AMD 22.8 series breaks game again

Bufo

Hello all, I recently got the urge to play some CM again and ended up downloading shock force 2 and unfortunately saw that the flashing issue was still occurring. Prior to uninstall I decided to check for drivers and ran an update as there was a new driver recently dropped. Currently running latest drivers 23.12.1 on an amd 6800 XT and no flashing, flashing bar or crashes on large scenarios. Currently have tested in the following games CMSF2, CMBS, CMRT and CMBN. Not sure if the same is true for you all?

On 11/7/2023 at 10:49 AM, Redwolf said:

It will be quite challenging, but also fun. Assuming you like working on/with windows and you don't mind try-n-error fixing of closed-source software.

Having said that, I cannot rule out that CMx2 with an AMD graphics card actually runs better on Linux now (assuming the fix discussed here has been merged into Wine). But you would run on a clearly better and clearly more backward compatible OpenGL implementation.

You really are the dumbest person on the planet man. Yeah it will be fun to work for free to fix this companies game, I love doing free work for corporations. You absolute brainlett

Thank you to the people in here actually trying to help, or distributing good info to the rest of us, I'm sorry BF can't be bothered to make their own game work, hopefully this latest post is right and the issue is resolved for now.

7 hours ago, premadebread said:

You really are the dumbest person on the planet man. Yeah it will be fun to work for free to fix this companies game, I love doing free work for corporations. You absolute brainlett

Thank you to the people in here actually trying to help, or distributing good info to the rest of us, I'm sorry BF can't be bothered to make their own game work, hopefully this latest post is right and the issue is resolved for now.

At least what I propose has a chance of success. Mind you a bigger one if Charles were the one to try it, but anyway.

As for the second paragraph of your post - nice chatting but did it lead anywhere?

Believe it or not, I've had some luck with a "fix" on the drivers released early December!  Have it working on CMRT, CMBS, and CMFI... having said this, these are NOT larger battles.  Nevertheless, finally some progress from AMD! per post here. 

https://community.amd.com/t5/opengl-vulkan/combat-mission-series-games-23-4-2-driver-fixes-quot-white-flash/m-p/650762#M5078

16 hours ago, Jiggathebauce said:

I'm seeing on the AMD forum that folks are still out of memory on big scenarios

I was seeing the same, curious as to what is causing it? I was getting the same error prior to the patch when trying to play huge scenarios like Seelow Heights on CMRT. Since the latest patch was able to get through 30 minutes of Seelow Heights and about 10 minutes of Rumpenheim Rumpus on CMCW without incident.

16 hours ago, Jiggathebauce said:

I'm seeing on the AMD forum that folks are still out of memory on big scenarios

Dude Nvidia too. Their drivers significantly reduced openGL performance giving me out of memory errors. I reverted drivers and its mostly normal again. 

They got progressively worse. 

On 12/8/2023 at 11:25 PM, premadebread said:

You're new here and this is the first thing you decide to post? Personally attacking another forum member? 

That will get you a vacation every time.

10 hours ago, Artkin said:

Try running more than one game at once. I used to be able to run 3-4 games simultaneously

Okay ya got me there, I don't usually try to run more than one game at time.  I usually play a turn of a PBEM in one title and then close down and move on to the next one.

If the criticism is that you can't run four instances of CM at the same time it seems a little unusual to me, although I acknowledge you did say you used to be able to do it.

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

Okay ya got me there, I don't usually try to run more than one game at time.  I usually play a turn of a PBEM in one title and then close down and move on to the next one.

If the criticism is that you can't run four instances of CM at the same time it seems a little unusual to me, although I acknowledge you did say you used to be able to do it.

Imagine you have 15 pbems at once and you want to significantly cut down the time required by alt tabbing to another game during the processing part after you click the red button. 

Or if youre comparing a scenario/map between two games (Yes its that bad with the latest drivers). 

Its absolutely unacceptable considering the tech in the cards. 

Okay, okay, so let me just summarize some things here:

- AMD cards have been notoriously fickle with CM-- products for years.  They've been largely BUSTED since early Spring '22 until the most recent version:  except they are busted in large battles (I have confirmed working/not working as described)

-AMD 7000+ users cannot roll-back drivers, so they are SOL until a "full fix."

- Nvidia cards (I just recently found out) are also kinda busted on large battles, with 'deteriorating' drivers relative to OpenGL.

-Rumor from other members is OpenGL programming from BF is "less than ideal?" potentially contributing to these issues.

So in summary, how is this okay?  How is it that regardless of numerous posts to both AMD and BF no one is really willing to offer an explanation, a full solution, hope for the future, etc?  I'm tired of the excuse of "niche product" --- I get it -- but 18 MONTHS without a solution for games that are still being SOLD on multiple sites?  This is NOT a legacy product!!  If the game is not working on AMD, Nvidia, etc. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE TO PERMANENTLY RESOLVE THIS!!

And... why is it I have never seen any post from BF on the AMD site regarding these issues?  If they are using a "back door" they are not being successful, and I'm surprised that Dipak over at AMD (who I've bitched loud and long to) has never said anything regarding a BF inquiry to resolve this.

As Sgt. Rock says, 'nuff said.

Edited by LeBlaque
addition

57 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

Errr. When you alt-tab out of a game it shouldn't take up video RAM anymore until you get back into it, no?

I spent a lot of time with all CMx2 games loaded and up in the dock on my Mac with 8 GB video RAM. Clearly they are not all resident in VRAM (although they are in normal RAM).

Not sure why I'm getting out of memory errors with two games running maps at the same time on the latest nvidia drivers then. 8gb vram 16gb ram. 

And when I rolled back the drivers I could run at least two games.

Back when I first got my rtx 3060ti I could run as many games as I wanted at the same time. Once I updated the drivers I remember it becoming much worse

Edited by Artkin