The year to come - 2024 (Part 1)

I have a hunch it will be more than a few days until we get update part two (unless I missed something Steve said).

Some general recollections of old posts by Steve.

Western Front WWII sells best followed by Eastern Front.

No new North Africa Family planned. It sells fourth best after even Italy.

They will never cover Arab-Israeli wars.

They will never do a Pacific WWII family. The engine works best with combined arms battles. Thus both sides need significant combined arms forces so both sides can have campaigns.. (CMA was the exception to this but it was developed by a third party). Also there are terrain challenges with jungle.

They will not do a Vietnam family. See above.

What does that leave us?  My first guess is another Red Thunder module that may include Finns.

Of course Steve once said they will never do Cold War gone hot. Then a group of volunteers stepped forward and changed that. Perhaps that is happening again. I also recall Fortress Italy was moved way forward due to an investment by a private individual(s) but I don't think they will ever reveal the details on that.

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

Western Front WWII sells best followed by Eastern Front.

That is amazing.  I don't know if people are old enuff to remember wargaming up to the later 1990's - one had practically PAY people to play the WAllies.  EVERYONE wanted to play the Germans on the East front, with DAK (North Africa) being second.

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

I have a hunch it will be more than a few days until we get update part two (unless I missed something Steve said).

He said we'll see the second half of the update sometime this month. It's still possible he'll drop the new thread by COB Wednesday. But I'm already assuming he's going to slip his original statement by a little bit and we'll see the new thread sometime in early February. Still, I was feeling optimistic that even if it isn't out before the end of January it will still only be a few more days. I'm not sure I have any reason for that optimism beyond blind faith though.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:51 AM, Genushe said:

1. Will Red Thunder's unique aircraft mechanics be expanded to other WW2 titles?

This was actually rolled out to IIRC CMBN several years ago, but the people on the forum cried like bitches until it was reverted because they like to pretend they could call in precision air strikes in 1944.

Edited by Grey_Fox

At the risk of being called pedantic, what's coming out for CMN is a Battlepack (i.e. scenario pack) which is different than a module.

Edited by Sequoia

1 hour ago, Commanderski said:

I think they have another Normandy module due soon too. Hopefully that will come out this year.

A Battle Pack. Obviously there's nothing for it if they're running behind. But if they get done ahead of June 6th then I'm thinking that it would make all the sense in the world for them to hold onto it and release it on June 6th. Releasing a Battle Pack with a focus on the D-Day beach landings on the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings would just be too perfect to miss.

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

No new North Africa Family planned. It sells fourth best after even Italy.

As I've said several times recently, I can almost guarantee that the next western front title will be in North Africa. In fact it is almost certain to be Tunisia 1943.

They haven't gone backwards since Sicily because they prioritized finishing up the late war first. The late war is finished. There is no direction to go now but back. The next step back in time from Sicily 1943 is Tunisia 1943. It's going to be Tunisia 1943 next.

3 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

As I've said several times recently, I can almost guarantee that the next western front title will be in North Africa. In fact it is almost certain to be Tunisia 1943.

They haven't gone backwards since Sicily because they prioritized finishing up the late war first. The late war is finished. There is no direction to go now but back. The next step back in time from Sicily 1943 is Tunisia 1943. It's going to be Tunisia 1943 next.

I would be all over that like ugly on Danny Trejo. 

H

10 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

I doubt that, but it would be nice. To be honest, I'm not really looking forward to any of the new modules/packs as announced by Steve. Just not really my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy for those who do like them. And I will buy them.

For me personally it's time for some new and refreshing titles. I'm hoping for a Eastern Front module for 1943/44, but especially something unexpected and 'forum shaking', like North Africa, Finnish Winter War or Stalingrad.   

13 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

This was actually rolled out to IIRC CMBN several years ago, but the people on the forum cried like bitches until it was reverted because they like to pretend they could call in precision air strikes in 1944.

That's not true at all.

What actually happened was that there was initially some quite polite discussion about how it should work, both from a historical and gameplay perspective.

But then very quickly, MikeyD stepped in and said uncontrolled air support in Normandy was actually an unintentional change in CMBN. It was then quickly reverted to how it used to be with a patch.

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I doubt that, but it would be nice. To be honest, I'm not really looking forward to any of the new modules/packs as announced by Steve. Just not really my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy for those who do like them. And I will buy them.

For me personally it's time for some new and refreshing titles. I'm hoping for a Eastern Front module for 1943/44, but especially something unexpected and 'forum shaking', like North Africa, Finnish Winter War or Stalingrad.   

They are going to keep making WW2 games. And early 44/late 43 is the obvious place to go next for the eastern front, and North Africa is the obvious place to go next for the western front. They're coming. We just need to be patient.

