Berlin CMRT Map

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

This is also very true of much of the foliage - trees, bushes and bocage - they all have hard-coded values that can't be affected by the visuals. I tried making a very wide tree to see what effect it had on cover and concealment as well as LOS and movement, the answer was none of course. If we go ahead with a building as flavour objects it will really just be eye candy.

From what I remember Steve said that there´s at least some cover value applied to certain flavor objects and hardcoded to their type. Thus my suggestion to compose buildings like Brandenburg gate of single flavor type objects then beeing arranged in 3D map editor. When building them in Blender it then should be taken into account that they got to snap on certain nodes in the 8x8m ground tile grid in order to have all Brandenburg gate components fit together. While it´s likely quite an effort I think we then could have bits more like just eye candy, even if there´s no appropriate cover from this composed structure. At least not what you´d expect from such a big structure and material. Path finding for vehicles and infantry likely also works in more realistic ways since every component snaps to and occupies a single 8x8m node, which either could be sort of an obstacle (slow down movement) or entirely Nogo. Also in case of damage/destruction (i.e big HE hitting the base objects node), not all of the big composited structure vanishes at once, but just its single component (one the pillars i.e). So that´s just the idea and not tried out yet I believe. Unfortunately my Blender skills is noob level as otherwise I´d tried myself already. 

10 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Certainly would, but it is possible to work in newer versions of Blender then append the objects in a file using the older version that we're limited to.

True I never think about, is also because the procedure is more long and when you forget something you cannot export yours meshes, in mdr, also that I take the habit to working quick with the old ver.

Which blender version you would suggest?

I have added the 2.83 and 2.92 only to test it, I was working on a model and save as blend in the new vers, but when I try to use the append command for different things meshes materials...and all the long list, nothing happend in the old ver and nothing appear so what I am doing wrong ?

I think the last vers. is the 3.0, using a fresh version will be better of course.
Are you already working with the last one for your mdr nature?

JM

6 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Thus my suggestion to compose buildings like Brandenburg gate of single flavor type objects then beeing arranged in 3D map editor. When building them in Blender it then should be taken into account that they got to snap on certain nodes in the 8x8m ground tile grid in order to have all Brandenburg gate components fit together. While it´s likely quite an effort I think we then could have bits more like just eye candy, even if there´s no appropriate cover from this composed structure. At least not what you´d expect from such a big structure and material. Path finding for vehicles and infantry likely also works in more realistic ways since every component snaps to and occupies a single 8x8m node, which either could be sort of an obstacle (slow down movement) or entirely Nogo. Also in case of damage/destruction (i.e big HE hitting the base objects node), not all of the big composited structure vanishes at once, but just its single component (one the pillars i.e). So that´s just the idea and not tried out yet I believe. Unfortunately my Blender skills is noob level as otherwise I´d tried myself already. 

And you Harry, Which blender version you would suggest like I said to @Lucky_Strike I have  install the vers 2.83 2.92 and nothing happend when I use the append command to the old vers 2.79b ?

I propose that you take the BG building in your hand you have more knowledge in this way and were already working with buildings at differents level this is for me a headache My BG would be a simple candy eyes without the possibilies and properties that have a building, and more if I want to starting now with a new blender version, learning again new shortcuts and change my behaviour in a new blender world, also that I discover for short "the nodes", so I have  bread enough for Winter.

So I would suggest and ask you , that you build it in the way that you want and in this way, integrate  the properties, that me I cannot for the time create.

I don't know if you have a model if not I will let you a link.

JM

ABsqplsdVVc8TOPrVKzPTVvfm0rkyqxHCy4h27PPBU70YgE9R7Ohsh1g=s40-p
RépondreTransférer

1 hour ago, JM Stuff said:

And you Harry, Which blender version you would suggest like I said to @Lucky_Strike I have  install the vers 2.83 2.92 and nothing happend when I use the append command to the old vers 2.79b ?

I propose that you take the BG building in your hand you have more knowledge in this way and were already working with buildings at differents level this is for me a headache My BG would be a simple candy eyes without the possibilies and properties that have a building, and more if I want to starting now with a new blender version, learning again new shortcuts and change my behaviour in a new blender world, also that I discover for short "the nodes", so I have  bread enough for Winter.

