How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Kharkiv axis.

Despite news from there tell about some sort of tactical clashes, indeed this potentially can be enough dangerous direction soon, by the opinion of UKR military expert Konstantin Mashovets, on the basis of whose articles I write theese reviews. 

After sudden offensive of UKR troops on N and NE of Kharkiv, which took by surprise LPR conscripts, when in some places UKR troops came on the state border line and became to threaten to Vovchansk, Russian command with some delay reacted on this situation and counter attacked, pushing our forces back from the border in Ternova area and recapturing villages Starytsia, Izbytske, Rubizhne, Zamulivka. Further Russian efforts to come to the Shestakove to cut the road Kharkiv - Staryi Saltiv were unsuccessfull as well as their advance attempts north from Kharkiv, so in last week we can see only tactical figting and artilelry strikes like on relatively stable section of front. 

But today happened alarm thing, which can be both just a probe and the sign of future big activization on the Kharkiv axis, including even new attempt of assault of this city. Today Russian troops in first time since the winter tried to atatck from Kozacha Lopan' (captured UKR border town) to the west in Zolochiv direction. According to FIRMS there were tracks of intesive fire between Sosnivka village and Kozacha Lopan' - Zolochiv road. According to our General Staff report enemy attack was repelled, but who knows what will happen next and whether the Russians will want to synchronize own offensive on Sloviansk with offensive on Kharkiv. 

So, what Russians have on this direction? From Kozacha Lopan' to Oskil river they have at least 8 BTGs from:

- 200th MRB (probably two BTG) of 14th Army Corps of Northern Fleet

- 18th MRD (also tank BTG of this division involved SE from Kharkiv ) and 244th artillery brigade of 11th Army Corps of Baltic Fleet

- 138th MRB, 25th MRB of 6th CAA of Western military district  

- 27th MRB (has a compnay of T-90M) of 1st GTA of Western military district

+ also at least two battalions of LPR conscripts. 

In previous days also volunteer motor-rifle battalion from Northern Fleet sailors was formed as a part of 200th MRB and sent to Ukriane - and I suppose to Kharkiv.

Today Russians moved here one more exotic unit - 80th MRB (arctic) in full composition also of 14th Army Corps of Nothern Fleet. This is "light" brigade, having only two motor-rifle battalions on MT-LBVMK, and articulated tracking carriers DT-10 and DT-30. Motor rifle battalions have only 82 mm mortars, also the brigade has only one artilelry unit - battalion of 2S1 SP-howitzers. 80th brigade deployed behind of units of 138th MRBm which fight on the line Ternova - Verkniy Saltiv

But most bad omen is lurking beyond the border. South west from Belgorod Russians deployed 144th guard motor rifle divisiosn of 20th CAA, Western military district, which completed restoration of combat capabilities after losses in the spring battles. Some regiments of this division have fully deployed third battalions. This is 144th, 254th, 488th MRR, 59th tank regiment, 856th SP-artillery regiment. This grouping is almost comparable by own strenghth with Popasna group and there are some doubts that this fist deployed only for protection of Belgorod from "UKR nazi invasion"

Без-назви-1.jpg

Edited by Haiduk

46 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

You registered to troll?  That's not very nice.

Just so you know, I don't program anything and therefore my being here or not doesn't have any impact on game development.  Sure, I do a lot of other things, though sleep isn't one of them.

Steve

I will vouch for Miles as having a positive impact on the CM community as a whole.

That's not to say I necessarily endorse any specific positions or opinions, but he's firmly not a troll.

Anyone have a unit ID?

07A3D0A8-A228-4B12-BB79-60DD52BD7777.thumb.jpeg.082c81e9d48c28cf644504138b474a23.jpeg

Found another loss pictured from same unit (even same platoon, I think), but it is on Tumblr or something so hard to figure out what original source is:

C056BBDC-F82D-44D5-824E-58B7C1C09A12.thumb.jpeg.91f7ae967088d2e10392f6e98b078929.jpeg

Found it with reverse image search here:

https://censor.net/ua/photo_news/3345320/biyitsi_57yi_ombr_znyschyly_bmp2_rashystiv_na_luganskomu_napryamku_foto

From 57th Motorized Brigade.

