AMD 22.8 series breaks game again

Bufo

• 3 weeks later...

Also confirming that the 22.8 AMD driver breaks the game.

It's worse than last year's AMD driver issues.  With last year's issues, one could still load and play scenarios with small to mid-sized maps.  This one screws-up the entire game making it completely unplayable.

It is getting worrisome that updating AMD drivers now feels like playing Russian roulette when it comes to the CMx2 games.

Fortunately, I was able to roll-back to 22.5.1 to get the game working again.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Can you roll back to 22.51 like Miles did (confirmed above as still working)?

I can roll back to 22.51 and then roll forward when I want to play a more modern game... Hopefully AMD will sort this out!

I am very fortunate to have been able to play the CM titles years after purchasing. However, it is almost time to call it EOL on my part if I have to go to extreme measures to get the game running. It would be great to see the game engine updated but with a small team coding I can only hope.

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Bufo said:

Seems like 22.10.2. works again.

Edit: not only works, but works even better. 

Happy to report the same. Some graphics oddness but nothing game breaking. Yes it even feels faster/better!

All that I need is for the £ to improve against the $ before I drop a load onto the CM:FI bundle!

5 hours ago, lerxster said:

Happy to report the same. Some graphics oddness but nothing game breaking. Yes it even feels faster/better!

All that I need is for the £ to improve against the $ before I drop a load onto the CM:FI bundle!

Confirmed, works better and faster, indeed. Graphical oddities are exhaust smoke from vehicles and MGs.

1 minute ago, zmoney said:

It does seem faster. I have noticed when explosions occur the screen losses graphics and shows the design of objects with no graphics for several seconds. I removed my mod folder to make sure that wasn’t the issue.

Yes, for me when there's a flash from an explosion the screen goes white and a wire frame of the terrain/object(?). This wire frame is also visable when displaying a "floating" menu, such as the hot key or quit menu. 

Will see if I can capture this tonight. 

7 hours ago, lerxster said:

Yes, for me when there's a flash from an explosion the screen goes white and a wire frame of the terrain/object(?). This wire frame is also visable when displaying a "floating" menu, such as the hot key or quit menu. 

Will see if I can capture this tonight. 

After playing around with some tanks, i noticed that too. I will go back to 22.5.1... 😪

2 hours ago, CM-Kane said:

After playing around with some tanks, i noticed that too. I will go back to 22.5.1... 😪

The drivers are a little unstable... however, after a hour of messing around with the settings I managed to get no flashing with these settings in CM:BS... My game is modded and at the moment works without issues...

Shaders are ON

clipboard01.jpgscreenshot_20221026_191511.pngscreenshot_20221026_191600.png

CM:SF2 doesnt seem to work the same as CM:BS... Flashing is there but inconsistant dependant on explosion type... Some flashing on the whole of the screen and some having no flashing at all!

Also have a weird flashing smoke/dust textures and clumpy smoke stacks from burning vehicles... maddening!

CM:BN is a mess with the same settings... So I am at a loss... 🙄

Edited by lerxster

I had something similar late last year on the Nvidia side. What solved it for me was going into the Control Panel and telling it to play the CM Games at a "Fixed Refresh Rate". So effectively turning off G-Sync/FreeSync etc. If you also have a modern monitor then this may be the culprit. Unsure how/where you would do this with an AMD GPU though for specific programs.

38 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I had something similar late last year on the Nvidia side. What solved it for me was going into the Control Panel and telling it to play the CM Games at a "Fixed Refresh Rate". So effectively turning off G-Sync/FreeSync etc. If you also have a modern monitor then this may be the culprit. Unsure how/where you would do this with an AMD GPU though for specific programs.

Do you know the MAC version of this solution? im having a Graphic issue with SF2 

This is the process to use the:

AMD Bug Report Tool

Depending on what videocard you have and what other games you may run, the 22.6.1 and 22.5.2 drivers both seem to work fine with all of the CM games to my knowledge.

Previous Windows 10 64-bit AMD Radeon drivers (ignore that it says it is for the RX 6500XT, they will work with any Radeon RX 4xx and newer)