So I would suggest and ask you , that you build it in the way that you want and in this way, integrate  the properties, that me I cannot for the time create.

I don't know if you have a model if not I will let you a link.

JM

Hey JM! Wished I could do as you suggest but I fear I´m among the least capable folks working with Blender here. 😐 I´d just managed getting the Blender scripts to be used in old 2.79, importing various CM *.mdr files and then looking at various the META data entries. Made my mind about them (comparing some data with actual mesh geometry in XYZ space) and bits of fiddled around, then by trial and error exporting them back to *.mdr and "tested" these minimally edited files in the game. Observed if something changed re game play (i.e mentioned invisible aperture sizes for pillboxes) and whether it coincides with what I believe is some the META data´s functionality. That was a very awkward and time consuming process and it didn´t take long before I gave up on it again unfortunately. 🙄

In Blender I did just some minimal actual geometry editing, like i.e making foxholes "taller" and then shifting its XYZ origin farther up, so this edited foxholes sink more into the ground again. Such rather simple things and then testing them in the game. At good last I decided to quit with all that as without knowing what all the META entries are good for, the "best" I could do with that is cause troubles to the game engine and in worst case make it CTD. Though the latter never happened.

As said I prefer functionality before plain eye candy. Also this is what I found while bits of playing around with some of Nigel´s Berlin buildings. For my own mission designing (which is higher priority than trying to become a skilled modder) these buildings are not of so much use to me since they require setting up building facades to be mostly unusable for infantry combat purposes. The Berlin mod is stunning as is and a big achievement, but my main focus is and always was mission design and map making. Mod making to me is rather a distraction and a necessity when I can´t find a premade mod and want certain things for my own mission design included. This all is also what made me try modding small things that you can still find at CMMODS and TFGM helping me design stuff like https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/cmbn-v4-mg-vp-you-enter-germany-introduction/

If I mangage to relearn some my past and partly forgotten skills then I´ve something on my do to list like:

1. Getting rid of the timber frame roofs for modular buildings. I complained about these several times, but got ignored. So got to mod change the s**t myself. In fact I´ve done already but these will be part of my own scenario/map designs only, then beeing uploaded to TFGM.

2. Updating/supplementing the animation file "mod" to CMRT usage (for now it just works 100% in CMBN and CMFB).

3. Ground terrain and maybe some objects looks to match better for wet weather and ground conditions.

4. More/different flavor objects that I like using for my mission design projects. That i.e can be functional dragon teeth supplementing or replacing the stock games AT obstacles.

5. Flavor objects to be used for making war torn forests to look more like in article here: (see all the many broken stuff on the ground) https://www.historynet.com/battle-of-hurtgen-forest-the-9th-infantry-division-suffered-in-the-heavily-armed-woods/

6. Many more, if I find my old notes file again. :P

So that´s just few that come to my mind right ATM. Re Brandenburg gate I´d suggest asking some our modders that are known to have published "working" building and flavor object type mods. I just can provide some "ideas", but very few skills when it comes to putting (my) theories into (game play) practice. So right ATM I just can help you with ideas and some basic things I got actual experience with. 😎

Edited by RockinHarry

18 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

From what I remember Steve said that there´s at least some cover value applied to certain flavor objects and hardcoded to their type. Thus my suggestion to compose buildings like Brandenburg gate of single flavor type objects then beeing arranged in 3D map editor. When building them in Blender it then should be taken into account that they got to snap on certain nodes in the 8x8m ground tile grid in order to have all Brandenburg gate components fit together. While it´s likely quite an effort I think we then could have bits more like just eye candy, even if there´s no appropriate cover from this composed structure. At least not what you´d expect from such a big structure and material. Path finding for vehicles and infantry likely also works in more realistic ways since every component snaps to and occupies a single 8x8m node, which either could be sort of an obstacle (slow down movement) or entirely Nogo. Also in case of damage/destruction (i.e big HE hitting the base objects node), not all of the big composited structure vanishes at once, but just its single component (one the pillars i.e). So that´s just the idea and not tried out yet I believe. Unfortunately my Blender skills is noob level as otherwise I´d tried myself already. 