Edited by akd

1 minute ago, akd said:

Anyone have a unit ID?

07A3D0A8-A228-4B12-BB79-60DD52BD7777.thumb.jpeg.082c81e9d48c28cf644504138b474a23.jpeg

Found another loss pictured from same unit (even same platoon, I think), but it is on Tumblr or something so hard to figure out what original source is:

C056BBDC-F82D-44D5-824E-58B7C1C09A12.thumb.jpeg.91f7ae967088d2e10392f6e98b078929.jpeg

If Luhansk oblast and "4" this is 4th LPR motor-rifle brigade. They posted many drone view videos with own logo 4 on Z background.

10 minutes ago, dan/california said:

If this map is correct the AFU can range downtown Kherson with 777s and some of the longer ranged rounds.

It's very back and forth since April I think, at some point AFU seems to be just about to reach the city itself, then Russians bring reinforcements and push back, and so on. My guess is that it is a big trap and at some point bridges will be dropped and Russians cut off Without the bridges there's no way for them to support or even to withdraw the equipment. AFU is just baiting them and waiting for the right moment.

36 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

If Luhansk oblast and "4" this is 4th LPR motor-rifle brigade. They posted many drone view videos with own logo 4 on Z background.

I think so.  The other loss filmed by 57th Motorized Brigade was said to be from Voronove and Boriskve area SE of Severodonetsk at end of May.

4th Guards Tank Division seems to use “4” over a pair of oak leaves.

Edited by akd

8 hours ago, Beleg85 said:

Interesting is that this girl seem to be serve as common infantry sergeant on frontlines, not medic/staff officer as many women in uniforms do. It's curious how common it is in Ukrainian army.

@Vanir Ausf B

There have been many posts about this over the years by @Haiduk, who could give concrete figures; AFAIK, it's quite common.

And, as you can tell from the (family) names of soldiers, this is represented for the Ukrainian side in CMBS as well. :)

8 minutes ago, Huba said:

It's very back and forth since April I think, at some point AFU seems to be just about to reach the city itself, then Russians bring reinforcements and push back, and so on. My guess is that it is a big trap and at some point bridges will be dropped and Russians cut off Without the bridges there's no way for them to support or even to withdraw the equipment. AFU is just baiting them and waiting for the right moment.

The Nova Kakhovka “bridge” can’t be dropped as it is a dam.

Just now, akd said:

The Nova Kakhovka “bridge” can’t be dropped as it is a dam.

Take a stroll on it in Google Steet View :) Road bridge is built next to the main dam structure. Railway tracks go on top, but on a superstructure of sorts, that should be susceptible to damage without risk to the main structure.

https://earth.google.com/web/@46.77717365,33.37031604,18.30456848a,0d,60y,8.02263025h,83.41342832t,0r/data=IhoKFjZsRUxCVnBEME9FMW9KY2RTQVJxS3cQAg

ZTjLWAd.png

2 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

I think that's unfair. Many of us are just people who want to give you money for content. 1000+ page abominations like this thread don't do anything for me.

abominations?  A community of gamers that are focused on war history and in this particular Black Sea thread - modern combat with Russia discussing an ongoing war by Russia that is challenging much of what we thought about modern combat is an abomination?  Forgive me if I look confused.

13 minutes ago, sburke said:

abominations?  A community of gamers that are focused on war history and in this particular Black Sea thread - modern combat with Russia discussing an ongoing war by Russia that is challenging much of what we thought about modern combat is an abomination?  Forgive me if I look confused.

Yes, quite frankly it is an abomination and quite ghoulish, and what's worse is that conversation about CM games has almost ceased on this forum.

Regarding lessons from this war - the only lessons have been how not to invade a country, and that armoured forces still need infantry to provide security.

Edited by Grey_Fox

44 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Regarding lessons from this war - the only lessons have been how not to invade a country, and that armoured forces still need infantry to provide security.

