Berlin CMRT Map

5 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Reminds me I did do some experimental burnt trees, I can send them over to you if you'd like to try them out? They weren't finished but might just work anyway.

Yes please bud....ive done the stumps... but trees would be awesome

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

It would have been 1982, either 14/15th July. I saw them at The Fair Deal in Brixton a few nights before. God, I still had enough hair to "Spike" back then. Drowns in wave of nostalgia.

Ha ha great days bud...

9 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I still had enough hair to "Spike"

I was perhaps the only one in the City Hall at that gig with hair down my back.  Not a hint of anyone being bothered, which was great.  The same could not be said out on the streets most of the time...

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

The same could not be said out on the streets most of the time...

Ah, but were you combining your long hair with wearing a red and white striped shirt? I've heard it could be a tad dangerous in Geordieland.

Meanwhile, getting back to Berlin. I see that Viktoria lost 0-1 at home to Babelsberg today, the Princess will be disappointed (that's one for our younger readers).

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 2:09 AM, Lucky_Strike said:

I'll see what I can dig out for you ...

Rummaged around in my previous experiments box and found the burnt tree - it's not really finished and would really need some other burnt textures to go with it for best effect. I made a quick and dirty crater mod that gives a nice burnt hole in the ground, works quite well with a large crater but ALL the other craters will be burnt as well. In the long run it may be better to have a flavour object that represents some burnt stuff. Anyway it does make me wonder about a new landscape mod ... Total Destruction®©™ - War is Hell®©™ - type of thing, lots of burnt terrain textures, destroyed vehicles and smashed buildings ... here's a few pics of what I've mashed together ...

SZHjetl.jpg

Small tree type - kinda works, texture a bit smeared. Would be nice with some of @JM Stuff's burnt wrecks...

jpG9aYQ.jpg

Tall tree - works well for this one, textures can be renamed for any of the tree models - just a case of experimenting ...

p3lWeSf.jpg

Large tree type - mmm that's better, big craters as well ...

8PTg3yo.jpg

It burns us ...

More work needed but it's getting there. 

These are all set for Spring with the spring mod tag so they show up in Berlin 1945, again more tweaking could have them show up for any time of year other than snowy winter.

That's as much as I can manage for now folks - not long till I'm fixed and back to it I hope ...

6 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Rummaged around in my previous experiments box and found the burnt tree - it's not really finished and would really need some other burnt textures to go with it for best effect. I made a quick and dirty crater mod that gives a nice burnt hole in the ground, works quite well with a large crater but ALL the other craters will be burnt as well. In the long run it may be better to have a flavour object that represents some burnt stuff. Anyway it does make me wonder about a new landscape mod ... Total Destruction®©™ - War is Hell®©™ - type of thing, lots of burnt terrain textures, destroyed vehicles and smashed buildings ... here's a few pics of what I've mashed together ...

SZHjetl.jpg

Small tree type - kinda works, texture a bit smeared. Would be nice with some of @JM Stuff's burnt wrecks...

jpG9aYQ.jpg

Tall tree - works well for this one, textures can be renamed for any of the tree models - just a case of experimenting ...

p3lWeSf.jpg

Large tree type - mmm that's better, big craters as well ...

8PTg3yo.jpg

It burns us ...

More work needed but it's getting there. 

These are all set for Spring with the spring mod tag so they show up in Berlin 1945, again more tweaking could have them show up for any time of year other than snowy winter.

That's as much as I can manage for now folks - not long till I'm fixed and back to it I hope ...

Beautiful and on the limit of the perfection like always Mark, and this is only a warm up, like you said, cannot waiting to see the final version,  I keep an eye on you boy !

I have always a problem to apply textures, specialy in blender, is true that some can be added to wrecks this give a good aspect so, everybody's is free to make a try.
The details make always the difference.

JM

21 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Beautiful and on the limit of the perfection like always Mark, and this is only a warm up, like you said, cannot waiting to see the final version,  I keep an eye on you boy !

Hehe! Thanks JM, I'll grab some of your wrecks and drop the trees into a Berlin setting for better atmosphere in the next screen grabs.

