Oil War:Iran Strikes scenario as the possible new CMSF:II game

Sequoia

As time goes by a Syrian setting seems less and less likely as the setting for a CMSF II game because in a modern setting the Syrian Army is badly chewed up and a 2008 setting I think would now appeal to many fewer people than it did. If one wanted just to fight insurgents/Isis I think a historical Afghanistan/Iraq game would be preferable.

I was wondering however if the premise put forward in the board wargame Oil War: Iran Strikes might be worth looking into? I don't own and have never played it but it supposes Iran developing nuclear weapons to give itself MAD coverage and then launching a conventional offensive into Iraq and Kuwait to establish dominance in the Persian Gulf. Sure it's a something of a fantasy scenario but so is CMSF. US forces are rushed to Kuwait to defend it so they're initially on defensive and then lead a coalition counter offensive. Iraqi forces can fight on either side. Thoughts?  

I just hope and wish that this time comes soon @SLIM  Is it normal that the BFC official website hasn't been updated for a while ? :( i always try go an get some sneak peaks.. to no avail.

According to ChrisND as stated in a recent live stream, CMSF update isn't even on the radar. Work on CM:Bulge, the next Module for CM:FI, and the first Module for CM:RT is all taking priority over updating Shock Force.

The best I can figure, we probably won't see any work on CMSF update until sometime next year.

Also, I don't think the main site was updated because of the work done on migrating the repository. It's been a busy year for Battlefront.

Edited by SLIM

• 1 month later...

If/when BFC does a rejuvenated CMSF (by another name, one would suppose) I wouldn't mind pushing the time frame back 3 decades instead of forward 2 years. Imagine a 1980-ish timeframe for a Syrian war, back when M60A1s were still in the inventory and Abrams was sporting a 105mm gun. US body armor back around 1980 wasn't particularly advanced. Steve doesn't much like the idea of doing a 1980s NATO 'Fulda Gap' WWIII title because that simply wouldn't work without involving nuclear annihilation. But a 1980s 'proxy war' is another matter entirely.

How about the US and Britain invade Argentina in '82? Just joking :). An early 80's Middle-east scenario is an interesting take Mike. Another OPEC Oil embargo due to the '82 Lebanon war and Reagan pulls the switch. Much more dramatic than Grenada. :). But then Steve couldn't use all the TO&E work he did for 2008.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are there any sources for CMSF getting an engine update? I haven't heard anything.

There has been talk, but nothing concrete.  BF has their hands full with current projects.  The scope for CMSF is something I don't think BF has had time to sort out.  Whether it happens or not will likely depend on the amount of effort it will take.  I doubt we will hear anything more on this in 2016, but I still hope to see it brought up to current standards.  Until BF says absolutely not I will continue to hope.

Are there any sources for CMSF getting an engine update? I haven't heard anything.

Ain't happenin'. "Shock Force 2" will be a completely new game.

Shock Force was placed into the "unsupported" category years ago.  There will be no patches for CMSF ever again.  I don't even think we could get the code to compile even if we wanted a fix. 

• 1 month later...

In the Middle East a general Middle East War based around the current situation which is essentially this scenario or close to it. Add to the mix a Western and Russian hypothetical intervention on the ground, maybe IDF involvement and definitely Iranian intervention. And thee you have the makings of a fine war game with a lot of flexibility for scenraio desigers from US vs Russian to IDF versus Hezbollah or Kurds versus ISIS

10 hours ago, Douglas Ruddd said:

My 2 cents, for what it is worth, would love to see a CM France 1940 :)

Actually I would like a CM Blitzkrieg covering Poland, France and maybe Greece/Yugoslavia. I think it will be a very long time coming as, fairly or unfairly, it is a definite minority interest. Eventually we will likely see a CM Barbarossa in perhaps five or six yearrs if we are lucky and enough of us keep rattling BF"cages" loudly enough for long enough! :-)

Realistically when it comes to BF Blitzkrieg the phrase "Cold Day in Hell" springs to mind! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2016 at 4:01 PM, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Actually I would like a CM Blitzkrieg covering Poland, France and maybe Greece/Yugoslavia. I think it will be a very long time coming as, fairly or unfairly, it is a definite minority interest. Eventually we will likely see a CM Barbarossa in perhaps five or six yearrs if we are lucky and enough of us keep rattling BF"cages" loudly enough for long enough! :-)

Realistically when it comes to BF Blitzkrieg the phrase "Cold Day in Hell" springs to mind! :-)

Maybe BF could run a Kickstarter to gauge interest and get funding for CM Blitzkrieg? 

If I could just win the damn EuroMillions lotto I'd sort it myself .............

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:01 PM, Sprint31 said:

On the topic of Chris and live streams, did anyone catch on the latest (CMFB release) that 4.0 will eventually make it to SF?

That would be awesome!!!  After a time with the WW2 games I always return to CMSF for a change of pace.  There's something about the desert...  :)