How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

39 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

@sburke

Lt.colonel, Lenar Yenikeyev, artillery chief of 4th military base (Southern Osetia, occupied part of Georgia) of 58th CAA of Suthern military district. Got lost on 2nd of October likely in Kherson oblast

The deputy commander and now the artillery chief.  Seems the 4th military base took a good hit.

UKR civil vilunteer Roman Donik, who supplies 93rd mech.brigade, refutes enemy propaganda claims that PMC assault troops broke through UKR lines near Pidhorodne village (between Bakhmut and Soledar) and as if fight already inside the city llimt of Bakhmut. 

He also refuted yeaterday claims that Wagners seize the hill near Soledar. Though he tells the enemy really heavy assaulting already three days. One assault groups change other and this continues almost whole day. Involved all - LPR regulars, LPR mobiks, PMC, Russian regulars. He claims yesterday Russians lost aat least 50 KIA in zone of responsibility of 93rd brigade.

DPR blogger Marina Kharkova wrote DPR authorities liberated some jailed, especially, who was in army and they immediately have been sending to frontline. Looks like LPR also became use jailed - Roman Donik showed military ID of killed sniper of 7th MRB of LPR - typical criminal face - was mobilized on 20th September and kileld on 5th October

5 hours ago, danfrodo said:

You mean Dark Beyond the Stars by Frank Robinson?  I loooooved that book when I read it 30 years ago.  And now I see it's not even available on kindle.  Dangit, was great book.

I think that was rather a reference to H.P. Lovecraft and this guy: https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Yog-Sothoth

3 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

The triple 7 is towed by the barrel. What isn’t shown is the connection to the towing vehicle which is at least two to three feet above the road surface.

Since the center of gravity of the whole gun assembly is probably directly over the wheels, there is not much force going into the barrel. Mostly from the drag from the wheels, which is in line with the barrel. That is a direction a pipe can handle well.
Also, not much of a momentum for the same reason. The only input here is drag difference from the wheels. But the length of the lever for this is in proportion to the length of the gun very small, so small momentum.

It may be a bit reckless to pull a gun by the barrel, but it is actually quite clever. I can't imagine the ridicule the engineer that first thought of it had to go through. :)

I didn't see this posted in the thread, some are willing to risk their lives sailing 300 miles into the Bering strait to avoid Putin's war. I'm not sure what will happen to them. I would think they would definitely qualify under the asylum laws.

• Two Russians sailed hundreds of miles to a remote Alaskan island, local and federal officials said.

• According to a media report, the individuals were fleeing Putin's military mobilization.

• A Homeland Security official told Insider the individuals were sent to Anchorage to be processed.

Two Russians sail to Alaska to avoid Putin's war

18 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

If this is true, it gives me hope.  For all of those that say that Russian culture is irredeemable, I ask 

If Ukraine was such a substantial part of Russia/Soviet Union just over 30 years ago, I have hopes that if there is actually a change at the top in Russia we could see a change in the overall regard for humanity across the board.

This may be a simplistic view, and I have no idea if the average Ukrainian from 30+ years ago had the same views as today's Russians, but it gives me hope and there are times when hope in your fellow man is all you can ask for.

9 minutes ago, MSBoxer said:

This may be a simplistic view, and I have no idea if the average Ukrainian from 30+ years ago had the same views as today's Russians, but it gives me hope and there are times when hope in your fellow man is all you can ask for.

I think kraze is gonna mail you a pile of dog poo for even suggesting that.

Imagine that was an attentive full house when he spoke. Can only imagine what was said during the side/late night conversations.  GSOF Symposium in Budapest.

Brigadier General Viktor KHORENKO

Commander, Special Operations Forces, Armed Forces Ukraine

https://www.gsofeurope.org/speakers/viktor-khorenko?&sortby=personSurname asc&searchgroup=libraryentry-speakers

Edited by Billy Ringo
added content

1 hour ago, MSBoxer said:

If this is true, it gives me hope.  For all of those that say that Russian culture is irredeemable, I ask 

If Ukraine was such a substantial part of Russia/Soviet Union just over 30 years ago, I have hopes that if there is actually a change at the top in Russia we could see a change in the overall regard for humanity across the board.

I could definitely be wrong about this, and please correct me if I am, but the change in Ukraine came from the bottom up and not the top down. The people wanted freedom and fought for it. 

There has been substantial talk on reform, change and possible fracturing of the Russian Federation in our thread and I believe at some point it will happen to an unknown extent. I also believe that it will have to be from the people up and don't expect any of the ruling elite to be able to or want to change the system that has benefited them for so long. 

3 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Squad leader scolds turret gunner becasuse he dosn't shot. He was making several short bursts and claimed MG is perioodicaly jamming. When HMMWW drives away, commander again scolds gunner in order he shot at treeplant    

Someone in the comments of that thread did say "Look, as a Motor T Marine I am all about this **** except for one thing: 8- to 10-round bursts, my turret guy. Little taps on the trigger will jam your M2. Hold that butterfly down so Mama Deuce can say her piece: "Die, motha****a, die!"

29 minutes ago, Offshoot said:

Someone in the comments of that thread did say "Look, as a Motor T Marine I am all about this **** except for one thing: 8- to 10-round bursts, my turret guy. Little taps on the trigger will jam your M2. Hold that butterfly down so Mama Deuce can say her piece: "Die, motha****a, die!"

Dakka! Dakka! Dakka! You can never have too much dakka! 😎

4 hours ago, poesel said:

I think that was rather a reference to H.P. Lovecraft and this guy: https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Yog-Sothoth

Since the center of gravity of the whole gun assembly is probably directly over the wheels, there is not much force going into the barrel. Mostly from the drag from the wheels, which is in line with the barrel. That is a direction a pipe can handle well.
Also, not much of a momentum for the same reason. The only input here is drag difference from the wheels. But the length of the lever for this is in proportion to the length of the gun very small, so small momentum.

It may be a bit reckless to pull a gun by the barrel, but it is actually quite clever. I can't imagine the ridicule the engineer that first thought of it had to go through. :)

I understood Huba’s humor, but just wanted to point out that the Triple 7 is designed to be towed that way, which is why if you look at a 777, there’s what look like a flat tongue with a tow ring extending from the muzzle end of the barrel.