5 hours ago, Artkin said:

Yeah I'm really digging this. Do your trees have white ash on them? I feel like that would be seen more than ash in the dirt, unless you plan on placing it under wrecks only

Thanks. No ash on the trees ... yet. The texture for the trees and the hole in the ground were just some quick experiments I whipped up last year. They need a bit of finesse. And as you spotted the burnt patch did actually go under a wrecked vehicle, originally a quick mod made in a discussion about dirt roads ...

W62gpXi.jpg
Never really resolved how to make it more flexible, ie something we could place anywhere whether it be a road, a field or a city street ... the way to go is probably make it as a flavor object, but I've not yet been able to get back to it on account of waiting for a cataract operation (v.soon now).

The trees are also likely to manifest as flavor objects as well. I made a quick attempt and it was actually quite successful. The texture will be reworked and one or two will probably feature ash, a burnt pine would also be good.

Trouble is once I start to look at this I can see we then need a burnt bush or two, some burnt brush, grass, weeds ... endless. We'll see...

Edited by Lucky_Strike

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Hehe! Thanks JM, I'll grab some of your wrecks and drop the trees into a Berlin setting for better atmosphere in the next screen grabs.

Thanks. No ash on the trees ... yet. The texture for the trees and the hole in the ground were just some quick experiments I whipped up last year. They need a bit of finesse. And as you spotted the burnt patch did actually go under a wrecked vehicle, originally a quick mod made in a discussion about dirt roads ...

W62gpXi.jpg
Never really resolved how to make it more flexible, ie something we could place anywhere whether it be a road, a field or a city street ... the way to go is probably make it as a flavor object, but I've not yet been able to get back to it on account of waiting for a cataract operation (v.soon now).

The trees are also likely to manifest as flavor objects as well. I made a quick attempt and it was actually quite successful. The texture will be reworked and one or two will probably feature ash, a burnt pine would also be good.

Trouble is once I start to look at this I can see we then need a burnt bush or two, some burnt brush, grass, weeds ... endless. We'll see...

Awesome bud, lovin it, go for it, burn everything...lol

3 hours ago, NPye said:

He boy I would like to see the red cross amb in the game, don't forget that the models are not official and I have to make more modifications, it was only to help tou to make yours diorama... are you working on a news maps ?

JM

12 hours ago, NPye said:

Well a bit more faffing around, trying to remember how to do stuff in Blender - it's been a year since it's last outing!

I made a quick and dirty flavor object of a burnt patch using the same texture as the burnt crater. It doesn't scale too well and I've discovered that flavor objects can only have one-bit alpha masks - very annoying since it means edges won't nicely blend - more economies in favour of circa 2010 CPUs and GPUs I guess, sigh ... I suspect there's a way around it but it may involve very complex masking, otherwise it's back to plan A which would be making a ground texture - maybe something like ground rocky red.bmp could be used; then adding flavor objects in the form of burnt debris to create a bit of 3D-ism. Anyway that's for another instalment, for now here's the Halbe pocket aftermath - and yes I know they should be pine trees, I just haven't made any yet ... 😉

u1xbZW6.jpg

Thanks for the wrecks @JM Stuff 

0Gvfk2w.jpg

Odd shadows - burnt tree still shows full foliage shadow despite being a flavor object with no foliage! - some weird coding going on here ...

Gwh9XaY.jpg

BURN IT ALL!!!!!

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Well a bit more faffing around, trying to remember how to do stuff in Blender - it's been a year since it's last outing!

I made a quick and dirty flavor object of a burnt patch using the same texture as the burnt crater. It doesn't scale too well and I've discovered that flavor objects can only have one-bit alpha masks - very annoying since it means edges won't nicely blend - more economies in favour of circa 2010 CPUs and GPUs I guess, sigh ... I suspect there's a way around it but it may involve very complex masking, otherwise it's back to plan A which would be making a ground texture - maybe something like ground rocky red.bmp could be used; then adding flavor objects in the form of burnt debris to create a bit of 3D-ism. Anyway that's for another instalment, for now here's the Halbe pocket aftermath - and yes I know they should be pine trees, I just haven't made any yet ... 😉

u1xbZW6.jpg

Thanks for the wrecks @JM Stuff 

0Gvfk2w.jpg

Odd shadows - burnt tree still shows full foliage shadow despite being a flavor object with no foliage! - some weird coding going on here ...

