Annual look at the year to come - 2023

8 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Right now a 1st class manual of how to play this game properly. From Battle for Normandy to Black Sea. Manuals with doctrines for the time frame. With references which YouTube videos are recommended. Example Red Thunder change name of a scenario with the purpose getting more TRP to plan on Map Barrage near the end of the game for example. 

For how to play the game, I believe @Hapless has a playlist on youtube that should have you covered:

For WW2 doctrine you should be able to find anything you need at the Nafziger collection:

https://nafzigercollection.com/product-category/tactical-studies-for-all-ages/

For Cold War and modern US tactics I think FM71-1 and FM71-2 are a good place to start:

https://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/amd-us-archive/FM71-1(98).pdf

https://www.bits.de/NRANEU/others/amd-us-archive/FM71-2(77).pdf

For Cold War Soviet tactics I'd recommend FM100-2-1 (and this has served me well for any faction operating Cold War Soviet equipment, including modern Ukraine and Russia):

https://irp.fas.org/doddir/army/fm100-2-1.pdf

Edited by Centurian52

23 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Giving interim updates doesn't help, it just highlights that we really don't know when things will come about.  I'd rather be wrong 1 time than 10.  I'd also rather people complain they aren't getting updates than complaining that our updates are always wrong.

Coming from a DCS background, this I must say is something I appreciate how you guys run your business and PR.

DCS is at the ridiculous stage of dropping hints and teasers not about upcoming products, patches or even sales... but about upcoming ads and teasers (not a typo: literally teasers about upcoming teasers, just to fill the void). One third party dev was going to keep a plane all under wraps right up until release, and then the DCS PR peeps spoiled it, just blurted it out for them several years in advance so they could add another few seconds of material to a "coming this year" film.

When you guys post an update, it's almost like being a child at Christmas again: there's no empty blabber, it's absolutely going to be exciting news!

5 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I think you should quit. Fold it up and move on. Get the residuals or whatever. Go get the bucks you deserve elsewhere.

This is right on the money. BF is in a very mature phase of its creative arc. Their greatest effort was made thirty years ago with the CMx1 engine, and then again fifteen years ago with the CMx2 engine. Is the CMx3 engine still in the works? I'm not holding my breath...

Rather than "look ahead" threads, WW2 CM fans (including me) should start reminiscing in "a-fond-look-back" threads.  The last WW2 title came out in 2016. There are no indications that any new title will be coming out in the next few years (i.e. next decade). We might get a couple of modules and some battle packs but nothing more.

After that it's retirement age for all of us ;) thank God, but we will still have four great WW2 titles whose replayability is infinite.

31 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Calm down, guys. BF is the best and already gave us so much. I believe they will continue to do so and we should be grateful and supportive. 

+1 to that Jacob, you outrageous fanboi 😉.

He brought up quitting. I agreed and ultimately it is his call. I honestly see more passion at my local Subway. 

BFC SUBWAY

I would like the Italian herb footlong with turkey and monterey jack. Toasted please.

It will be a while.

Can I maybe add some radicchio?

Listen buddy, we've been making sandwiches a long time. No radicchio!

Can I have a cookie while I wait?

I can do that - but I will charge you for the cookie, your sandwich and WHAT I COULD HAVE SOLD while I just helped you.

Any updates on my sub?

<2 hours later, Charles is back and only he knows how to bake the bread...>

<1 hour later>

Here is your sandwich...

I see a bug in it.

We do fix the bugs!

No, an actual bug, walking in the bread.

We can quit and make more elsewhere!

I love you guys. Thanks for the games and especially the "modability". I wish you the best! Go out on top while you can. Come back in 5 years for a revival maybe.

7 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I had always thought you guys had other jobs and BFC was just a side hustle due to my perception of a slow production rate.

See, that right there.  You assume we're slow because we're not working on this full time instead of assuming we're slow because it takes stupidly huge amounts of time to make games with this degree of complexity.

There's 6 of us working on Combat Mission full time.  That's been pretty constant for 20 years.

You did answer me and said "No, he is full-time for BFC about 60 hours per week". I gotta find those posts.

And yet... you still think he's working part time?  So you think I'm lying?  Well, that's interesting.

Can you make money off of advertising in the BFC forums?

Maybe enough to buy us lunch a couple times a year.

I think you should quit. Fold it up and move on. Get the residuals or whatever. Go get the bucks you deserve elsewhere.

No plans to do that.  Fortunately, despite all the hardships (including some holding us to unrealistic expectations) we still love what we do.  One can't put a price on that.  Well, not easily at least.

