How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 minute ago, dan/california said:

Clearly looking to envelope Svatove if this map has any bearing on reality.

Seems logical. Press to Svatovo, roll RU positions along Zherebec and P66 road, pick a weak part of the line, breaktrough, roll the rest of the line. Or something like this ;)

3 hours ago, Beleg85 said:

Not one persona but rather collection of lower figures. Margarita Simonyan run many propaganda projects for Putin, including starting RT. Solovyev is one of more nasty persons around. Also hosts of various shows like Skabaieva (a hideous woman with not less terrible hairdress) serve daily dose of propaganda for Russians.

But it is hard to mark one person of significance similar to Goebbels in Third Reich, who, beside running propaganda, was serious political figure on his own. They are more like technocrats of modern media than figures of true influence. Certainly assassinating some popular talk-show host (however pathetic human being him be) would bring Ukrainians nothing except extra outrage of Russian public and even more support for "Special Operation". There is a different story with hardcore Nats and people directly responsible for atrocities, of course.

Extremely interesting developments inside Russian power structure, if only because so rarely political infights go beyond walls of Kremlin. Probably Putin will soon need serious scapegoats from high military command.

You know, all the SBU needs to do is start tossing targets out of windows. Then the FSB, MOD and Putin would all think it was an inside job. ;) 

On 10/4/2022 at 1:13 PM, Artkin said:

Thanks, I tend to think too far back to 1942 and compare.

I had once lived on a lake for a year (Buffalo, New York). The climate is obviously much different, but I learned early that  the lake was the reason why we experienced 1m+ snowfalls every time a storm hit. Some parts of the sidewalk would be bare, and others would have a massive snow berm formed from the wind.

I live about 10-15 miles from the Atlantic in coastal New England (just north of Boston), and the ocean definitely keeps us warmer, in general, than areas just 50 miles farther west. The U.S./Canadian Great Lakes, are a much different climate. The prevailing winds in North America are from the west. That means they blow across the lakes, chilling the lakes and loading up with moisture that gets dumped as “lake effect” snow. We don’t get that effect on the coast unless the winds are from the north/north-east.

my last Marine Reserve unit in western Massachusetts was part of the 4th Marine Brigade Rapid Deployment Force. Our mission was defense of northern Norway, so we spent 10 to 11 drill weekends training in the mountains no matter what the weather was like. That is how you train for cold weather operations.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:16 PM, Artkin said:

You wear vapor barriers if you're serious about moisture. Like, plastic bags around your feet and under your socks.

Have to disagree. The plastic will retain the moisture from your sweat and will saturate your socks and make things much worse. You want materials that are permeable and let moisture escape. That include changing your socks. When we were in freezing conditions, I’d have my men remove their boots during a rest stop so I could inspect their feet for condition. Of course, that would mostly go by the wayside in combat situations. I seriously doubt many Russian NCOs have any interest in trying to take care of the men though.

14 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Have to disagree. The plastic will retain the moisture from your sweat and will saturate your socks and make things much worse. You want materials that are permeable and let moisture escape. That include changing your socks. When we were in freezing conditions, I’d have my men remove their boots during a rest stop so I could inspect their feet for condition. Of course, that would mostly go by the wayside in combat situations. I seriously doubt many Russian NCOs have any interest in trying to take care of the men though.

Even with the moisture barrier inside the socks? Extreme mountaineers consistently use moisture barriers. Without it, their socks and then feet would freeze. 

26 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

I live about 10-15 miles from the Atlantic in coastal New England (just north of Boston), and the ocean definitely keeps us warmer, in general, than areas just 50 miles farther west. The U.S./Canadian Great Lakes, are a much different climate. The prevailing winds in North America are from the west. That means they blow across the lakes, chilling the lakes and loading up with moisture that gets dumped as “lake effect” snow. We don’t get that effect on the coast unless the winds are from the north/north-east.

my last Marine Reserve unit in western Massachusetts was part of the 4th Marine Brigade Rapid Deployment Force. Our mission was defense of northern Norway, so we spent 10 to 11 drill weekends training in the mountains no matter what the weather was like. That is how you train for cold weather operations.

