AMD 22.8 series breaks game again

Bufo

27 minutes ago, LeBlaque said:

I posted a trouble ticket at AMD on this crashing out-of-memory issue.  Apparently BF has done so as well as a result of my internal trouble ticket.  Yesterday I got an email from AMD saying "they are tracking it."

Should be another nine months before a fix.... 🙄

I'm getting this now with nvidia cards when I'm running 3 CM games at the same time. Never happened before. 

On 5/31/2023 at 5:48 AM, LeBlaque said:

I posted a trouble ticket at AMD on this crashing out-of-memory issue.  Apparently BF has done so as well as a result of my internal trouble ticket.  Yesterday I got an email from AMD saying "they are tracking it."

Should be another nine months before a fix.... 🙄

@LeBlaque

Are you able to post links to your ticket (and BFCs if it's public) on the AMD forums so folks here can easily chime in there?

For Day of Wrath scenario, I was able to reproduce 'out of memory' with the 23.5.1 driver

My AMD system specs:

Windows 10

Intel i7 9700K

16 GB DDR4 3600Mhz

Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6

500GB Samsung NVMe

4K Display

Running the game with Balanced graphic settings

Both my Nvidia system and my MacOS system were able to open Day of Wrath without issue (even though the Mac is AMD, but Apple does better drivers, clearly)

AMD out of memory error 23.5.1 Radeon driver (Small).png

3 hours ago, nox_plague said:

@LeBlaque

Are you able to post links to your ticket (and BFCs if it's public) on the AMD forums so folks here can easily chime in there?

For Day of Wrath scenario, I was able to reproduce 'out of memory' with the 23.5.1 driver

My AMD system specs:

Windows 10

Intel i7 9700K

16 GB DDR4 3600Mhz

Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6

500GB Samsung NVMe

4K Display

Running the game with Balanced graphic settings

Both my Nvidia system and my MacOS system were able to open Day of Wrath without issue (even though the Mac is AMD, but Apple does better drivers, clearly)

AMD out of memory error 23.5.1 Radeon driver (Small).png

I have no link for the BF troubleticket to AMD-- was just told it occurred by staff.

Here is the link to my AMD ticket:

https://community.amd.com/t5/opengl-vulkan/combat-mission-series-games-23-4-2-driver-fixes-quot-white-flash/m-p/607289

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 4:14 AM, lerxster said:

Can confirm that all CM games are unable to run under AMD 22.9.1 drivers. 

Logo at load up flickers intensely.

Menus are all visable.

Loading into the game textures are as black but am able to see units as pic...

Looking forward to playing the game at some point... 😢

Screenshot 2022-09-27 100422.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-27 100821.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-27 101146.jpg

This is the exact problem I am having, with both CMBN and CMRT. Both games have stopped working with the exact same problem that lerxster posted here.

The 23.4.2 and later drivers fix the issue of the 'black screen' and the 'white flashes' occurring during explosions. However users have run into problems of 'Out of Memory' when running large battles and/or loading large maps.

If your videocard is capable of running some slightly older drivers, the 22.5.1 and 22.6 drivers seem to be mostly problem free, BUT they load the game MUCH slower. The rest of the game performance is fine, but loading a scenario takes 3 times longer than with the newer drivers.

14 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

The 23.4.2 and later drivers fix the issue of the 'black screen' and the 'white flashes' occurring during explosions. However users have run into problems of 'Out of Memory' when running large battles and/or loading large maps.

If your videocard is capable of running some slightly older drivers, the 22.5.1 and 22.6 drivers seem to be mostly problem free, BUT they load the game MUCH slower. The rest of the game performance is fine, but loading a scenario takes 3 times longer than with the newer drivers.

Agreed that the 22 series of drivers noted works as stated.  The remaining elephant-in-the-room issue is that updated drivers designed to improve many other games cannot be installed.  This is a fourteen month issue still unresolved by AMD and Battlefront despite numerous trouble tickets to both.  In fact, things seem to be going backwards as the most recent 23.7.2 drivers are CTD on "medium-sized" battles (less than battalion and smaller maps) in CMRT and CMBS.