That is all you've learned?  really?  dang and I thought I was a bad student.

40 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Yes, quite frankly it is an abomination and quite ghoulish, and what's worse is that conversation about CM games has almost ceased on this forum.

I would argue that there are a lot more lessons than that - this war is the first major peer-on-peer war of the 21st century and everyone in professional circles is watching it closely as to what it might mean to our assumptions.  We have gone at length to discuss and analyze possible impacts of this war based on what we are seeing on the ground.  We have pulled in expertise from many corners and view points, some directly in-theatre.

Beyond that, this thread attempts to cut through the massive amounts of mis/dis information and make facts based assessments as they relate to the war, again very often pulling from open source information, which we try and filter through.  As to ghoulish, well I think we try and avoid the worst of it, but a lot of the video streams of combat tell more than simply stuff blowing up and are a necessary evil at times.

In the end if this is not your cup of tea - and I get the fatigue that can come from this thread -  there is an entire forum to go have other discussions; I spin by CMCW to keep up with stuff.  As to "conversation about CM", well a lot here will inform the next CMs, and for many a wargame is not the focus right now as the world has once again become a pretty scary place.

15 minutes ago, sburke said:

That is all you've learned?  really?  dang and I thought I was a bad student.

Sorry, I don't have the brainpower to come up with gems like solo armoured vehicles operating without infantry support or any support in general dying to ATGMs means that tanks are obsolete. Another I interacted with was arguing that because tanks are not wunderwaffe which can defeat all threats all the time they are obsolete.

So no I don't think a whole lot of many of what can only laughingly be referred to as "contributions" in this thread.

Edited by Grey_Fox

12 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Sorry, I don't have the brainpower to come up with gems like solo armoured vehicles operating without infantry support or any support in general dying to ATGMs means that tanks are obsolete. Another I interacted with was arguing that because tanks are not wunderwaffe which can defeat all threats all the time they are obsolete.

Well, here's the thing.  I am the primary designer of Combat Mission.  Features, details, etc. that ensure that Combat Mission is as accurate a representation of warfare as possible.  I have a massive list of things that I've gleaned from this war, in part through this thread, to make CM better at what it does.  Maybe I'm finding more value in this discussion than you because I know better what to look for?  This is, after all, my day job.

12 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

So no I don't think a whole lot of many of what can only laughingly be referred to as "contributions" in this thread.

True of any thread on this Forum since the beginning of time.  And your point is?

Steve

3 hours ago, ManyMilesAway said:

Not at all, just merely being level with you to explain my frustration at the apparent lack of progress. 

Yes, but me participating in this thread does not interfere with development progress.  So you're previous posts are off the mark.

3 hours ago, ManyMilesAway said:

And all we see from the official face of battlefront is this thread breaking 1000+ pages.  I am fully aware you don't code Steve.  But it would be nice if we got regular updates on the features we were promised.  I am all for being patient but there needs to be signs of progress or people begin to rapidly lose interest or get frustrated myself among them.

Understandable.  I've been thinking it's past time to update you guys on where things are at, so I do consider this a nudge to get that out there.  Very soon.

Steve

1 hour ago, Harmon Rabb said:

Same usual nonsense from Putin. The only thing interesting here is I think this is the first time he used the "w word", instead of "special military operation".

Apart from him blabbering the usual nonsense, he looks quite puffy in the face. Not healthy that´s for sure.

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Apparently different countries guns have different charging requirements, different fuse requirements, different maintenance requirements. This is hurting the UA since they have battery by battery different fuse, charge, training and maintenance requirements. Ouch.

Yeah, that's apparently a problem for the Soviet systems as well.  There was a discussion about that a bunch of pages ago as complicating both Ukrainian and Russian ammo management.

It seems the "standard" isn't as standard as it purports to be.  Kinda like Bluetooth.  Just got a set of headphones for use with a stereo system.  Headphones won't synch.  Contacted tech support and they said "they aren't designed to work with home stereo systems".  Er, say what now?

Steve