Combat photography: Photos from the front..

On the beach... Vierville Draw

dDCERe.png

Looking towards the Vierville draw, the troops are held up by 3 wasp nests, which are tough to crack as not many tanks have landed to deal with them...

dDCHuC.png

A close up of WN 72...

dDCYUF.png

Troops huddle in craters or anything that offers some cover from the constant mortar fire and the hated MG fire...

dDCd8K.png

The troops fire at the WN with little effect...

dDC7Z2.png

Some troops are panicked and try to retreat to the cover of the Hedgehogs and destroyed landing craft...

dDCLT7.png

The situation is the same to the left of the draw and progress is slow... but another wave of troops are soon to land and hopefully they may do better?

dDC47o.png

Eventually small groups of Infantry and Rangers attempt to get to the sea wall... if they don't death is almost certain...

“Two kinds of people are staying on this beach—the dead and those who are going to die.” — Colonel George A. Taylor

dDCDs0.png

This musters the troops and with hate for the enemy they move off as fast as possible in a sprint to the sea wall...

Edited by NPye

16 hours ago, NPye said:

On the beach... Vierville Draw

Looking towards the Vierville draw, the troops are held up by 3 wasp nests, which are tough to crack as not many tanks have landed to deal with them...

A close up of WN 72...

Vierville Draw? In CMRT?? Did I miss a geography lesson at some point? 😎

Irony aside, I'm wondering what mod you are using... It's simply beautiful!

8 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Irony aside, I'm wondering what mod you are using... It's simply beautiful!

Cheers, I make all the mods myself except elements of Lucky Strikes awesome hedgerow hell and some vehicles by Aris and the damaged ones by JM Stuff. I pretty much make or adapt things as and I think I need them, notice the AT bunker, i completely re textured and added the circular overhang to make it look more like the bunkers on the Atlantik Wall, plus all the buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing a 1979 CMCW scenario that so far is one of the best of any CM title that I've played.  Large meeting engagement with lots of options for offense & defense.  So far things going pretty well for the US.

Set up: advance mech infantry & tanks through possibly observed area using smoke to get to some of my objectives.

16m71IU.jpg

Saw 'em coming and got into good firing positions across the valley.  M60s & TOWs had hard time but finally knocked out RU tanks:

5myeThq.jpg

BMPs used terrain to mask movement but got caught by another group of M60s w TOWs I had rushed to the RU side of the valley on the right of the battle:

SnMpFG4.png

With those threats mostly dealt with, time to begin my big flanking operation.  But to do that I first have to knock out the reverse-slope ambush-roadblock in the woods.  Fortunately my scouts heard the BMPs so I knew it was there.  Organized a big infantry-tank attack from three sides, and it worked .

HCi98fn.png

UdYx262.png

One last thorn in my side needs to be handled:  Four T72s(64s?) have been sitting at the edge of some woods in overwatch position the entire battle.  My artillery knocked out two, but two were still stubbornly constricting my ability to poke my head of the slope on my side of the valley.  But with the roadblock gone, I could come at them from behind, from the woods.  Lost one M60 but knocked out the bad guys.  Four lovely smoke plumes.

G24QMKQ.png

Now forming up for what I am hoping will be a rampage through russian backfield on their reverse slope.  Takes time as my forces all thread their way along single forest track.

C7vpYkj.jpg

Russian infantry with some tanks still moving on my side of the valley in dead ground, but hard to engage them so will have to wait until they crest the ridge.  Gonna be quite a shootout at that point.  

23 hours ago, danfrodo said:

FlammenwerferX & PhantomCapt, keep it coming!  This is great stuff, I really enjoy it.  Thanks!  I gotta add some of my recent to this thread, some CMCW fighting.  

Love it!  And very cool.  CW is so brutal and deadly.

What scenario is that?

Edited by Phantom Captain

12 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

Love it!  And very cool.  CW is so brutal and deadly.

What scenario is that?

The Grieshof Meet & Greet.  Really fun so far.  My big flanking op is taking shape.  I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but things are looking good. 

4 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

Success!

Looks good.  Same question you had earlier - what scenario is that?

Sorry - realised the answer will be in the thread above somewhere...

Edit: haven't found it yet as one battle ended and another started 🤔.

Edited by Vacillator

4 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

We are now under the 30 minute mark.

These men were victims to a nasty ambush from a PPsH squad of @FlammenwerferX Soviets.  C'est la guerre.

810.png

Columns of smoke rising from burning vehicles marks the path of the German advance.

811.png

Panthers prowl on that deadly deadly hunt...

812.png

Success!

813.png

ugh, nothing worse than running into ppsh at short range.  Nothing better than being the ambushers w the ppsh.  

What nationality is that smoke?  German or russian?  

Great pics, as always, thanks much

9 hours ago, danfrodo said:

ugh, nothing worse than running into ppsh at short range.  Nothing better than being the ambushers w the ppsh.  

What nationality is that smoke?  German or russian?  

Great pics, as always, thanks much

Haha!  Correct on both accounts.  

Most of it is Russian although there are definitely a few German tanks burning out there too.

An idyllic country scene, if it wasn't for all the bullets flying around...

815.png

There is nothing like CM.  The micro battles within the battles are absolutely riveting and at times even more memorable than battle itself.  Here, our last turn ended with two hardened enemies, facing off at almost touching distance, neither team intimidated by the bullets flying past, and the grenade is in the air...

Every meter I take, every new ridgeline or clump of trees, every direction I turn another group of these guys pop up to ambush and harass our attack.

816.png

817.png