Steve

1 minute ago, Battlefront.com said:

So you think I'm lying?

NOT AT ALL! I did not say that at all.

1 minute ago, Battlefront.com said:

You assume we're slow because we're not working on this full time instead of assuming we're slow because it takes stupidly huge amounts of time to make games with this degree of complexity.

I said it was my perception (in italics).

2 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

No plans to do that. 

OK, you brought it up. Don't quit.

3 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

we still love what we do. 

If you say so. 

Just now, kohlenklau said:

NOT AT ALL! I did not say that at all.

I said it was my perception (in italics).

What is the point of your perception when it's so wrong?  It's like you feel that your perception that the world is flat should matter.

We work damned hard to make the things we make.  The speed of which they come out is the speed at which they CAN come out.  If that's not acceptable to you, fine.  But it doesn't change anything.

Just now, kohlenklau said:

If you say so. 

The evidence is we keep making games when we do have the option to not.  Monetarily we could do better doing something else, so either passion or stupidity keeps us doing what we do.  I personally think it's passion, but having conversations like this makes me wonder if it is stupidity.

Steve

13 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Well, see there is the age old problem I see on this Forum.  Your statement is not accurate.  We fix LOTS of bugs and we do that on a regular basis.  We just released a patch in the past week, made while most people were still on Christmas vacation.  Was it this fix for this game?  Obviously not.  But not fixing something you want fixed and not fixing things at all are two entirely different things.

3 months to fix a corrupted file in an installer. I wouldn't brag about it.

Meanwhile, it looks like Battlefront's plan is to hope that AMD goes back on part of their driver rewrite? It doesn't seem very likely. 16 months and counting there.

While I can understand peoples frustration and I do think communication could be better. I do not think mud slinging by either side does any good at all.

Everyone needs to take a step backwards, after all this is just a game we are talking about. If you feel angry, frustrated, bitter, or whatever, then maybe its time to take a break, play a different game, spend more time with family and friends, or something similar.

Whatever you choose to do, there is absolutely no point in coming on here and complaining. There is no proof that it makes a blind bit of difference to release schedules or projects.

I've been playing CM games since CM1, I have all CM2 titles and packs, I will continue to buy whatever is offered, whenever it is offered.

I still have not had time to play every campaign, scenario or battle, so there is still plenty to do. Plus there are also people continuing to make great campaigns such as George MC, Dragonwyn, Paper Tiger, and Frank is soon to deliver a paid for campaign for RT.

If I get fed up with some of titles due to bugs, AI or boredom, then I go and play something else, or go to the gym, have a walk.

Life is to short and precious to get hang up on a computer game, surely

It's not just a game for Battlefront, it's their work, it's normal that they defend it vigorously because they love what they do and so do I.

I wish the Battlefront team a 🌲Happy New Year🌲 and lots of success for their future projects.

Edited by laurent 22

21 minutes ago, laurent 22 said:

I wish the Battlefront team a 🌲Happy New Year🌲 and lots of success for their future projects.

I agree.  After all, what else would I be playing these days?  I bought Sniper Elite 5 for a change of genre in December.  Less than 2 hours played so far.  CM WW2 titles in the same time period, I'm guessing 50+ hours.  And I'm about to add more...

2 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Sorry to piss in your cornflakes.

That's really uncalled for.

My impression is that you, and a lot of people, are angry because you think Battlefront is slow to release products. But are they slow? Do you have a baseline? How long should it take? Is that even a good reason to be angry? I encourage you to go back to page 30 and read Lethaface's comment about the holy trinity of quality, budget and time (seriously, comment of the year, everyone needs to read it). The TLDR is that the commitment to quality means that they need to be flexible with time. If their commitment was to time, then either budget or quality would need to be flexible. I know I play Combat Mission because it is an extremely high quality game series. You may be angry that it takes them a long time to develop a product (again though, does it? compared to what?). But I know I would be absolutely furious if they started compromising on quality in order to crank products out faster.

I can't see behind the scenes, so I don't actually know exactly when their team starts development for a specific product. It looks to me like ~2-3 years may be about the normal development time for a Combat Mission base game or module. So, is that a long time? We'd need some sort of baseline in order to answer that question. Certainly Combat Mission is more detailed than most games. But a good starting point might be to ask how long it normally takes to develop a video game. And isn't game development normally measured in years? If a game came out after only 6 months of development wouldn't that be considered a blisteringly fast pace?

Edit: And I know that Yahtzee Croshaw developed 12 games in 12 months. But first, those were extremely small games, and second, the man was on the verge of a nervous breakdown by the time he finished.