For sure, the ocean will retain warmth. Thats why when you go to the ocean in July, the water is still freezing. Well how can that be? 

I did reference winds, it would be very important to know. 

On 10/4/2022 at 5:23 PM, Beleg85 said:

Hey guys! Finally after 3 weeks offline (covid) I have an occassion to come back to this glorious thread...and I instantly find several pages of people talking about their favourite winter socks and shoes. What the hell?😉

A lot of things in this war changed in those 3 weeks, more than in last several months actually...

1.Ukrainians are seriously kicking Russians assess - as predicted in this forum.

2.Putin's mobilization is going as predicted as well, i.e. resembling slow, painful and pathetic road of Tsarist fleet of Rozdhestvensky to Japan, expecting probably similar fate- of long farce ending in short drama.

3. I see Russians Nats still didn't rebell but need tampons to dry their tears every day...We are at the stage Russians apparently even lacks vatnik clothes for winter, which sounds like satire.

Things seem to be very promising...did I miss something? 😎

Oh, btw interesting video:

Whatever their sins might be, the crew of that second crew, they have balls, and didn’t leave their mates behind. I have to respect that.

5 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Even with the moisture barrier inside the socks? Extreme mountaineers consistently use moisture barriers. Without it, their socks and then feet would freeze. 

Yes, But that is in extremely cold, extremely dry environments, bone dry snow, and usually a plastic outer boot designed to work with crampons. A muddy trench  with three inches of standing water is a very different. It is actually a worse environment for water infiltration. I am not saying the moisture barrier wouldn't help, but you will still need to rotate and dry socks and boot liners. Trench foot is a BAD thing. I fully expect the Russians to demonstrate that before spring. 

14 minutes ago, dan/california said:

Yes, But that is in extremely cold, extremely dry environments, bone dry snow, and usually a plastic outer boot designed to work with crampons. A muddy trench  with three inches of standing water is a very different. It is actually a worse environment for water infiltration. I am not saying the moisture barrier wouldn't help, but you will still need to rotate and dry socks and boot liners. Trench foot is a BAD thing. I fully expect the Russians to demonstrate that before spring. 

good lord enough of the socks and boots already.  There should be a thread limit of 6 responses on any grognard discussions.

2 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

This former infantry NCO agrees.

49 minutes ago, sburke said:

good lord enough of the socks and boots already.  There should be a thread limit of 6 responses on any grognard discussions.

In our defense this might be the most important topic of the next four months. Because if Ukraine has functional gear and the logistics to KEEP it functional, and the Russians are losing even three to five percent of their force to weather/exposure casualties a week this war won't last till spring. And "We will nuke you if you send the Ukrainians any more socks" is the least convincing statement ever.

1 minute ago, dan/california said:

In our defense this might be the most important topic of the next four months. Because if Ukraine has functional gear and the logistics to KEEP it functional, and the Russians are losing even three to five percent of their force to weather/exposure casualties a week this war won't last till spring. And "We will nuke you if you send the Ukrainians any more socks" is the least convincing statement ever.

Not to mention the importance of bloody socks in Russian literature and übermensch culture.

I have learnt more about boots/socks in cold weather than I thought possible - but great tips when I venture out for coffee in -50C weather again.  

What could be interesting is if Russia does pick up NATO gear in Afghanistan. CMBS would need to add the Humvee in Russian colours.

I have read a lot of western kit was left in Afghanistan.  Is there really anything of value that the Russians could use? body armour? boots? bridging equipment? This could be the first war where both combatants started with Soviet gear and ended up both fighting with NATO gear.

25 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Haha, the level of grog chat of the most esoteric topics is great and funnily enough this came up on one of the main UKR twitter accounts today  :D

Many are unjustified in launching at this. Indeed old fashioned but very effective. If I were to become hermit I would choose foot wraps over any socks.