This does sound like a possible approach, I'm pretty certain that some flavor objects provide cover as you say.

Do flavor objects suffer damage? I have images in my head of the Brandenburg Gate just suddenly vanishing when hit by some Russian 122mm shells, not even a pile of rubble! I'm gonna have to experiment to see what happens, try shooting up that ME109 wreck which I think is based on a crate object.

11 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

True I never think about, is also because the procedure is more long and when you forget something you cannot export yours meshes, in mdr, also that I take the habit to working quick with the old ver.

Which blender version you would suggest?

I have added the 2.83 and 2.92 only to test it, I was working on a model and save as blend in the new vers, but when I try to use the append command for different things meshes materials...and all the long list, nothing happend in the old ver and nothing appear so what I am doing wrong ?

I think the last vers. is the 3.0, using a fresh version will be better of course.
Are you already working with the last one for your mdr nature?

JM

Yes it's a bit of a faff for sure. I can't remember what versions I was using, it's been a while. Certainly 2.92. I think I tried 3 but it's so different that I could see that I would have to learn a whole new load of tools. I really only used it so that I could use some modern plug-ins that helped with tree creation.

If I get a chance when I'm fully fixed then I might try to do a tutorial, but it'll be a long time coming. 

10 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

In Blender I did just some minimal actual geometry editing, like i.e making foxholes "taller" and then shifting its XYZ origin farther up, so this edited foxholes sink more into the ground again. Such rather simple things and then testing them in the game. At good last I decided to quit with all that as without knowing what all the META entries are good for, the "best" I could do with that is cause troubles to the game engine and in worst case make it CTD. Though the latter never happened.

This is interesting. I always wanted foxholes that were sunk into the ground even by just a bit more. I tried to do something similar with trenches which did have an obvious effect to the point where the pixeltruppen would actually appear to climb up onto the trench parapets to see out and shoot at their enemies. I think the depth of the floor is dictated by the geometry of the pixeltruppen. There's some limitation to their models that is not just about what looks right to us. With the trench the eye level looked fine but they still wanted to get out and shoot. BUT I never thought of changing the XYZ origin I just lowered the trench floor. I might have to take another look at this ... add's it to the long, and getting longer, mental list of projects...

Very cool looking bunker and trenches ...

If I mangage to relearn some my past and partly forgotten skills then I´ve something on my do to list like:

All off this please ...🙏

Specifically ...

1. Getting rid of the timber frame roofs for modular buildings.

Yes please! Real bugbear!

functional dragon teeth

As in Westwall ... nice

Flavor objects to be used for making war torn forests

Started some work on this ... broken trees and flavour objects are on their way ...

8 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

This does sound like a possible approach, I'm pretty certain that some flavor objects provide cover as you say.

Do flavor objects suffer damage? I have images in my head of the Brandenburg Gate just suddenly vanishing when hit by some Russian 122mm shells, not even a pile of rubble! I'm gonna have to experiment to see what happens, try shooting up that ME109 wreck which I think is based on a crate object.

Mean that some FO can be destroy, depending that the choice of the modder ?

If I take a crate object to replace for exemple a car, but cannot be when I choose a fountain for exemple ?

I never thinking about this, but is interresting !

JM

8 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Started some work on this ... broken trees and flavour objects are on their way ...

I was also making some experiments with junks dirt and destroyed things on the street, like book papers broken furnitures...this take time, but is funny, I will try to find it and show it on pic.

What could be good is to make a "street" with broken tree and leave this is your domain Lucky !

and Harry will make holes and trenchs...  😄

Harry,  I dont understand "functional" dragon teeth ? 

JM 

This was only a test about Junks dont check to the textures I dont take time to include it ! 😁

Original junks from CM

PWsYP5I.png

My tests with a destroyed buildings some furnitures and piles of dirt 

MEhnxI0.png

its work and we can make a lot including wreck vehicles...

tIMZVVM.png

but also trying to include stairs in a CM building 

YFUslUn.png

Edited by JM Stuff

9 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Hard ot tell re cover ATM. Need to make a test file with single pixeltroopers taking cover behind various flavor types while raining some bullets on them. I´ll see if I find out anything conclusive.