Give it a year to wrap up the current set of projects and greenlight the next set, plus 2-3 years to develop the next module/game for both the western front and eastern front, with the announcement probably coming after the first year of development. I figure we'll have a new 43/44 eastern front module, and a new North Africa game in the next 3-4 years, with the announcements for each probably coming within two years. 

My twopeneth, I reckon, first more details on the BAOR module for 'cold war' hopefully with screens of some of the new units. Second, more details of the various battlepacks in development. Finally CM3 bombshell announcement probably hypothetical modern war, nowhere near ukraine (puts crystal ball back in cupboard).

19 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

I can almost guarantee that the next western front title will be in North Africa.

In fact it is almost certain to be Tunisia 1943.

It's going to be Tunisia 1943 next.

I'll believe it when Steve says it 😉, but you might be right.  My wallet is ready anyway.  But if I'm honest (and of course I am) I would prefer:

12 minutes ago, Artkin said:

it will be Kursk

3 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I'll believe it when Steve says it 😉, but you might be right.  My wallet is ready anyway.  But if I'm honest (and of course I am) I would prefer:

Ok. My prediction is only that the next western front WW2 title will be Tunisia 1943. I do not necessarily predict that the next title will be WW2, or that the next WW2 title will be on the western front. I would also be very excited for Kursk.

Edited by Centurian52

Hi, everyone! I'm confident that we'll be getting the 2nd part update any moment now. Both Kursk and Tunisia '43 seem like amazing options. However, I'm leaning towards something bold, like Stalingrad '42.

49 minutes ago, Raskol said:

However, I'm leaning towards something bold, like Stalingrad '42.

I have no doubt we'll get it eventually. But don't forget that we're expecting incremental steps back in time. So we probably won't be getting Stalingrad '42 before we get Kursk '43

My thinking is BFC will focus their efforts on completing Game Engine 5 rather than going full bore on any new expansions.  CM2 is a 17 year old game engine and could use a major overhaul to take advantage of advances in personal computing over the past two decades.  No idea what they are up to regarding Game Engine 5 but I'd like to think putting in multi-core usability and maybe changing graphics from Open-GL (I think that is what is used) to something modern (and usable on AMD cards) could be high on their to-do list.

Things still on the go, being battle-packs and CMCW-BAOR are being put together by community "volunteers" which would free time for BFC staff to work on Engine 5.  And what of CMX3?  I know there have been rumblings in past on forums regarding a CMX3, and if that is something actually going to happen, why invest their limited time on adding games for additional time frames using the 17-year old CMX2 game engine?  Though their working on Game Engine 5 suggest to me that CMX3 is still something far down the road.

If and when BFC decides to expand on the CMX2 series, then I should think they would be walking back on the WW2 series incrementally to make the introduction of new vehicles a little bit less daunting, and more importantly take less time and thus let them release the product sooner and generate cash flow to help support the business and then create more content. 

So Eastern Front I would think 1943/Kursk would be the most likely candidate as I would imagine some of the existing vehicles and formations from CMRT were also available in 1943 so not as much effort as doing Stalingrad/1942 first, for which maybe a lot of the vehicles/formations present in 1942 would be older models not found in CMRT and therefore require more work and time for BFC to pull together whilst not generating cash flow to support the business.  Having said that after a 1943 module is released, work on a 1942 module could be easier as some of the newly added vehicles and formations put together in creating the 1943 module might be around in 1942. 

Then do 1941, and after that 1939-40.  If they are even contemplating such a long lifespan for the CMX2 engine.

I was thinking about a "Force Pack" for CM: Normandy that brings over the Free French, US Army Rangers, and perhaps a small number of vehicles that fought in the theater but aren't in the game yet but are in CM:FI. That strikes me as easy to implement. On the other hand, our programmer at work hates it when someone says it ought to be easy to implement.

They could in theory still sell 3 Eastfront Modules. 1943 Kursk, 1942 Fall Blau/Stalingrad and 1941 Barbarossa/Typhoon.

And yes. Tunisia 1943, El Alamein 1942, Tobruk 1941 would also be possible.

Lets see what happens.

20 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

They could in theory still sell 3 Eastfront Modules. 1943 Kursk, 1942 Fall Blau/Stalingrad and 1941 Barbarossa/Typhoon.

It required something like 7-8 releases to cover 1 year on the western front...I hardly belive that one release/ year will be sufficient to handle the eastern front.

3 minutes ago, CarlXII said:

It required something like 7-8 releases to cover 1 year on the western front...I hardly belive that one release/ year will be sufficient to handle the eastern front.

Well the market is shrinking for them with this 10 year old engine. Their call.