AMD 22.8 series breaks game again

Bufo

I have a AMD graphics card on my laptop, my desktop has a Nvidia which all games work.

However, Shock Force 2, Cold War and Black Sea (steam versions) seem to work fine but Battle for Normandy, Fortress Italy, Red Thunder and Final Blitzkrieg I'm having issues, nothing appears in the 'saved game' and the 'Scenario' lists.

nathangun - Typically the 'saved game' and scenarios/campaigns are located in your User account's 'Documents' folder. Specifically:

CMBN:  /Users/'user account name'/Documents/Battlefront/Combat Mission Battle for Normandy

CMFI, CMRT & CMFB:  /Users/'user account name'/Documents/Battlefront/Combat Mission/'name of specific game'

If you have more than one account on this computer, then you would need to login to your computer with the account that was used during the games' installation. If there is only one account or you are already using the account that was used during the installation and you cannot locate any of the 'saved games' or scenario files within the above listed directories (within the '../Game Files' directory), then you may want to reinstall all of the non-Steam games. I don't know if right-clicking on the installer and using 'Run as Administrator' during the installation helps or not, but it is something you can try if you get the same results. Also, temporarily deactivate any anti-virus/security software you are running to make sure that it doesn't interfere and possibly quarantine/delete some of the files during installation.

For a game that has already been activated on the computer, there shouldn't be a need to reactivate the game, unless something changed about your computer since you originally activated it, including reinstalling Windows or some sort of significant hardware change.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

I suspect that it may take awhile for AMD to resolve this issue. In the AMD Bug Report thread (on AMD's site, linked earlier in this thread), one user mentions that there are a significant number of missing OpenGL extensions after the 22.6.1 driver (22.7.x and on). CM may be using an OpenGL call that requires one of these missing extensions. The question then becomes on whether AMD intends to re-add these missing extensions or if they consider them 'deprecated' and not worth supporting anymore. That decision (on AMD's behalf) may depend on how many other games have issues due to this missing support in the driver.

If AMD firmly signals that they do not intend on supporting these OpenGL extensions anymore, then Battlefront either needs to find a way to replicate the missing behavior with newer OpenGL calls (not an easy task) or somehow engineer a switch in the code to turn off 'screen shake for explosions' for AMD drivers (via an option checkbox) - also not necessarily an easy task. If the issue comes down to Battlefront needing to make the changes, then it is possible (depending on the complexity of the possible fixes) that a long term fix may not come about until the Engine 5 release. That is just a guess on my part.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

1 hour ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I suspect that it may take awhile for AMD to resolve this issue. In the AMD Bug Report thread (on AMD's site, linked earlier in this thread), one user mentions that there are a significant number of missing OpenGL extensions after the 22.6.1 driver (22.7.x and on). CM may be using an OpenGL call that requires one of these missing extensions. The question then becomes on whether AMD intends to re-add these missing extensions or if they consider them 'deprecated' and not worth supporting anymore. That decision (on AMD's behalf) may depend on how many other games have issues due to this missing support in the driver.

If AMD firmly signals that they do not intend on supporting these OpenGL extensions anymore, then Battlefront either needs to find a way to replicate the missing behavior with newer OpenGL calls (not an easy task) or somehow engineer a switch in the code to turn off 'screen shake for explosions' for AMD drivers (via an option checkbox) - also not necessarily an easy task. If the issue comes down to Battlefront needing to make the changes, then it is possible (depending on the complexity of the possible fixes) that a long term fix may not come about until the Engine 5 release. That is just a guess on my part.

Guess I'm not playing combat mission anytime in the next several months, lucky if i get to this year. I'm not swapping to legacy drivers everytime i want to play just CM.

1 hour ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Or do what X-Plane does:

8 minutes ago, Jiggathebauce said:

Is there a ready to go one? I'm not too savvy on making my own workaround for OpenGL 

Well, not for CM. It is unknown whether the calls that are wrongly or not at all implemented in AMD's new drivers are all in this Mesa library.

But the point is - since it is open source you could fix it yourself, unlike the AMD Windows drivers.

Chances are that the Mesa drivers are indeed more complete than AMD's new drivers because some people have been running CMx2 on Wine without complaints, and that uses the Mesa backend on AMD and Intel graphics hardware. Also, it works for X-Plane, which is also an old OpenGL game (or rather, their extensions).

On 4/12/2023 at 9:59 AM, Jiggathebauce said:

Apparently AMD is implementing the fix! Just asked on their forum when it will hit for users, wether in a new update or something. Really looking forward to the performance improvements with no Flashes!!!! Can't wait to play the new cold war module when it hits as long as the game works well

Awesome, I've been taking a break from CM since the drivers started breaking things so it'll be great to get back into it again. Big thanks to everyone who helped out by reporting the issue so we could get it fixed!

55 minutes ago, LeBlaque said:

Anybody brave enough to see if the most recent drivers 23.4.2 fixed the issue? (e.g. @Jiggathebauce @Bufo

Just tested it and it's fixed! Game still loads super fast too. There still seem to be some graphical issues though, U.S. rifle squads in CMBN have giant antennae sticking out of them and some vehicles have similar problems and the bocage can look weird at certain angles too, tested it with and without mods.

UTlUPAJ.jpgEwzfO5I.jpg

Edited by Codreanu

54 minutes ago, Codreanu said:

Just tested it and it's fixed! Game still loads super fast too. There still seem to be some graphical issues though, U.S. rifle squads in CMBN have giant antennae sticking out of them and some vehicles have similar problems and the bocage can look weird at certain angles too, tested it with and without mods.

UTlUPAJ.jpgEwzfO5I.jpg

Addendum: The graphical issues are on some scenarios really obvious but on others are practically invisible. Here's a random quick battle where everything looks fine, maybe it has something to do with the time of day? Regardless, the flashbang explosions are gone so the game is actually playable now.

yNiMGfj.jpg

Also getting some out of memory crashes on big maps like Seelow Heights in CMRT that I'm not getting with 22.5.2, update seems like a bit of a mixed bag.

Edited by Codreanu

11 hours ago, Codreanu said:

Also getting some out of memory crashes on big maps like Seelow Heights in CMRT that I'm not getting with 22.5.2, update seems like a bit of a mixed bag.

@Battlefront.com, et. al. Thanks for the test and great feedback.  The out-of-memory error seems like a "driver-killer" as I experienced this as well on a large CMRT e-mail battle with drivers after 22.5.2.  Despite the flashbang being resolved in newest, if the game crashes that is a fatal flaw.  Do we all need to do ANOTHER separate trouble ticket for BF and AMD??

Edited by LeBlaque