Gwh9XaY.jpg

BURN IT ALL!!!!!

There are "talking" picture for me, more of this.

Propose you to make wrecks models and you the textures... !

We will than say Thanks for the wrecks @JM Stuff and @Lucky_Strike, just an idea hehehe ! 

This is direcdtly another Combat Mission, hope that BFC is on the forum. 

No but really with this we can created the famous "Falaise street wrecks" in Normandy, battle of Kursk (when it come out,) or everys battlefield disaster. 

JM 

33 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

There are "talking" picture for me, more of this.

Propose you to make wrecks models and you the textures... !

We will than say Thanks for the wrecks @JM Stuff and @Lucky_Strike, just an idea hehehe ! 

This is direcdtly another Combat Mission, hope that BFC is on the forum. 

No but really with this we can created the famous "Falaise street wrecks" in Normandy, battle of Kursk (when it come out,) or everys battlefield disaster. 

JM 

Hehe, one thing at a time my friend!

Yes this should all be translatable to BN and FB et al. I just did a quick ground texture which, though needing work, does a fair job. It's uses the ground dirt ploughed ns.bmp and scales quite well if used sparingly and with lots of other textures around. Still using the burnt crater and a new burnt flavor object of some branches ...

BURN BABY, BURN!!!!

uULR0Fh.jpg

Enough for today as it gives me a rotten headache, but nice to get something new  started ...

Edited by Lucky_Strike

2 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Wow CM could benefit so much by increasing the flavor object library size 10 times or so

There are ways and means to get quite a lot more objects, the biggest problem is making them and getting them to work. There's quite a lot of empty 'slots' in the Flavor Objects palettes in the Editor, not sure if there's a limit to the total number of different objects the game engine can handle. @RockinHarry (you out there sir?) did some experiments with the Flavor Object palette and figured out that by reducing the size of the selection button we could get even more objects; I've yet to try this out but it does present the possibility of even more objects.

The modelling side is quite taxing, can be very hit and miss, but there are some great mods already made. I hope that when BN hits Steam we will get a new injection of modders and enthusiasm, especially wrt the 3D side.

Anyway, I'll get this one wrapped up as soon as I can, as a version 1 for Mr Pye's Berlin mod pack, then we'll try to get something out that will work for all the games.

4 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Anyway, I'll get this one wrapped up as soon as I can, as a version 1 for Mr Pye's Berlin mod pack, then we'll try to get something out that will work for all the games.

That will be awesome mate, loving hows it's evolving. Cheers

8 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

There are ways and means to get quite a lot more objects, the biggest problem is making them and getting them to work. There's quite a lot of empty 'slots' in the Flavor Objects palettes in the Editor, not sure if there's a limit to the total number of different objects the game engine can handle. @RockinHarry (you out there sir?) did some experiments with the Flavor Object palette and figured out that by reducing the size of the selection button we could get even more objects; I've yet to try this out but it does present the possibility of even more objects.

The modelling side is quite taxing, can be very hit and miss, but there are some great mods already made. I hope that when BN hits Steam we will get a new injection of modders and enthusiasm, especially wrt the 3D side.

Hi,

I can only say that everys flavours objects have 2 3 4 5  slots used, depending from BFC need in the game, but a maximum of 9 slots for everys flavour object can be created for use, most of the time we have to created them untill a limit of 9.

But like I read above I have to check if I can added more and this will be very useful...

Another's things is sometimes by differents modules bn fb sf rt... some have flavours object in game folder, but not in the editor, so we cannot use them : for exemple the case of "pallets" that are is present in folder game but not in the  editor...

I know that because I was using the flavour object "pallet" in my wrecks work, and when I put in bn this one don't appear in editor picture, and I have to choose another one.

(Is also understanding because they were not using pallet in the ww2) so is logical, but we have to know.

So If you are working with flavour objects pay attention that this one appear also in the editor.

I don't know if I was understanding enough...

JM

Edited by JM Stuff