Yep, flavor objects can be damaged then vanishing from the map. For some (large) HE does reliably if hitting near its placement node (within 8x8m grid). For others tracked vehicle movement will crush them, while same time slowing the vehicle down considerably. Just from my memory check out "fountain large" which is one the sturdier candidates. I intend making a table with all flavor types and their observable effects. Will take some time. Should help on deciding which flavor addon to put into which type for best effect. Also various flavor types offer an obstacle for AI movements and pathfinding. So with some particular flavor placements one can partly deny or channelize both a player untis TacAI and AIP´s movements. Did same elaborate tests with these 2-3 years ago but failed to make notes unfortunately.

Here´s link to my 1m gridded grass tile that helps seeing and understanding the ground mesh better. Also nice tool training on flavor object placement. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxbbgrc122rqzhc/ground grass.rar?dl=0

p.jpeg

Edited by RockinHarry

59 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Hard ot tell re cover ATM. Need to make a test file with single pixeltroopers taking cover behind various flavor types while raining some bullets on them. I´ll see if I find out anything conclusive.

Yep, flavor objects can be damaged then vanishing from the map. For some (large) HE does reliably if hitting near its placement node (within 8x8m grid). For others tracked vehicle movement will crush them, while same time slowing the vehicle down considerably. Just from my memory check out "fountain large" which is one the sturdier candidates. I intend making a table with all flavor types and their observable effects. Will take some time. Should help on deciding which flavor addon to put into which type for best effect. Also various flavor types offer an obstacle for AI movements and pathfinding. So with some particular flavor placements one can partly deny or channelize both a player untis TacAI and AIP´s movements. Did same elaborate tests with these 2-3 years ago but failed to make notes unfortunately.

Here´s link to my 1m gridded grass tile that helps seeing and understanding the ground mesh better. Also nice tool training on flavor object placement. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxbbgrc122rqzhc/ground grass.rar?dl=0

p.jpeg

Where I have to put this pic, in the editor ? (like yours 16 buttons) ! 

If I put in the terrain folder it will replace all grass ground !!

Edited by JM Stuff

9 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

This is interesting. I always wanted foxholes that were sunk into the ground even by just a bit more. I tried to do something similar with trenches which did have an obvious effect to the point where the pixeltruppen would actually appear to climb up onto the trench parapets to see out and shoot at their enemies. I think the depth of the floor is dictated by the geometry of the pixeltruppen. There's some limitation to their models that is not just about what looks right to us. With the trench the eye level looked fine but they still wanted to get out and shoot. BUT I never thought of changing the XYZ origin I just lowered the trench floor. I might have to take another look at this ... add's it to the long, and getting longer, mental list of projects...

IIRC pixeltroopers then where 50% below ground level as well. I got to see if I find all related files again to give more explicit info. It was just some "basic" tests and I didn´t follow it further when I figured not knowing what all the META data does it´s all not too usefull in game.

Re trenches, this is what my animation file mod (swap) is good for as well. I replaced all stand & shoot (anything) stances with their kneeling versions. So pixeltroopers never show full targets while beeing in a foxhole/trench or behind windows. While this removes any opportunities targeting an enemy unit only reachable in standing stance, it same time removes most the unnecessary carnage during infantry engagements. Same for actions like reloading firearms where they always take full cover with the mod.

Re involuntary getting out of trenches is an annoying problem. Every viable terrain contour qualifies for letting the TacAI believe it´s much better cover than the foxhole or trench. Craters do apply here as is terrain alterations that make the 8x8m nodes height differences look bumpy and such. Also of importance is the underlying 8x8 terrain node grid. It´s where all things CM snap or orient to. Test with the 1m gridded grass mod to get a better idea how it all interacts.

Very cool looking bunker and trenches ...

Thanks. It´s not all without problems though. The "buried" pillboxes revealed a bug where they become vulnerable to some indirect Arty (incl. mortars). While beeing reported it just got fixed in parts unfortunately. Also molding trenches and pillboxes into the landscape bits of defeats FOW. If a player uses any sort of birds eye view he can see the suspicious terrain alterations indicating there might be a trench or pillbox there. But with house rules (ground level view only) it´s far less of a problem. And the AIP is too dumb noticing any of this.

