AMD 22.8 series breaks game again

Bufo

21 hours ago, LeBlaque said:

@Battlefront.com, et. al. Thanks for the test and great feedback.  The out-of-memory error seems like a "driver-killer" as I experienced this as well on a large CMRT e-mail battle with drivers after 22.5.2.  Despite the flashbang being resolved in newest, if the game crashes that is a fatal flaw.  Do we all need to do ANOTHER separate trouble ticket for BF and AMD??

Unfortunately, the out-of-memory issue has been an existing conflict between some AMD drivers and CMx2 for several years now.   (In fact, it was the first problem I ever had with them.)  What makes it frustrating is that some driver updates have caused the issue and other have not.  It seems utterly random.

Trying to avoid it, I haven't updated my AMD drivers in almost a year.    The 22.5.1 work fine with CMx2 and, fortunately, I don't play games that require recent drivers.  So, it's not that that big of an inconvenience for me, but I know it may be frustrating for other gamers.

21 hours ago, LeBlaque said:

@Battlefront.com, et. al. Thanks for the test and great feedback.  The out-of-memory error seems like a "driver-killer" as I experienced this as well on a large CMRT e-mail battle with drivers after 22.5.2.  Despite the flashbang being resolved in newest, if the game crashes that is a fatal flaw.  Do we all need to do ANOTHER separate trouble ticket for BF and AMD??

You do.

But you need to make it reproducible with a CMx2 demo so that AMD folks can run it.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, Codreanu said:

Just tested it and it's fixed! Game still loads super fast too. There still seem to be some graphical issues though, U.S. rifle squads in CMBN have giant antennae sticking out of them and some vehicles have similar problems and the bocage can look weird at certain angles too, tested it with and without mods.

UTlUPAJ.jpgEwzfO5I.jpg

I'm also seeing this issue, certain angles and closeness to units in particular it's visible. Ideas?

@BFCElvis

On 4/22/2023 at 9:43 AM, Myles Keogh said:

Unfortunately, the out-of-memory issue has been an existing conflict between some AMD drivers and CMx2 for several years now.   (In fact, it was the first problem I ever had with them.)  What makes it frustrating is that some driver updates have caused the issue and other have not.  It seems utterly random.

Trying to avoid it, I haven't updated my AMD drivers in almost a year.    The 22.5.1 work fine with CMx2 and, fortunately, I don't play games that require recent drivers.  So, it's not that that big of an inconvenience for me, but I know it may be frustrating for other gamers.

@Myles Keogh @Battlefront.com Unlike Myles, I do need updated drivers (ideally) for other games.  23.4.2 is still bugged, and apparently, this is a long-standing issue per above post.  This is infuriating in a way, as I am playing an email game in CMRT flawlessly (no flashbang, etc.) but a game in CMBS got the following error, then afterwards crashes to desktop when I rotate the view (my card is an RX 6600XT w. 8MB).  I have attached relevant pics/dropbox links for BF (and others) to check on their AMD systems.  All I can say is, WTF....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l25g01e0okcrrb5/Rollin' On The River 105.ema?dl=0        (CMBS PW: od)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t049ub1b2xbdur/Retaking of Koshtovnist 153.ema?dl=0  (CMRT PW: od)

image.png.60d8171933d09f5f95064d3fdd009aa2.png

With Driver 23.4.2, I'm also no longer experiencing the white flashes, and game loading is so much faster.

I've tested this in Black Sea, Red Thunder, and Afghanistan.

Folks thanks for all adding to the forum on AMD - look how we all made some noise and got it fixed, finally!

If I could appeal to this AMD community for some help-- while we collectively helped fix the "flashbang" the out-of-memory issue is also a game-killer.  I am working with John at BF on a trouble-ticket but some extra "data" would help solve the problem.  What would be helpful is try loading the LARGEST CM (Black Sea is a culprit, others) and see if the scenario crashes the game.

My buddy and I have the exact same AMD card with 8GB or VRAM, but different levels of RAM (He 32 me 16).  My mid-size email game crashes CMBS with 23-series drivers-- though not tiny scenarios-- while his system does not crash. BUT, the biggest CMBS files crash both our systems.  Any feedback from the community would help resolve this continuing driver issue.... Let's get this problem knocked out, too!  @Jiggathebauce @nox_plague @lerxster @BFCElvis  @Bufo @Codreanu et. al.

Edited by LeBlaque

On 5/5/2023 at 6:39 PM, LeBlaque said:

If I could appeal to this AMD community for some help-- while we collectively helped fix the "flashbang" the out-of-memory issue is also a game-killer.  I am working with John at BF on a trouble-ticket but some extra "data" would help solve the problem.  What would be helpful is try loading the LARGEST CM (Black Sea is a culprit, others) and see if the scenario crashes the game.

My buddy and I have the exact same AMD card with 8GB or VRAM, but different levels of RAM (He 32 me 16).  My mid-size email game crashes CMBS with 23-series drivers-- though not tiny scenarios-- while his system does not crash. BUT, the biggest CMBS files crash both our systems.  Any feedback from the community would help resolve this continuing driver issue.... Let's get this problem knocked out, too!  @Jiggathebauce @nox_plague @lerxster @BFCElvis  @Bufo @Codreanu et. al.

With CMBS I could load and run a minute with both the dueling shaskas and valley of death scenarios. They are one of the largest.

8 minutes ago, Jiggathebauce said:

Ok folks, I just tried one of the Soviet training scenario 2's, the one of the MRB in meeting engagement. 5 turns in I ran out of memory and hadn't saved 😭

I have an open trouble ticket that has been confirmed by BF and one of their beta testers RE: Out-of-Memory bug on the newest 23 drivers.   It appears it happens on the largest battle maps as dependent on folks' AMD systems, smaller maps can be run w/o issue (including my own).  Having said this, the beta tester's crash with 12 GB VRAM is certainly cause for concern.  AND, CMBS Steam version is more problematic compared to BF direct purchase (unfortunately).

Alright so it's not an ideal solution, but i found that if I plotted all my orders on turn 1, hit save, the following day I was able to play 10 turns of action without crashing, and 2 more saves. Bite and hold, gentlemen. 2/3 of my FSE's rifle company vehicles are toast, 40% of the infantry but i still got my tank platoon in overwatch and...not seeing the enemies tow's. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, nathangun said:

Just updated to 23.5.1 today and my flashbang issue is gone, in CMRT at least. Big maps still don't load in CMRT. 

I don't have a problem with this neither on my desktop PC, nor with my laptop.

And my laptop has a weak integrated AMD GPU (CPU is the 4650U), yet even the biggest maps run fine.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:14 PM, nathangun said:

Just updated to 23.5.1 today and my flashbang issue is gone, in CMRT at least. Big maps still don't load in CMRT. 

I take back my previous post. There is a problem also for me (both on PC and laptop), but not with all the maps. I tried one of the biggest which works for me, but other maps don't. Didn't find the culprit so far.

And yes, the error message is out of memory.

I posted a trouble ticket at AMD on this crashing out-of-memory issue.  Apparently BF has done so as well as a result of my internal trouble ticket.  Yesterday I got an email from AMD saying "they are tracking it."

Should be another nine months before a fix.... 🙄