Gustav Line and Gothic Line. I know you know the difference but will every one?

Yes we all are a smart group here on this forum, even that guy. :)  But I sense confusion will emerge from the two names being similar if they stick with Gothic Line for the next module. How about some suggestions folks? I know we're in store for smart suggestions here in both senses of the word.

The main problem I see is not that people won't be able to differentiate between gothic line and gustav line, but that both modules will be shortened to CMGL. That will cause confusion, and, I believe, lots of it.

I never read enough about the italian front to find a new, fitting name. From what I remember "Operation olive" might seem appropiate.

Plz no kill me 4 no grognard.

I never read enough about the italian front to find a new, fitting name. From what I remember "Operation olive" might seem appropiate.

I thought you were joking, and started a post with other silly joke names about Italy. Then I thought better of it and googled Operation Olive.. Now I firmly believe that should be the official name of the coming expansion :)

Dumbest operation name I know of is Operation Oration :rolleyes:

I quite like CMFI:NoR (North of Rome), but my vote is worth exactly what you paid for it.

* dear god. A quick google indicates there were at least two Op Orations during WWII. WTF were they thinking? Edit: ... or maybe it was conscious meta humour?

Edited by JonS

Dumbest operation name I know of is Operation Oration :rolleyes:

* dear god. A quick google indicates there were at least two Op Orations during WWII. WTF were they thinking? Edit: ... or maybe it was conscious meta humour?

Maybe they ran out of unique names...? World War 2 certainly had terribly many Operations but there is only a limited number words in the english language. At least Operation Oration was a better codename than calling the planned invasion of Cuba "Operation Ortsac" - yes, that' s Castro spelled backwards :D.

Then I thought better of it and googled Operation Olive.. Now I firmly believe that should be the official name of the coming expansion :)

"Operation Olive" is very suitable - I second that proposal. :)

I thought you were joking, and started a post with other silly joke names about Italy. Then I thought better of it and googled Operation Olive.. Now I firmly believe that should be the official name of the coming expansion :)

Was that the sound of Google & wikipedia break under the strain of the searching this started?

Caution Author often has delusions that Strategy wargaming was the BIGGEST entertainment media in the world; above post should be treated with said delusions in mind.

We've got Market Garden.

How about CMFI Olive Garden?

Edited by BLSTK

The point about Gothic Line/Gustav Line confusion is well taken. The proposed solution (Operation Olive) has, IMO, its own problems. Consider that happens with the usual truncation. CMFI:OO gets shortened to CMOO, doubtless pronounced "Sea moo." In turn, we now have to think about Steller's sea cow, a now extinct huge (size of a school bus) relative of the manatee and dugong. Not exactly the stuff of martial glory, is it? Of course, there's another problematic candidate: CMFI: Po River. Inevitably, it becomes CMPR, pronounced "simper," which is much worse the Steller's sea cow.  Somehow, Combat Mission: Behave like a coquette, smile in a fake manner or make stupid calls to your GF while out with the guys seems unlikely to endear us to Ares, who might well blight our virtual troops and even our computers by way of expressing displeasure! The alternative approach could be both socially and grammatically not good. "See em pee are." Purists will immediately pounce on this to pointedly remind us it should be "'See em pee em is," which should be entirely obvious to anyone who got past elementary school! Is there any hope to be had?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Line 

The above Wiki may hold the key.

The Gothic Line (GermanGotenstellungItalianLinea Gotica)

If we go with CMFI:LG, then we have CMLG, which would be rendered "sea em el gee." Downside? Some are likely to think it's a cell phone! Still, not bad. A very reasonable option, though, on the face of it would be CMFI: Northern Italy, CMNI. Makes perfect sense, right? Until... "Sea em knee" is altogether too close to one of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_anemone#/media/File:Actiniaria.jpg

Fortunately, this thing is more than pretty. It's a predator. It fights. Viciously. And with the Ligurian Sea on one side of the top of the boot of Italy and the Adriatic Sea on the other, the maritime inadvertent connection could be a good thing. Someone else is welcome to address the alternative Monty Python implications!

This was fun. I shall be most interested to see what BFC come up with for the actual title.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

And with the Ligurian Sea on one side of the top of the boot of Italy and the Adriatic Sea on the other, the maritime inadvertent connection could be a good thing. Someone else is welcome to address the alternative Monty Python implications!

Alright, Kettler. I'll take the bait.

How 'bout CM:Das Boot Hat Ein Leak Gesprungen?

• 5 months later...

Would Operation Dragoon and operations in Southern France be part of the proposed CMFI module?

What about the operations in Germany in '45?

I couldn't answer about Operation Dragoon for sure but I would be surprised if it were.

Germany '45 will be covered by a module for the upcoming Final Blitzkrieg game.  In it we should have things like the Pershing, Volksturm, and whatever else is needed to cover the end of the war.