Edited by LeBlaque
addition

The issue is solely AMD's. It is unrealistic to expect a developer of Battlefront's size to attempt workarounds for video driver bugs. In fact it is often NOT possible to workaround these bugs. In order to workaround a bug you have to know exactly which calls are affected and whether you can re-engineer your graphics pipeline with different calls. This had been done a few times in the past for CMSF (during its initial development and afterwards), but it is not always possible.

The 'Out of Memory' bug that is primarily affecting AMD users MIGHT be a memory leak within the video driver that is directly affecting CM (crashing CM rather than the video driver). This one is harder to resolve since it hasn't been consistently reported by multiple users. The problem seems to pop-up randomly and not everyone experiences it.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the second amd card I've ever had and it seems they always have problems with certain games.  As I have been considering an upgrade to probably the last computer I will ever buy. I decided to pull the trigger and I have chosen to go with NVidia. Apparently there's reason Amd's components are cheaper. I hope AMD fixes their problems for those of you who don't have this option.

• 1 month later...

@BFCElvis Every few days or weeks people show up on the unofficial CM discord server asking for help with the AMD cards, and every time we can only tell them that they either must roll back drivers, or if they can't roll them back (which the newer cards can't be) then they should seek a refund.

This issue has been going on for over a year now, and I think it's about time that there should be an announcement or warning on the BFC store page and related sales sites like Matrix, Slitherine, and Steam, that currently CM is not supported on AMD cards.

You already do this for integraded chips on the battlefront.com site, but I think it should be explicitly mentioned for AMD cards as well. Very few people know what OpenGL is or what cards support it.

Edited by Grey_Fox

I have tried HARD for months to get this issue resolved with either AMD or BF.  At the risk of sounding like either a naysayer or fanboy, I will just concur completely with @Grey_Fox.  CM games are essentially broken on AMD cards unless legacy drivers are used-- which should not be expected for any game that is still being sold for any reasonable price on Steam, Slitherine, etc.  You cannot get a REFUND on Steam after 2 hours use-- that is NOT a solution or "customer friendly."  Continued sales does not seem ethical without Fox's "warning."

P.S.  I posted AGAIN today to AMD as apparently the "white flashes" are back with the newest driver.

Edited by LeBlaque
addition

On 10/21/2023 at 8:51 PM, Grey_Fox said:

@BFCElvis Every few days or weeks people show up on the unofficial CM discord server asking for help with the AMD cards, and every time we can only tell them that they either must roll back drivers, or if they can't roll them back (which the newer cards can't be) then they should seek a refund.

This issue has been going on for over a year now, and I think it's about time that there should be an announcement or warning on the BFC store page and related sales sites like Matrix, Slitherine, and Steam, that currently CM is not supported on AMD cards.

You already do this for integraded chips on the battlefront.com site, but I think it should be explicitly mentioned for AMD cards as well. Very few people know what OpenGL is or what cards support it.

Here here, well said.

• 2 weeks later...

Welllllll the flashing is back and now with 23.11.1 and, its even worse! I now get a good chunk of my bottom  screen just plain white like  this was a freeware in progress! if I select a unit, that chunk of white shifts to the right side. This is unacceptable.  This is an issue with both Black Sea and Cold War, bet if I boot shockforce 2 I'll have it as well.

20231106175443_1.jpg

Edited by Jiggathebauce

@Jiggathebauce, @nathangun, @Grey_Fox

As noted by Jigga... this issue remains unresolved.  There is allegedly some hope, however-- see this AMD link.  You may wish to consider posting yourself.

https://community.amd.com/t5/opengl-vulkan/combat-mission-series-games-23-4-2-driver-fixes-quot-white-flash/td-p/607289

I am becoming very disenchanted with both Battlefront and AMD.  I understand AMD has no strong desire to address an issue associated with a niche product.  As such, this issue is largely in Battlefront's court as they sell multiple products at full price that are effectively broken with AMD graphics products.  The BF "fanboys" claim we should not expect a small team to come to AMD's rescue.  Well, if we keep passing the buck, who is going to solve the problem??  If you sell a product, unless it is legacy, you are obligated to support it.  Get on the stick, BF!  I tire of constant reporting to BF and AMD on the same issue over and over again.  If I were not such a fan of the games, I'd be posting negative reviews on Steam, and putting-to-rest all my BF products.  And.... next time.... Nvidia.... 

