Combat photography: Photos from the front..

20 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

There is nothing like CM.  The micro battles within the battles are absolutely riveting and at times even more memorable than battle itself.

damn straight!  I love to watch the action from a distance then zoom in to the hot actions and watch at ground level.  It's what makes CM so great.

21 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

An idyllic country scene, if it wasn't for all the bullets flying around...

815.png

There is nothing like CM.  The micro battles within the battles are absolutely riveting and at times even more memorable than battle itself.  Here, our last turn ended with two hardened enemies, facing off at almost touching distance, neither team intimidated by the bullets flying past, and the grenade is in the air...

Every meter I take, every new ridgeline or clump of trees, every direction I turn another group of these guys pop up to ambush and harass our attack.

816.png

817.png

I can't believe you did a cliffhanger here!  That's cruel!  What happened????

2 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I can't believe you did a cliffhanger here!  That's cruel!  What happened????

Haha!  The grenade in the air bounced too far and went off behind them.  Both teams start reloading and hugging the ground as tight as they can.  One of my soldiers gets his K98 loaded, takes one shot and drops one of the Soviets right as my other soldier throws another potato masher, taking out the second Soviet and this time putting an end to that brief and terrifying 40 seconds or so.

Mars has smiled on these two this day.

My epic rampage through the soviet rear areas went rather poorly.  I ran into three ZSUs and a T72 over the crest to my front, while also getting hit by T72s that were hidden along a tree line to my left.  Of my 5 M60s, two destroyed, two immobilized, with only one ZSU to their credit.   Disaster, as seen here from soviet view.

WvsXtY9.png

So now we make the best of a tough situation.  I head onto track in the woods w a squad, an M113 and the remaining M60 a couple minutes behind.  After a small arms firefight I approach the hilltop (an objective) and soviets respond with ZSUs and various HQ elements, all of which are smashed.

ZkN5CY4.png

Meanwhile, on my side of the valley there's a zerg rush on the hill at my center.  The M60s you see are knocked out.  I'm engaging from the left with small arms and from the other side of the valley with M60 & M113-50cal fire.  Goal is to pin the soviets long enough for my 107mm mortars to come crashing in. 

FcQhAPa.jpg

Success!  Say hello to my big mortars, commies!

JdwFUW9.jpg

Now need to deal with the 4 T72s & a couple BMPs that are hidden the tree line.  I use some M60 smoke to approach, looking to get into a close range fight with my 5 M60s vs a couple T72s at a time.  The smoke fades and I get two of the T72s right away.  Charge of the M60s!

VLc5yeS.png

After losing two M60s, I finally clear the final T72.  Nasty close in fight.  I had engineers closing in from woods on the enemy right but didn't quite time it right.  I was hoping to have the infantry engage while the T72s were busy with my M60s.  But ended well overall.  All enemy armor destroyed and I can advance with armor & infantry.

QCbDJOJ.png

And a Total Tictory!  Each side lost 21 tanks but soviets lost more AFVs.  My losses in personnel were terrible, though.  What a fight.  I'd love to do the same battle with M1s instead of M60s.  Quite a challenge when half my tank & most of my TOW hits fail to penetrate.

I like it when a plan comes together! 
I was rather chuffed that this close assault by my SPW mounted panzer grenadiers worked.
Took some previous suppression fire and ensuring I'd KO'd any enemy AT guns, then drive at full speed onto the position, all guns on board blazing.
It does not often go quite to plan like this...

4 hours ago, George MC said:

I was rather chuffed that this close assault by my SPW mounted panzer grenadiers worked.
Took some previous suppression fire and ensuring I'd KO'd any enemy AT guns, then drive at full speed onto the position, all guns on board blazing.

That's the assault of my dreams.  I always have one crazy ivan w a ppsh that just won't quit that kills 5 of my guys

9 hours ago, danfrodo said:

That's the assault of my dreams.  I always have one crazy ivan w a ppsh that just won't quit that kills 5 of my guys

Yeah TBh I was tad surprised as more often than not I lose guys to the lone hold out... If you look closely you'll see the LH SPW MG gunner nearly gets nailed by an ATR round. The assault group on the far LHS flank was not fairing as well though. You can see the guys in that position are up and firing back (near end of the vid when it pans to the left).

10 hours ago, George MC said:

Yeah TBh I was tad surprised as more often than not I lose guys to the lone hold out... If you look closely you'll see the LH SPW MG gunner nearly gets nailed by an ATR round. The assault group on the far LHS flank was not fairing as well though. You can see the guys in that position are up and firing back (near end of the vid when it pans to the left).

Still, that was a great assault!  Like @danfrodo says, usually in my attempts it never goes that easy!  I like seeing the enemy ditching out of their holes before you were even on top of them!  I love watching other's videos of these maneuvers, thanks and keep em coming!  

On 10/22/2023 at 4:17 PM, danfrodo said:

My epic rampage through the soviet rear areas went rather poorly.  I ran into three ZSUs and a T72 over the crest to my front, while also getting hit by T72s that were hidden along a tree line to my left.  Of my 5 M60s, two destroyed, two immobilized, with only one ZSU to their credit.   Disaster, as seen here from soviet view.

WvsXtY9.png

So now we make the best of a tough situation.  I head onto track in the woods w a squad, an M113 and the remaining M60 a couple minutes behind.  After a small arms firefight I approach the hilltop (an objective) and soviets respond with ZSUs and various HQ elements, all of which are smashed.

ZkN5CY4.png

Meanwhile, on my side of the valley there's a zerg rush on the hill at my center.  The M60s you see are knocked out.  I'm engaging from the left with small arms and from the other side of the valley with M60 & M113-50cal fire.  Goal is to pin the soviets long enough for my 107mm mortars to come crashing in. 

