Combat photography: Photos from the front..

17 hours ago, George MC said:

Live action combat film from the front lines.

Well that I call very unlucky. But it shows that even the 76mm T34 can do something in the right place.

I remember a game back in CMBB where one of my early T34 got a lucky shot into the side of a Tiger while in full reverse.

My oponent was a bit upset after that to say the least. :D

8 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:@George MC's video even reinforces it a bit.  I mean it was the Soviet tanks that had intel and a contact and the Tiger didn't have a clue they were where they were.  I meant to ask you George, did you have firing arcs on the T-34s or was it the AI itself slinging those turrets backwards?

No target arcs on the T-34s. They reacted on their own volition.
As my opponent sent the Tiger that route I can only assume he was unaware they were there, and hence so was the Tiger. 

5 hours ago, Brille said:

Awesome!  It looked like that Panther was in a perfect hull down ambush spot!  Very cool video.

In one of my battles with @FlammenwerferX he had a JS-2 in a hull down spot just like that but further back on a ridge and I stupidly moved a Tiger and a Panther directly across his line of fire with my sides utterly exposed, one after the other, and both ended up burning wrecks at the end of the turn. 

@Vacillator @Phantom Captain

Thank you both for the kind words. :D

It was a battle some while ago. But it was in this one that I learnt to really respect the T34/85.

Though I won this battle in the end I had some difficulties there. The 75mm canon of the Panzer IV often deflected of the armor or had shown no effect on the T´s. And even shots of the Panther bounced of more regularily than I have anticipated. Truth be told those were mostly hits with odd angles on the turretsides but it gave me the creeps none the less.  :D

On 11/18/2023 at 10:37 AM, Brille said:

Nice movie…

Even though I don't understand the second T-34 movement at 0:20. After backing off to relative safety he moves forward again offering his flank to a known enemy, with no apparent overwatch?!

It could have been me doing such a silly thing, but this time I swear it was not…😄

5 hours ago, Brille said:

It was a battle some while ago. But it was in this one that I learnt to really respect the T34/85.

Oooooh yes.

I'm presently playing "Angriff" H2H (very nice scenario by the way). WIth my fleet of Panthers and Panzer IVs I was full of confidence. Since this happy time, a pair of those damn T-34/85 wrought havoc among my poor panzers. Part of my Panzer IV were ambushed and lost three of them to a hidden T-34/85, who then won a 1:1 frontal duel versus one of my Panthers, and a few days ago the SAME T-34/85 won a 1:3 duel against most of my remaining Panzer IV, knocking two out within a minute a forcing the last one to retreat into a SU-152 line of sight… I think I hit this tank at least three times but all the 75 bounced off helplessly…

Annoying to say the least… 🤬

3 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Nice movie…

Even though I don't understand the second T-34 movement at 0:20. After backing off to relative safety he moves forward again offering his flank to a known enemy, with no apparent overwatch?!

It could have been me doing such a silly thing, but this time I swear it was not…😄

Not a silly thing at all. At this moment I doubt that my oponent knew I had a Panther in there. His second T34 simply tried to avoid the foes to it´s front, which were some Panzer IV and one ATG with narrow LOF. I guess that shot that was deflected at the beginning came from said PAK40 (some 800m away). So while repositioning he just happens to run into the Panther there. ^^

2 hours ago, PEB14 said:

I'm presently playing "Angriff" H2H (very nice scenario by the way).

I played this scenario too via PBEM but as far as I recall those were JS1 tanks, not T34. Roughly the same gun but better front armor.

But I agree, those were a pain in the ***. My oponent placed one of them behind some trees and most of my shots were absorbed by them. The shots that came through bounced of...

If I remember correctly I lost 2 Panzer IV and 1 or 2 Panther to him. Only a flanking maneuvre of 2 Panthers silenced him finally. (I guess I have a video of that somewhere too)

The reinforcements of some heavy soviet SPG came very surprising too. Most of the shots were deflected but I guess the volume of fire they took did enough damage to came out on top.

This was the scenario where the accompanying Stuka had the bright idea to drop his 1000lb bomb on a lone truck. So much for the air support. :D

14 minutes ago, Brille said:

I played this scenario too via PBEM but as far as I recall those were JS1 tanks, not T34. Roughly the same gun but better front armor.

You may have played a different version of this scenario, because I'm 100% sure that the tanks I'm facing are T-34/85! I was more than surprised to see their incredible performance against my Panzer-wonders. Particularly because in the previous PBEM, I played T-34/76 against Panzer IV  — and the T-34 were no match at all! (this was in "Hill 621 Redux", which is as bad a scenario as "Angriff" is a good one — even though I might be the losing side in both cases in the end…).

32 minutes ago, Brille said:

@PEB14

cm-red-thunder-exe-Screenshot-2023-11-19

Was it this one ? I have the version from 06.12.2015. 🤔

This is it. I'm currently playing the "Angriff (randomized and expanded)" version from March 2017! 🤩 (Which I propbably got on the FGM repository).

Edited by PEB14

On 11/19/2023 at 8:54 PM, PEB14 said:

This is it. I'm currently playing the "Angriff (randomized and expanded)" version from March 2017! 🤩 (Which I propbably got on the FGM repository).

Yeah, that version is call RDM - Angriff (adapted by @nightops:

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons-scenarios/rdm-angriff/

On 11/19/2023 at 2:15 PM, PEB14 said:

You may have played a different version of this scenario, because I'm 100% sure that the tanks I'm facing are T-34/85! I was more than surprised to see their incredible performance against my Panzer-wonders. Particularly because in the previous PBEM, I played T-34/76 against Panzer IV  — and the T-34 were no match at all! (this was in "Hill 621 Redux", which is as bad a scenario as "Angriff" is a good one — even though I might be the losing side in both cases in the end…).

Another reason I REALLY like the T-34/85!  Because yes, the 85mm gun can make short work of those big cats.