How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

55 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Is it just the info I am seeing or have things gone kinda dark from the front?  Seems multiple sources are saying there's huge 'contested' zones on both Kherson & Svatove fronts.

I see probing UKR attacks around Svatove and in Kherson around Bruskinse and Duvchnay but that's it. I'm not sure about huge contested zones. 

19 hours ago, MSBoxer said:

This may be a simplistic view, and I have no idea if the average Ukrainian from 30+ years ago had the same views as today's Russians, but it gives me hope and there are times when hope in your fellow man is all you can ask for.

No. For Ukrainian mentality never matter expansionism and superiority, aggressive demonstration and boasting by own brutal force, cruelty etc. In times of Tsar and Soviet Union was supporting typical stereotype of Ukrainian - good-natured, mild, wily, сunning, industrious, but slightly lazy and hidebound farmer. And this in some aspects is matched. And some Russian literature classics often contraposed mores of Russians and Ukrainans. Of course, in Soviet times, during huge industrialization and moving of pupulation masses happened some sort of russification (and I would say sovetization), especially in eastern regions.

Though, even Soviet culture didn't propagansize such cult of war, violence and own superiority. Such sharp concentrated mixture of violence,  brutality, chauvinism in Russian mentaluty theese are consequenses of Putin's TV-upbringing. When your TV filled with dozens films about wars, about "criminal romance", where bandits are "good guys with own honour codex", when from TV shows and in schools continously repeat that all hardships of life are because evil West collapsed and divided USSR - the "great and noble country, which rescue the world from fascism" and cult of Victory Day turned in anti-western "we can repeat" - all this gradually shift your mind and enforce worst Russian features of mentality. But despite Russian mass-culture in theese years conquerred Ukrainian TV air and media market, it had much less influence on Ukranians, than on Russians. Probably because of we really "are not you". Though, Ukrainans as frontier-metality nation easily can turn from "placid farmers" to "fierce devils" on battlefield.  We have even proverb "when Ukrainians are scared, all around don't care, but when Ukrainans don't care all around are scared"

Edited by Haiduk

45 minutes ago, dan/california said:

If true, this is a big deal. Either Ukrainian SOF teams are stepping it up, or they have nice new domestically produced cruise missile. 150 miles from the nearest Ukrainian territory if I am looking at the right Shaykivka.

Edit: I am surprised they weren't keeping those further back, actually.

RU claims they used big drone. But it might indeed be launched from RU territory.

Un soldat ukrainien sur un char, à Bakhmut, le 7 octobre 2022.
"A Ukrainian soldier on a tank, in Bakhmut, October 7, 2022. YASUYOSHI CHIBA / AFP"
* T-64BV

Ukrainian soldiers kneel as their comrades carry the coffins of Ukrainian soldiers killed in action during a funeral ceremony.  In Lviv, October 7, 2022.
"Ukrainian soldiers kneel as their comrades carry the coffins of Ukrainian soldiers killed in action during a funeral ceremony. In Lviv, October 7, 2022. YURIY DYACHYSHYN / AFP"

Macron announces a fund of 100 million euros for the direct purchase by kyiv of military equipment

Emmanuel Macron announced on Friday the creation of a "special fund of 100 million euros" so that Ukraine can "purchase directly from our industrialists the equipment it needs most to support its war effort" . declared the French president to the press in Prague after a European summit. This fund will finance the purchase  of "defensive weapons"  such as those already delivered by France since the start of the Russian offensive in Ukraine in February, specified the Head of State.

France has so far provided eighteen 155 mm Caesar guns with a range of 40 km, anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles, forward armored vehicles (VAB), fuel, individual equipment and fifteen 155 mm TRF1 towed guns to Ukraine.

“There is very clearly a reaffirmed desire to support Ukraine at this moment of the war, to continue to support it with our budgetary support, with the preparation for reconstruction or with our military support” , underlined Emmanuel Macron. .

The Head of State also confirmed that France was planning to deliver six additional Caesar guns to Ukraine, taken from an order intended for Denmark. “But it is a discussion that has certain technical aspects that is being finalized ,” he said.

Within the French army, some wonder about this aid. “The equipment available is that used in the French army, which is precisely sized (…) . If they are sent to Ukraine, it is a military capacity that is amputated” , warned General Pierre Schill, Chief of Staff of the Army, during a hearing at the National Assembly on July 20.

Edited by Taranis

1 hour ago, akd said:

Through-and-through penetration of T-72B turret?

9D44B9F5-5695-4535-AF06-B8FD25747EB8.thumb.jpeg.1d4f8ab782b0d44cc4563ed3be3d5612.jpeg

Is it me or does the ERA on that part of the turret look like it's oriented the wrong way for frontal shots?  There's what looks like a very damaged ERA mount point just above the entry hole, and the neighboring ERA looks like it's better oriented for a top attack, like from a Javelin or air-launched attack.  The way those blocks are oriented, it looks like the round could have come in nearly parallel to the plates and just hit the explosive.

5 hours ago, Probus said:

The same tweet as before but translated. Can someone @Haiduk verify the translation?

