Stalingrad Mod?

NPye

Ive been making some maps for Stalingrad, set in winter 42-43, ive built loads of new builds which can be entered and used functionally, before i design build from the modular set but they couldnt be entered, ive designed the builds to use a door and upper set of windows. The maps arent huge but have loads of destoyed building in them.

Mod tags work great Im using the brill Umlats Factory Mod, and Aris Vehicles plus all the new winter mods.

b?s=792600537p.pl?js=no&a=10001109650879&b=photostrea

I wanted to see if I could really get a flavour of Stalingrads ruins shells this meant taking out all floors and ceilings and roofs.

Using loads of textures from the internet ive been building blocks like this.

Which look great and are awesome to defend from.

Bit of fun for flavour, as we cant make staues ( not that i know of) ive tryed to work one into a build, not sure but is a work in progress.

More flavour with the Soviet flag

Destroyed apartments

Destroyed apartments heavily textured to enhance the ruined feel.

A good one to show the size of the builds.

A big work in progress but let me know what you think when i'm done i'm gonna put all the files in a drop box )as there are loads) mod tag them as stalingrad then upload he scenarios. Ive only made 2 maps so far so a way to go. I aim to make at least 10 maps.

Cheers let me know what you think.

Nige

p.pl?js=no&a=10001109650879&b=photostrea

Edited by NPye
no images appear

Hi Ok managed to get some images images on to give an idea of what the mod will look like. Like i say ive got alot to tackle, the factory areas and the famous grain elevator area plus the factory staff houses which were mainly in the Northern suberbs. Red square and October Square are coming on good but not finished.

Edited by NPye
No Text

Cheers Mikey after studying Stalingrad photos it is the utter destruction that struck me, hardly any building was untouched so trying to recreate that is really difficult but it is beginning to take shape and the flavour of Stalingrad is coming across, hopefully.

Managed a few images sorry about the messy page.

Images like this and you're worried about a messy page ?LOL seriously I think you needn't worry that anyone will notice.  We are too busy scraping our jaws off the floor.

My only heads up is that when modding this heavily, what you see is not what you usually get.  CM still tends to block LOS/LOF despite the transparencies.  Visually it is phenomenally appealing, playing it can be a bit frustrating. For example there is no way to duplicate the factory halls.  CM walls will still exist, LOS/LOF and movement all still follow the original building designs.  Having said that, I'd still love to see it even if only for playing at screenshots/dioramas.  Incredible work.  I bow to your creative endeavor.

Edited by sburke

Hey Nigel,

It is ironic to see this spring up as I HAD contemplated to ask you to take it on!

My small "Dom Pavlova" map that could use this. 

Can you give some love and attention to a few of the room interior images if/as you have time to make them look battered and beaten?

I find that dumping some junk flavor objects here and there helps the piled slanted debris look.

An unfinished project (among many) is a KO'd T-34 used as a unit direction sign by the Germans on one side with Soviet slogans on the other side. Modded to be an additional junk flavor object that can be dropped in the map.

EDIT: I really like the one window with the sandbags. I have seen many photos in researching for "Dom Pavlova" aka "Pavlov's House" where the entire window and window frame are gone and the rectangular opening is just a brick lined rough shape if you follow me and THEN they had sandbags piled in there in a few photos. In modern color photos the bricks had a reddish-brownish tint if that is of any guidance. But I will appreciate and take anything you upload! :D

Happy Modding!

Phil

Edited by kohlenklau

HI Phil

Ya I can do the Mod interiors I have done some ill post some later, but only fillers i want to really go to town with the factory mod where i use not only textured walls but put flavour objects in and hopefully may make a good batttle but im not sure if flavours effect LOS LOF etc. If they dont then there wouldnt work as cover??? I haven't really started on the flavour objects but im a bit weary adding to many as i read it slows the game up, (is that true) I love the sound of the T34 KP'd with signs would work really good, are there any panzer III's or early Panzer IVs in grey available do you know. Cheers

...here in the Texas morning having my nescafe....you're in the UK and it is lunch time?

Last I tested I determined that flavor objects block LOS but things will pass through....concealment but no cover. Eye candy for immersion!

My PC seems to run fine with many flavor objects. Stalingrad wouldn't have many or no trees so that should help balance things out! :D

I can make some grey tanks. I did a PanzerIII but first try was too light a grey.

A PzIII shooting up a T-70. Needs a better coat of grey paint, some turret numbers and unit insignia....

Mod%203_zps2fz9jbz7.jpg

Excellent mate ur right im having lunch, enjoy ur coffee. 24th panzer division would be really cool painted in panzer grey even better, ive never done a vehicle mod and as i work on a Mac I cant see the files. Cheers and thanks for the flavour info.

Hey Nige,

I made you this for your mod. A KO'd 24PD PzIIIg as a flavor object. I will probably add some frost and more weathering and find a better font match for the turret numbers.

I even vanished out the tracks...

From this photo....

download_zpsfq8fykfk.jpg

PzIIIg_zpskzfaoa3j.jpg

PM me your e-mail address and I can pass it to you via dropbox.

I will also make you some "runners". PzIV and half-tracks....modtagged [24pd] I guess.....

Amazing screenshots. I wish more atmospheric stuff like this would make it into the official games.

These present issues and a lot of overhead.  I have played on a couple maps that folks have created with mods like this and while they are intensely atmospheric they also get very awkward about how units behave.  Pathing can get funkier than usual and LOS can really get to look weird.  Units that you'd think should be visible aren't because the wall that was there is now transparent.  BF would really need some different building types to support this - factories for example don't really behave right using the modular buildings. That is a pack I'd pay a lot for.  Would be great for CMRT - an urban building pack stock full of different type buildings that would facilitate this kind of modding effort.

Hey Nige,

I made you this for your mod. A KO'd 24PD PzIIIg as a flavor object. I will probably add some frost and more weathering and find a better font match for the turret numbers.

I even vanished out the tracks...

From this photo....

download_zpsfq8fykfk.jpg

PzIIIg_zpskzfaoa3j.jpg

PM me your e-mail address and I can pass it to you via dropbox.

I will also make you some "runners". PzIV and half-tracks....modtagged [24pd] I guess.....

The cadaver, yes. The numbers, no.

The Wehrmacht, to my knowledge, never used that particular font.

Boys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, the likelihood of BFC ever releasing a game based on Stalingrad rests on two things: first, the lack of variety from an urban setting and two, the lack of involvement by the US of A.

Having said that, I'd love to be proven wrong.