FcQhAPa.jpg

Success!  Say hello to my big mortars, commies!

JdwFUW9.jpg

Now need to deal with the 4 T72s & a couple BMPs that are hidden the tree line.  I use some M60 smoke to approach, looking to get into a close range fight with my 5 M60s vs a couple T72s at a time.  The smoke fades and I get two of the T72s right away.  Charge of the M60s!

VLc5yeS.png

After losing two M60s, I finally clear the final T72.  Nasty close in fight.  I had engineers closing in from woods on the enemy right but didn't quite time it right.  I was hoping to have the infantry engage while the T72s were busy with my M60s.  But ended well overall.  All enemy armor destroyed and I can advance with armor & infantry.

QCbDJOJ.png

And a Total Tictory!  Each side lost 21 tanks but soviets lost more AFVs.  My losses in personnel were terrible, though.  What a fight.  I'd love to do the same battle with M1s instead of M60s.  Quite a challenge when half my tank & most of my TOW hits fail to penetrate.

Ahhh!  Now I remember...  I played this one H2H against my regular PBEM opponent and I was the Soviets.  It was an absolute bloody mess at the end as I tried to assault a couple of his positions and I got smoked.  I do remember though, one of my T-64s (or was it a 72?) literally had about 19-20 rounds just bounce right off his front armor.  Crew deserted the tank after about shot 15, and still even empty, another 5-8 rounds came in and bounced off the beast!

On 10/25/2023 at 4:40 PM, George MC said:

Good stuff.  I love it when the mounted MG is manned and then guys start standing up and shooting over the sides of the halftrack as it charges in.  It's worked pretty well for me many times, as long as I'm not taking too much incoming...

Edited by Phantom Captain

13 minutes ago, Phantom Captain said:

Ahhh!  Now I remember...  I played this one H2H against my regular PBEM opponent and I was the Soviets.  It was an absolute bloody mess at the end as I tried to assault a couple of his positions and I got smoked.  I do remember though, one of my T-64s (or was it a 72?) literally had about 19-20 rounds just bounce right off his front armor.  Crew deserted the tank after about shot 15, and still even empty, another 5-8 rounds came in and bounced off the beast!

exactly!  That's why I want CMCW 1988.  Where every shot from my abrams is a kill on a T72!  Some might say 'where's the challenge in that".  I say, well, then play as soviets.  I do love the looks of the M60 but it is so outmatched in firepower.

10 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

Good stuff.  I love it when the mounted MG is manned and then guys start standing up and shooting over the sides of the halftrack as it charges in.  It's worked pretty well for me many times, as long as I'm not taking too much incoming...

Yeah I was surprised it worked. They key was totally supressing anyone and everything that could possibly engage the incoming SPW. The attack on the left flank did not fair as well but still succeeded. The enemy had a position on a reverse slope I'd not clocked or supressed so flanking fire did knock some gunners down at close range. But as all good propaganda films do I only showed the good bit!

We are now in the waning moments, with under 10 minutes left in our battle.  Time has now become my enemy as I don't think I will be able to make it to the final VP, however, I have captured all but two and another is still within my grasp.

Here my Puma advances to the heavy bridge VP location and clears out the remaining Soviet infantry guarding the bridge.  The two T-34s were previously knocked out by my advancing Panthers.

858.png

859.png

856.png

Advance, advance, advance!

855.png

In the final 30 minutes, I used my Panzergrenadiers on their halftracks to conduct two quick infantry assault and grabs to secure two of the required VPs.  @George MC, you would appreciate these assaults.  Under cover of armor and as much suppressing fire as possible I rushed two platoons right up onto the Soviet VPs with MGs manned and blazing.  My troops dismounted and immediately started advancing and putting more fire on the defenders who succumbed to the incredible and sudden pressure of my assault!  My casualties were far lower than if I had tried to advance on the position through my enemies clear fields of fire.

857.png

850.png

851.png

Success!  The enemy dead and wounded mark their defensive positions and once we closed on them from multiple angles with the halftracks speed and armor support, they fell brutally quick.

852.png

854.png

Edited by Phantom Captain

37 minutes ago, Phantom Captain said:

We are now in the waning moments, with under 10 minutes left in our battle.  Time has now become my enemy as I don't think I will be able to make it to the final VP, however, I have captured all but two and another is still within my grasp.

Here my Puma advances to the heavy bridge VP location and clears out the remaining Soviet infantry guarding the bridge.  The two T-34s were previously knocked out by my advancing Panthers.

858.png

859.png

856.png

Advance, advance, advance!

855.png

In the final 30 minutes, I used my Panzergrenadiers on their halftracks to conduct two quick infantry assault and grabs to secure two of the required VPs.  @George MC, you would appreciate these assaults.  Under cover of armor and as much suppressing fire as possible I rushed two platoons right up onto the Soviet VPs with MGs manned and blazing.  My troops dismounted and immediately started advancing and putting more fire on the defenders who succumbed to the incredible and sudden pressure of my assault!  My casualties were far lower than if I had tried to advance on the position through my enemies clear fields of fire.

857.png

850.png

851.png

Success!  The enemy dead and wounded mark their defensive positions and once we closed on them from multiple angles with the halftracks speed and armor support, they fell brutally quick.

852.png

854.png

daaaaaaaaaaaang!  I love seeing an armor-infantry assault that succeeds like that.   I've never had one of course, but I am sure it's a great feeling.  😁

5 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

Way to go - excellent and nicely executed :)