Yes, all coorect. Our soldier very angry on Russian and swears it in each word (English translation doesn't reflect all spectre of Russian filthy language 😀 ), but anyway he says "we are not like you" and tried to free his leg.   

21 minutes ago, Taranis said:

The equipment available is that used in the French army, which is precisely sized (…) . If they are sent to Ukraine, it is a military capacity that is amputated” , warned General Pierre Schill, Chief of Staff of the Army, during a hearing at the National Assembly on July 20.

YAY for France for sending more aid. 

On subject of ceasars -- what does he mean by this quote above?  Does he mean the gun systems require more training than the UKR soldiers currently have?

1 minute ago, panzermartin said:

https://www.ft.com/content/9a7b922b-2435-4ac7-acdb-0ec9a6dc8397

Did the UA outpace starlink in newly liberated regions, or the russian lasers are doing actual work 😄 (Or Musk is setting the limits in accordance to his Twitter polls) 

We don't know, it is a case study in why people like Musk should keep their mouths shut. Because now a couple of billion people are questioning his motives and trust worthiness over what should be a routine technical issue.

3 hours ago, Harmon Rabb said:

Do the Ukrainian equivalent of MREs come come with FRHs(Flameless ration heaters)? It would be nice to send some over. Something as simple as a warm meal can probably be helpful for troop morale on the battlefield when the cold kicks in.

Yes, we have (though there are several versions of MRE and some w/o heaters), but Ukrainains are always Ukrainans - if situation allows to cook, soldiers prefer to eat "fresh home meal".  Also civil volunteers supply troops with home-made borshch in cans, varenyky and other food, which are cooking other volunteers. This is not big part of food supply, but soldiers have access to different sources of food, including "shtat" field kitchens

Edited by Haiduk

7 minutes ago, panzermartin said:

https://www.ft.com/content/9a7b922b-2435-4ac7-acdb-0ec9a6dc8397

Did the UA outpace starlink in newly liberated regions, or the russian lasers are doing actual work 😄 (Or Musk is setting the limits in accordance to his Twitter polls) 

We know Musk is both scum and petty. I can perfectly well imagine him messing with Starling to punish the Ukrainians for not recognizing his genius enough. He is probably not that dumb, but who knows.

1 hour ago, dan/california said:

If true, this is a big deal. Either Ukrainian SOF teams are stepping it up, or they have nice new domestically produced cruise missile. 150 miles from the nearest Ukrainian territory if I am looking at the right Shaykivka.

Edit: I am surprised they weren't keeping those further back, actually.

It probably isn't realistic operationally but it would be great karma to return some of the Iranians to sender.

Edited by Letter from Prague

He means the French army has sent so many Caesars that they have units that are short, and basically sitting around until more get built. Since France has sent less than fifty of them it is a case study in the way a lot of NATO militaries just running MUCH too lean on equipment and spares. Building production lines that can build five of something in a year isn't terribly wise.

23 minutes ago, chrisl said:

Is it me or does the ERA on that part of the turret look like it's oriented the wrong way for frontal shots?  There's what looks like a very damaged ERA mount point just above the entry hole, and the neighboring ERA looks like it's better oriented for a top attack, like from a Javelin or air-launched attack.  The way those blocks are oriented, it looks like the round could have come in nearly parallel to the plates and just hit the explosive.

It's not even dynamic protection. The frontal armor of the tower of the newer T-72 models is multi-layered (several layers of steel and rubber sheets), which can significantly increase resistance to cumulative ammunition. Theoretically, the frontal armor of the turret of the newer T-72 models should be insurmountable for tank HEAT rounds even without ERA. But in our case, the T72M was shot down, which is an export version with monolithic steel armor, which resists cumulative ammunition much worse.

Apparently they are geofencing so the Russians can't use it, and the Ukrainians have had issues getting the "fence" adjusted as they advance. It would have been a purely technical problem with an entirely doable solution, but because Musk has been running his mouth and sounding like a tankie there is a massive case of mistrust.

1 hour ago, Grigb said:

RU claims they used big drone. But it might indeed be launched from RU territory.

I believe they claim this by showing a drone shot down in Azerbaijan in 2020, so this seems simply to have an answer and response to attack (look, we already shot it down).

7 minutes ago, akd said:

I believe they claim this by showing a drone shot down in Azerbaijan in 2020, so this seems simply to have an answer and response to attack (look, we already shot it down).

RU has been phoning in their propaganda the whole war, just not even pretending to try. It was sort of working internally, until mobilization. Now literally nobody on the planet believes them.

2 hours ago, Probus said:

Ouch! That little grenade really wounded a lot more soldiers than I thought it could.

I dont know what kind of explosive that is (looks like VOG-17) but they appear to far outperform whatever my Pixeltruppen are using in CMBS :)

9 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Just when ya think the world is filled w idiots, someone puts together something of utter brilliance, like this.  Thanks for sharing, you restored my faith in humanity.

This is second RUS-UKR war cartoon on Bayaux theme - one already was posted here, I don't know who is author, but he has great sence of humor and knowledge of history )

Maybe he will depict all story of this war in this way %)

Edited by Haiduk