All off this please ...🙏

Specifically ...

Yes please! Real bugbear!

As in Westwall ... nice

Usually I do those things that are most usefull for a running mission design project. Otherwise no plans or schedules ATM. If you check "You enter germany" mod package you´ll see that it´s just small things added or changed to fit the mission and increase immersion. But we all could coordinate and cooperate maybe creating something bigger. 😎

So it´ll be something gorgeous. 😍 Also no need for me to follow my own meagre modding attempts on stuff like these any further. I had various hurtgen forest mission design prototypes in the works where I could make best use of this broken stuff. 😎 In example I changed low bocage foliage to pine needles and combined placed with some logs (flavor object) on the map. This then looked like a fallen pine tree, also providing likewise cover & concealment from low bocage attributes. All this broken stuff in hurtgen forest battles made this the green hell and almost impenetrable jungle. All what´s yet needed is trees with low hanging branches (and META data making it not just eye candy).

54 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Where I have to put this pic, in the editor ? (like yours 16 buttons) ! 

If I put in the terrain folder it will replace all grass ground !!

It´s just this grass type replacing same type (goes into data/z). You can rename file to different (grass) type or use a mod tag as well. Anyway it´s NOT a mod per se, but rather a "tool" to help understand ground mesh better and place things (flavor objects) accurately. If done you can remove the 1m gridded grass again or replace with something of your choice. 😎 I use a mod tag that I add or remove (import or clear in map editor mod tag section) as required.

Edit: The embedded pic is beeing renamed by dropbox but think should be the same like the one included in the RAR file download. I´d suggest downloading the RAR file and precede from there. I use 7zip for all file packing.

Edited by RockinHarry

2 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

I was also making some experiments with junks dirt and destroyed things on the street, like book papers broken furnitures...this take time, but is funny, I will try to find it and show it on pic.

What could be good is to make a "street" with broken tree and leave this is your domain Lucky !

and Harry will make holes and trenchs...  😄

Harry,  I dont understand "functional" dragon teeth ? 

JM 

This was only a test about Junks dont check to the textures I dont take time to include it ! 😁

Original junks from CM

PWsYP5I.png

My tests with a destroyed buildings some furnitures and piles of dirt 

MEhnxI0.png

its work and we can make a lot including wreck vehicles...

tIMZVVM.png

but also trying to include stairs in a CM building 

YFUslUn.png

Nice stuff JM! 😎 Looking forward to what you make of it!

"functional" dragon teeth either a direct replacement for the X beams or a flavor object (fountain large type maybe) placed individually. But that would be hell lots of work placing them individually then resembling the german dragon teeth. But they need to occupy single 1m nodes in order to beeing an obstacle and an underlying heavy rocks/rubble terrain tile is needed to block an action spot entirely (for vehicular movements). While heavy rocks/rubble tiles CAN be used, their looks is little convincing for this purpose. Their looks can be modded as well, but then you don´t have the required looks when you need heavy rocks/rubble tiles elsewhere on a map. So it´s a matter of sacrificing one terrain feature for another if one sets an according priority.

25 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Nice stuff JM! 😎 Looking forward to what you make of it!

"functional" dragon teeth either a direct replacement for the X beams or a flavor object (fountain large type maybe) placed individually. But that would be hell lots of work placing them individually then resembling the german dragon teeth. But they need to occupy single 1m nodes in order to beeing an obstacle and an underlying heavy rocks/rubble terrain tile is needed to block an action spot entirely (for vehicular movements). While heavy rocks/rubble tiles CAN be used, their looks is little convincing for this purpose. Their looks can be modded as well, but then you don´t have the required looks when you need heavy rocks/rubble tiles elsewhere on a map. So it´s a matter of sacrificing one terrain feature for another if one sets an according priority.

If you want, I can convert a big fountain in a dragon teeth  and you can make some test with it, but to be more realistic I have to make more as one to have differents sizes, but all is possible tell me only...

