Engine 5 Wishlist

9 hours ago, PEB14 said:

I have never seen any report of a tank being abandoned under enemy fire and then recrewed within the timeframe covered by a CM battle

Fair point , as I have indeed done this several times in CM in different titles.  Including this week in CMBN with an injured driver and a 'good order' loader jumping back on board a StuG after a couple of turns contemplating the universe and their roles in it.  The StuG now moves again on my orders, but I'm not sure it will do much more... don't tell my opponent @RMM.

Another example some time ago was a full Tiger crew which re-crewed after bailing as a result of a Sherman 76mm hit.  They were slow to get their mojo back, but as far as I can recall they became useful once again.  The Sherman had worse luck.

13 hours ago, PEB14 said:

I have never seen any report of a tank being abandoned

Because the intent is only to dismount, if dismount was an option any other unit could crew the tank. Sometimes you dismount (bail out) to recon over the ridge. Not all situations are modelled. The TC can't be split also crews can't crew other tanks even in the same formation. I tried to crew an elite crew of a tank which had a green crew. 

We have target and target light right now. For modern title , we need something as "target medium". Right now for the IFVs if issue target, then it will use ATGM (there is a trick to avoid this happen, but it is too complicate for a regular player to use ) target light, it will use the MG.  So I hope a 3rd button will make IFV prioritize its autocannon.

Can we separate the weapon recovery and first aid? Every German player should have experienced this. The squad that cover a vital crossroad lost the machine gunner Karl to a stray bullet. Karl is incapacitated. Now his comrades begin the first aid to Karl. In the next two minutes , since the MG firepower is gone the whole squad sit there helpless. And, as the first aid almost done, guess what, a spotting round landed nearby so the first aid stopped. That makes your blood boil and all you want to do is yelling at the screen "damn it! grab the MG42 and fire!". In this kind of frustration situation, I would rather to have the poor pixeltruppen Karl killed instantly. At least the MG42 can be recovered in less than 1 min.

And last.

Please improve the FOW by remove the detected enemy units' UI panel.

right now with as soon as you detect a riflemen, you will know if the contact is a HQ, a part of HMG team , an AT Gun position or a Javelin ATGM team. That is so unrealistic.  I miss the way how CMx1 handle the unidentified infantry contacts

Or, I also miss the CMx1's tank misidentification . 

Sound contact is also far better in CMx1.  In CM2 a sound contact gives you a precious position. 

8 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Because the intent is only to dismount, if dismount was an option any other unit could crew the tank. Sometimes you dismount (bail out) to recon over the ridge. Not all situations are modelled. The TC can't be split also crews can't crew other tanks even in the same formation. I tried to crew an elite crew of a tank which had a green crew. 

I agree and disagree at the same time…

Agreed: Sometimes you dismount (bail out) to recon over the ridge. That was regularly done in WW2, but in ALL cases I am aware of, only the tank commander dismounted to recon over the ridge or the street's corner. Which makes sense, by the way…

Disagreed: any other unit could crew the tank. You don't man a tank without at least basic training…

Edited by PEB14

14 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

You don't man a tank without at least basic training…

That is correct it would happen if dismount was an option, like we have with trucks and in modern warfare APCs. In SF2 you can dismount an M113 APC and crew it with a scouting team so that you keep the .50 Cal MG. It is something I do regularly. Unit is British.

Re ATGs: spiking the gun, abandoning, comparisons to AFVs, etc. is a bit of a silly argument. At the end of the day, fact is that ATGs were routinely "abandoned" by their crews with the intent of recrewing them later on, much more regularly than AFV crews would dismount to recon on foot. And the "spiked gun" argument hardly holds water since the TacAI abandons the ATG out of panic: it stands to reason that few crew would relish the thought of staying around to smash optics, remove the breechblock, etc.