Edited by Centurian52

1 hour ago, slippy said:

Frank is soon to deliver a paid for campaign for RT.

May be, my English is too poor and I misunderstand you @slippy, but the CMRT-BattlePack will cost nothing other than registration to have it sent on the release date (there is no download option planned on any webpage) . 

It is a fan project without any financial interests !!! 😎 

Regards

Mr.X

Edited by Mr.X

Basic development of CMSF started right after the release of CMAK in early 2K...So, when CMSF was released in 2007' development of CMBN would have started shortly after that with its release in 2011'.

Edited by JoMac

On 1/30/2023 at 3:22 AM, DesertFox said:

Thanks for the update. Most interesting for me. I can live without all the rest. Especially CMFB would make ETO complete (Overloon 10/44, Paderborn 04/45, Comets and Pershings?) and CMCW might give us Leopard 1 and 2 and BAOR Chieftain and Challenger 1s (?) to play. Great news overall. Please focus on CMFB and CMCW.

To quote myself from a year ago. That is the only stuff I'm interested in and my only question is: WHEN?

One last post before I voluntarily depart the CM forums.

OUT IN A BALL OF FIRE

1. "Piss in the cornflakes" is an expression I know to mean some type of accidental angering of someone. I respect Steve and if he wants me banned or whatever because of the above posts, ok, I accept it. I have tried to be a contributing member of this community. I admit I have an odd sense of humor and maybe I am risque. Steve didn't like my years ago Kate Upton scantily clad post. OK. I got the schwimmwagen and I thank whoever made that happen. 

2. "SAME GAME WITH A DIFFERENT NAME" I have made a post long ago and didn't get banned for saying it. I have no idea where it is. BASICALLY, THE GAMES ARE ALL THE SAME. I will only comment on the WW2 titles. A building is an Italian restaurant with some decor, menu, music and wait persons. Snap your fingers and it is Chinese restaurant. Snap again...it is Somali restaurant. Buy your game. Click on the icon and the game fires up to show you the splashscreen, hear the intro music, pick the forces, pick a scenario, hear the languages, see the uniforms, see the vehicles, the ranks, branches, portraits, fight the battle, see the results. Deep down it is all the same. I think Italians cannot break into teams. How different are the other sides? Team A, B and C. One game has the spreadsheet info and 3D model for a certain vehicle. Different weapon physics. Is it available in another game? Maybe. Maybe not. Copy and paste. 

3. "FAKE LOBSTER" I have done my 2 cents to change the game to amuse myself. Some are rough apples to apples. Some are not too shabby. I have only so much ability to stick my hand into the game. Me by myself or with a few other kind friends in a few weekends or months have done stuff that these pros couldn't seem to get to. Steve said without specifically mentioning me that he was glad that modders took the game where he wouldn't. Something like that. I feel that the CMX2 engine could have been milked better to BFC's profit venturing into other A versus B clones of the main game. Now it is getting aged and old I guess. This was when they went off to various nations to sell CM as a military training project I THINK. No longer any of my worry.

4. "CODING" I already said I only took Basic in college in 1982. Got a B? I salute Charles and have no clue what his super-brain does. I cannot ever criticize him but only wondered as an outsider if he was making the big bucks elsewhere. What have we had as dramatic changes since CMBN? I now understand that it takes him years to make these changes. Engine upgrades. OK.   

5. "STEVE SAID HE DOESN'T PLAY THE GAME ANYMORE" I think that was where I realized it was not a love of the game for him. He is a business man. Do what you gotta do. In his early 60's. Today mention quitting? Go ahead and quit. Attack me because I said go ahead and quit if that is best. Oh my gosh.

6. "GREAT GUYS I HAVE MET"   I am blessed to have worked or rubbed elbows with so many awesome folks. Inside BFC I have had so much gracious help from Ben Parks. Elvis is an awesome guy. I have tried to be a good helpful forumite and vector folks toward the helpdesk tickets. Hovering in the forums to answer questions if I could. Other awesome forumites are too numerous to mention. I have been a tiny battery among the dynamos. Thanks for the help, support and all that.

Best wishes to everybody! 

2 hours ago, Mr.X said:

May be, my English is too poor and I misunderstand you @slippy, but the CMRT-BattlePack will cost nothing other than registration to have it sent on the release date (there is no download option planned on any webpage) . 

It is a fan project without any financial interests !!! 😎 

Regards

Mr.X

Yes, sorry Frank. My mistake it was badly worded. Accept my apologies 🙂 🙏