JM 

50 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Just realized we´re bits of spamming Nigel´s Berlin map thread with unrelated stuff. Start something new or remain here if @NPye has no concerns?

Yes so sorry about that, I think we have to open another treads. hola @NPye !  we leave soon this place hope you understand us ...😉

JM

17 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

If you want, I can convert a big fountain in a dragon teeth  and you can make some test with it, but to be more realistic I have to make more as one to have differents sizes, but all is possible tell me only...

JM 

Dragon teeth is not high priority since I´m working on different stuff ATM. But if you´ve the time I´d appreciate testing any of it off course! 😎 Dragon teeth is of roughly similar size as large fountain object. So in case you´re not doing anyway I´d suggest copying the "fountain large" META data into newly created and then to be exportet MDR file. Blank META might work as well but I´d prefer testing both versions then maybe seeing different effects during game play.

23 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

What do you mean with "blank meta" (a 3d model without textures) ?

IIRC if you create a new file in Blender (or grab from any place in the net) and then export to MDR, nothing gets filled into the META data section, thus left "blank" (empty or just a row of zeros). What I mean is importing original "large fountain", then copy/pasting its Meta data into your new file creation and then exported to *.mdr

So you get original properties (whatever these are all for) of original CM object combined with new files geometry and UV mapping data into same file. But could well be its rather irrelevant when file is placed back into CM (as "fountain large2.mdr" maybe) and the game engine just uses it´s hard coded properties (which are not in the MDR file). That´s that we should getting tested to make sure it´s not all just eye candy and otherwise has little to no effect IMO.

8 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

IIRC if you create a new file in Blender (or grab from any place in the net) and then export to MDR, nothing gets filled into the META data section, thus left "blank" (empty or just a row of zeros). What I mean is importing original "large fountain", then copy/pasting its Meta data into your new file creation and then exported to *.mdr

So you get original properties (whatever these are all for) of original CM object combined with new files geometry and UV mapping data into same file. But could well be its rather irrelevant when file is placed back into CM (as "fountain large2.mdr" maybe) and the game engine just uses it´s hard coded properties (which are not in the MDR file). That´s that we should getting tested to make sure it´s not all just eye candy and otherwise has little to no effect IMO.

...then copy/pasting its Meta data into your new file creation and then exported to *.mdr

When I download a 3d model on the net and replace it by an original CM flavour object in mdr format, this one dont take all properties automatiquely ? 

in any case me all the 3d models that I take, from the net, I always replace them with an existing model in CM, I dont see any other way to import it that the game will reconized it, or do I understand something wrong ?

Btw here´s my take on rubble and rubbled indi buildings concerning wet/moist weather conditions. The buildings crumbled walls as well is higher standing and the inside got more of a burnt out looks. It´s just a draft made from earlier works 2 years back. Something for you to tackle maybe @Lucky_Strike? 🙂

Btw your PS-Gimp file swap method works perfectly fine. Huge time saver! 😎

6r5i6Kq.jpg

Edit: and the Zip file containing rubbled indi building stuff (4 files): https://www.dropbox.com/s/87qkx3dqmbgopoy/RHZ Indi Building Damage.zip?dl=0

Edited by RockinHarry

47 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

...then copy/pasting its Meta data into your new file creation and then exported to *.mdr

When I download a 3d model on the net and replace it by an original CM flavour object in mdr format, this one dont take all properties automatiquely ? 

in any case me all the 3d models that I take, from the net, I always replace them with an existing model in CM, I dont see any other way to import it that the game will reconized it, or do I understand something wrong ?

That was just from my memory. But I understand what you mean. Haven´t opened old Blender and import scripts for very long time. But I think if you append new object to original MDR file, then delete original geometry and then Meta data could or should be preserved when exporting back to *.mdr Maybe your technique is even the only way to preserve required Meta data. Can´t even quite remember if copy/pasting Meta data between files in Blender is possible at all.

5 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

p.jpeg

ADDED Note: For the gridded grass to be loaded in CMRT + FR april 1945 it got to be named "ground grass [spring].bmp". Any earlier months and environmental conditions need to be tagged differently.

Edited by RockinHarry