9 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

right now with as soon as you detect a riflemen, you will know if the contact is a HQ, a part of HMG team , an AT Gun position or a Javelin ATGM team. That is so unrealistic.  I miss the way how CMx1 handle the unidentified infantry contacts

100%. Unless the heavy weapon itself has been spotted, or the crew has been spotted and the firing of their heavy weapon has been heard and fairly well narrowed down, the weapon itself shouldn't be spotted (same goes for HQ units, unless radios, epaulets, caps, etc. have been spotted). It's a bit weak playing on Iron difficulty and magically knowing that (though usually I don't spot heavy weapons until they've fired on me).

On 12/21/2023 at 4:59 PM, IanL said:

Again that's not what re-crewing simulates. It is quite common for a TC and or some crew to disembark and scout an area. That's what CM is simulating.

Well, not really… I've never seen any (WW2) report of a WHOLE crew disembarking to scout. That makes no sense to completely abandon a tank just to have a look at the corner…

Off-Map Smoke Being Available After HE/Cluster Expended

There are times when planning fire support I would want the off-map tubes (artillery/mortars) to expend all their HE/cluster munitions to soften up a target then place smoke in an area to provide cover for my attacking units.  As it stands now if your off-map assets expend all HE/cluster munitions smoke is not available as a final fire mission.  Could use on-map tubes to provide smoke but some scenarios have little to no on-map tubes.  Would be great to have smoke available after HE/cluster is expended.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time any there was any meaningful change/update to the game rules or fundamental features?

Not a battle pack or a module with some new units, but the kind of changes people have now been requesting for 37 pages in this thread. Which is far from the first feature request thread.

The last time I can remember new features were added were in CMFB (2016), when flamethrowers and mortar halftracks were added.

Both awkwardly and buggily implemented, but at least they were new capabilities.

There was also a patch around the same time that added some new features to the editor, such as a retreat mechanic and an area fire order for the AI. But that was still eight years ago.

Edited by Bulletpoint

On 12/22/2023 at 9:22 PM, PEB14 said:

Well, not really… I've never seen any (WW2) report of a WHOLE crew disembarking to scout. That makes no sense to completely abandon a tank just to have a look at the corner…

For this kind of scouting purposes it would be very useful if you could use command like Split Squad, but it would separate just one soldier from the rest. So that this one man could go look behind the corner, top of the hill etc.  If he would be killed by the enemy you would lose just one man, not many like now happens.

Edited by SlowMotion

31 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Jan 1, 2024 and no email from Steve on what is going one w BFC on anything, engine 5 or otherwise.  I am deeply saddened.

The 2023 new years bone got posted on januari 30 it seems...So there's still hope 🥳

7 minutes ago, JoMac said:

Come-On Guys, you know your still going to play CM till end days...Even if BF has no more updates, upgrades, new products, etc, etc 😉

I'm honestly not so sure anymore...Like i mentioned in another post...I never thought this would happen...but it has !

I have grown tired of CM 😒...

there are so many things that could be improved. Including many, many things  that could be improved quite easily and still we see...

NOTHING !

Imo BFC are currently living on OLD merits only. Their performance in recent years have not been stellar in any way and

their communications are all but non existant so their grade will be far below avarage.

A massive engine 5 upgrade or the annoncement of CM3 may very well spark some entusiasm for the game again for me...other than that...oohh well...

4 minutes ago, CarlXII said:

I'm honestly not so sure anymore...Like i mentioned in another post...I never thought this would happen...but it has !

I have grown tired of CM 😒...

there are so many things that could be improved. Including many, many things  that could be improved quite easily and still we see...

NOTHING !

Imo BFC are currently living on OLD merits only. Their performance in recent years have not been stellar in any way and

their communications are all but non existant so their grade will be far below avarage.

A massive engine 5 upgrade or the annoncement of CM3 may very well spark some entusiasm for the game again for me...other than that...oohh well...

I don't think such sentiments should be taken lightly. For those who are familiar, TotH garnered a lot of initial interest, but then the one developer of that refused to do anything more, and ... well, there's a lot of ex-TotH over here now!