Stalingrad Mod?

NPye

Boys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, the likelihood of BFC ever releasing a game based on Stalingrad rests on two things: first, the lack of variety from an urban setting and two, the lack of involvement by the US of A.

Having said that, I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm sure they will do it ! It will be a long wait however...

Stalingrad will most likely not be singled out for a specific module but rather be included in a bigger picture...

Something like COMMBAT MISSION Case Blue...maybe B)

This will include a lot more then urban fighting...

BFC depicting Stalingrad is like 2021-2022 probably. I prefer not to wait on BFC but to see what I can accomplish on my own. I am happy like minds exist! :D

The phase where you try to cross the street is probably doable now. To have 2 opposing forces in a building and have it play out well...? So much is abstratced for interior walls that it may be somewhat frustrating. Folkie and others modded cellars/basements but there are drawbacks. But oh well, it can maybe look good as it happens.

Boys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, the likelihood of BFC ever releasing a game based on Stalingrad rests on two things: first, the lack of variety from an urban setting and two, the lack of involvement by the US of A.

How is the lack of involvement by the U.S. a factor in making a Stalingrad game when Red Thunder has nothing do with the U.S.?

How is the lack of involvement by the U.S. a factor in making a Stalingrad game when Red Thunder has nothing do with the U.S.?

Releasing a game based on the Eastern Front is one thing. It has broad appeal. A game based primarily, if not exclusively, on urban warfare à la Stalingrad is quite another. 

Although by no means a guarantee of its success, no doubt the reason BFC has chosen to put their resources into The Bulge is the size of its market in The States. That Americans were involved in battle will make it that much more likely to sell than a theatre where they weren't.

Without evidence to the contrary, I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing Stalingrad anytime soon...if ever.

@BLSTK What is the big fuss? IMHO doing a mod usually has little to do with what BFC will or will not do....  Relax! 

Nigel is enjoying his creative expression. Stop with the negative waves Moriarity!

But if BFC marches backwards in time on the Ost Front as they have indicated is their master plan, then eventually they will do a family or family module that covers this late '42/43 time period...and if they didn't do a Stalingrad campaign or scenario I would think that would be really a bad marketing decision. They are much more astute now with regards to marketing and metering out content versus CMBB as has been expressed in the forum by beta tester insiders. Years have passed and their kids are headed off to college, wives and girlfriends need plastic surgery, that Audi TT looks damn nice, new golf clubs, ...human nature tells me this is probably more and more a job for the money versus what some modder or a gameplay movie maker or scenario writer or fan of the game does til he finishes at 2 or 3 or 4 AM. :D

Casio Lima studios does x number of mdr file 3D skeletons for X dollars for BFC, no special extra schwimmwagen for kohlenklau, sorry. Same with content such as scenarios and campaigns and everything else. 

Timeline_zps1lhn97da.jpg

Edited by kohlenklau

I don't see that either - however - they do intend to do 1942 Eastern Front.  I would expect a Stalingrad scenario at minimum, but there is so much more that would be interesting from a Campaign perspective. If the 1942 game follows the 1944 game it would be fall 1942 to summer 1943.  Operation Winter Storm, the Chir river battles, Kursk. well who knows.  The 1942 family would theoretically have maybe 6 campaigns (the base release and two modules).

On the other hand what would be absolutely cool and I think has market potential is a Stalingrad building set pack.  The buildings themselves could be usable for other Eastern front games as well.  Once that stuff is in the game, a campaign could be done for Stalingrad by the user community.

I don't see that either - however - they do intend to do 1942 Eastern Front.  I would expect a Stalingrad scenario at minimum, but there is so much more that would be interesting from a Campaign perspective. If the 1942 game follows the 1944 game it would be fall 1942 to summer 1943.  Operation Winter Storm, the Chir river battles, Kursk. well who knows.  The 1942 family would theoretically have maybe 6 campaigns (the base release and two modules).

On the other hand what would be absolutely cool and I think has market potential is a Stalingrad building set pack.  The buildings themselves could be usable for other Eastern front games as well.  Once that stuff is in the game, a campaign could be done for Stalingrad by the user community.

And even within Stalingrad, there were parts of the city/suburbs that featured the diverse terrain that tends to be more playable in CM2 -- for example, the interesting fight for the Orlovka pocket. (Even just within that pocket, the area is SO huge that I figured it would need to divide into these 7 master maps all by itself!)

Inline image 3

Looking fantastic.

What model is the Lenin statue applied to?

Its the smallest modular build 3 levels.

You are welcome Nige. We got to get you some proper horizons! I THOUGHT that umlaut's factory mod shipped out with some type of industrial horizon...did it? Anybody know?

It has Phil ive got  the snow tag on so its overriding Umlats background.

24625459582_862c0cafc1_b.jpg

Taken from Red Square ive managed to match the left hand build and intend to mod one of the churches to get the spire on the right hand building.

24447726140_c15a9e65db_b.jpg

And this is the Train Station area (top left). Reasonable match.

is that your work?now you have to do all Red Thunder soviet city's look like that, really nice looking