks are doing OK. 

Edited by chuckdyke

On 3/21/2024 at 12:23 AM, Artkin said:

This is completely insane, why haven't you guys fixed this yet. This isnt fun, nor is it realistic, it's a joke.

The mud tiles are always too sensitive. A vehicle can hardly move on a mud tile without getting stuck and jt doesn't matter whether it's on a field or just beside a road.