48 minutes ago, LeBlaque said:

@Jiggathebauce, @nathangun, @Grey_Fox

As noted by Jigga... this issue remains unresolved.  There is allegedly some hope, however-- see this AMD link.  You may wish to consider posting yourself.

https://community.amd.com/t5/opengl-vulkan/combat-mission-series-games-23-4-2-driver-fixes-quot-white-flash/td-p/607289

I am becoming very disenchanted with both Battlefront and AMD.  I understand AMD has no strong desire to address an issue associated with a niche product.  As such, this issue is largely in Battlefront's court as they sell multiple products at full price that are effectively broken with AMD graphics products.  The BF "fanboys" claim we should not expect a small team to come to AMD's rescue.  Well, if we keep passing the buck, who is going to solve the problem??  If you sell a product, unless it is legacy, you are obligated to support it.  Get on the stick, BF!  I tire of constant reporting to BF and AMD on the same issue over and over again.  If I were not such a fan of the games, I'd be posting negative reviews on Steam, and putting-to-rest all my BF products.  And.... next time.... Nvidia.... 

There still is the unexplored route of bringing your own OpenGL frontend to then bypass AMD's. This has been actually done by a different software (game) company which had a problem with AMD's drivers.

It might even be possible for a user to try this without BFC's help. But you would need to find somebody who is well-versed in Windows and decided to buy an AMD card.

2 hours ago, Redwolf said:

There still is the unexplored route of bringing your own OpenGL frontend to then bypass AMD's. This has been actually done by a different software (game) company which had a problem with AMD's drivers.

It might even be possible for a user to try this without BFC's help. But you would need to find somebody who is well-versed in Windows and decided to buy an AMD card.

You're proposing that I figure out how to fix a problem that battlefront's tech support is either unable or unwilling to fix, and is technical to the point that no one else in the community has successfully done it or attempted to?

This doesn't seem like something I can just edit a couple lines on- or someone would have by now and shared how they did it. 

Edited by Jiggathebauce

28 minutes ago, Jiggathebauce said:

You're proposing that I figure out how to fix a problem that battlefront's tech support is either unable or unwilling to fix, and is technical to the point that no one else in the community has successfully done it or attempted to?

This doesn't seem like something I can just edit a couple lines on- or someone would have by now and shared how they did it. 

It will be quite challenging, but also fun. Assuming you like working on/with windows and you don't mind try-n-error fixing of closed-source software.

Having said that, I cannot rule out that CMx2 with an AMD graphics card actually runs better on Linux now (assuming the fix discussed here has been merged into Wine). But you would run on a clearly better and clearly more backward compatible OpenGL implementation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 12:49 PM, Redwolf said:

It will be quite challenging, but also fun. Assuming you like working on/with windows and you don't mind try-n-error fixing of closed-source software.

Having said that, I cannot rule out that CMx2 with an AMD graphics card actually runs better on Linux now (assuming the fix discussed here has been merged into Wine). But you would run on a clearly better and clearly more backward compatible OpenGL implementation.

No, fixing the drivers myself is not "fun." And how many of us really run Linux for  F- sake???

Here is my fed-up response today to AMD after another loyal CM purchaser can't get their AMD 7000 card to work... Broken drivers... apparently broken companies....

The unresolvable remains unresolvable with continued excuse-making that it is "fixed" in an internal build with an actual released driver that repairs CTDs and "white flashes" essentially vaporware.  Shame on AMD and Battlefront for allowing this MULTI-YEAR issue to continue to exist.  AMD 7000 users are out of luck as they can't roll-back drivers effectively, and BF continues to sell these products at full price on Steam with no warning the game is essentially broken with updated drivers.   Frankly horrific customer services from both companies.  Too bad this wasn't Call of Duty-- would've been fixed near immediately....

Here is a link to some more history for those that wish to keep up with this miserable issue "resolution."

https://community.amd.com/t5/opengl-vulkan/combat-mission-series-games-23-4-2-driver-fixes-quot-whit...

0 Likes