Upgraded Activation Procedure

Greetings all,

As I understand that others besides myself have found the re-activation procedure somewhat bothersome I thought I'd share a procedure that actually worked. Possibly it will for others. It's based on a tip from forum member Hister, I've just added a few things.

The pack needs a working 3.00 install to start with.

1. Install Vehicle Pack via Setup.exe (includes v3.10 update)

2. Launch CMBN

3. Press Activate & use 3.00 key (DOES NOT USE UP ACTIVATIONS per BF)

4. Quit. IMPORTANT! As you value your game and your sanity; do NOT launch the game from the activation screen!

5. Find Activate Modules Shortcut it's either on your desktop or in the CMBN Start Menu folder

6. Click on the shortcut; you will now be requested to give the Activation Key for CMBN. Ignore this. What is needed is the activation key for the module (Market Garden, Commonwealth, Vehicle pack) you want to activate. Input this.

7. You will now be told that you have successfully activated CMBN. In fact you will get six little icons that say the same thing. Ignore that too and close the screen. Do NOT launch the game from this screen either!

8. Repeat step 7 for each module you want to activate, I think the best thing is to activate the vehicle pack last, but that's just a guess. Or use Big Bundle Key to activate CW & MG modules if you bought the Big Bundle.

9. Close down the activation screen. As stated above do NOT try to launch the game from the activation screen!

9.b A restart of your computer might be a good idea at this point, possibly unnecessary...

10. Start the game normally.

I used this procedure on my second computer, (Kudos to BF for allowing two installs by the way) and it worked. On the other computer I tried to lauch the game after installing the Vehicle pack and the whole thing went pearshaped. Now when I start the game I get a a locked black screen with the logo for the Vehicle pack at the bottom.

Next I will un- and re-install CMBN including upgrades and modules, the try to reactivate the whole kit and kaboodle using the above.

So, as they say; here goes nothing...

Just to add some input here.

I just tried re-installing my game and modules to get the 3 upgrade and to be honest I found it rather frustrating and had to do clean start from scratch at least 2 times.

I think I was probably not installing and activating upgrade 2 at the correct time thus kept saying I had invalid keys etc blah blah.

Anyway I only solved this by buying and installing the 3 upgrade.

What I can say is this,

After the mess of trying to do all that, I am defo not buying the other pack cos I am starting to think it is all too much trouble now.

Sorry BF. Good game but becoming just too much DRM hassle. Get it on steam or something and save me the hassles.

Greetings all,

As I understand that others besides myself have found the re-activation procedure somewhat bothersome I thought I'd share a procedure that actually worked. Possibly it will for others. It's based on a tip from forum member Hister, I've just added a few things.

The pack needs a working 3.00 install to start with.

1. Install Vehicle Pack via Setup.exe (includes v3.10 update)

2. Launch CMBN

3. Press Activate & use 3.00 key (DOES NOT USE UP ACTIVATIONS per BF)

4. Quit. IMPORTANT! As you value your game and your sanity; do NOT launch the game from the activation screen!

5. Find Activate Modules Shortcut it's either on your desktop or in the CMBN Start Menu folder

6. Click on the shortcut; you will now be requested to give the Activation Key for CMBN. Ignore this. What is needed is the activation key for the module (Market Garden, Commonwealth, Vehicle pack) you want to activate. Input this.

7. You will now be told that you have successfully activated CMBN. In fact you will get six little icons that say the same thing. Ignore that too and close the screen. Do NOT launch the game from this screen either!

8. Repeat step 7 for each module you want to activate, I think the best thing is to activate the vehicle pack last, but that's just a guess. Or use Big Bundle Key to activate CW & MG modules if you bought the Big Bundle.

9. Close down the activation screen. As stated above do NOT try to launch the game from the activation screen!

9.b A restart of your computer might be a good idea at this point, possibly unnecessary...

10. Start the game normally.

I used this procedure on my second computer, (Kudos to BF for allowing two installs by the way) and it worked. On the other computer I tried to lauch the game after installing the Vehicle pack and the whole thing went pearshaped. Now when I start the game I get a a locked black screen with the logo for the Vehicle pack at the bottom.

Next I will un- and re-install CMBN including upgrades and modules, the try to reactivate the whole kit and kaboodle using the above.

So, as they say; here goes nothing...

Thank you for this, alleviated the stress of installing the vehicle pack. I wonder what the procedure is for reinstalling fresh.

I wonder what the procedure is for reinstalling fresh.

Me too. I haven't been able to play BN or its modules for about a year now. I tried to reinstall after a problem with a control, and I couldn't get it to accept by keys. I opened a ticket at the help desk and we struggled with it for weeks to no good end. I finally just gave up and bailed on it. But I'd like to be able to play BN again. It's a fine game set in the theater I find most interesting and I am not done with it.

Michael

It all gets confusing as prior to the pre Vehicle update shows I had CMBN 2.10 when all the info shows you need 3.0. I'm sure I installed 3.0 as I had downloaded it and used the key as per instructions.

I also removed my z mod folder just in case.

Otherwise it all seems to have worked.

You may notice the white text at the bottom of the home screen (with pack) will say "v3.10 Game Engine 3". CMRT will (very soon) have text saying "V1.01 Game Engine 3". So they've started clearly differentiating between the title's build version and the 'game engine' it's running off of.

It would be nice to have a Photo's thread how to download...

Problems incurred... Chrome, AVG (tried to re-install CW), then believe files not downloaded into correct folder. (ended up on desktop... most likely due to chrome problem at the beginning.)

but got there, in the end, I hope... playing first game today.

So final word (and a bit of a bump if there's still people who might need a little help with the activations) on my adventures with the vehicle pack.

After un-installing everything CMBN I followed my own procedure and strangeness ensued...

The Game consistently refused to recognize my activations keys from 3.00 and onward... BUT... after trying them all, suddenly I could access the game with all modules and upgrades...

So; I don't know what to tell you, except a message for the guys at BF; There has GOT to be a better way!

I also found that the turn-based H2H mode, great as it is to have it back, is a little unstable, frequently one computer will stop and the other continue. Really hope this can be fixed as turn-based H2H over LAN is my/our absolute favorite way of playing this game.

Now I'm off to build a Byte Battle between Crab Tanks and AVREs.

Wow, I am truly touched by the expressions of sympathy. I guess I touched a nerve there. Well, to bring the story up to date, I have ordered the disks for VP and will have another go at it in hopes that this time with BFC's help I can get it going again. Wish me luck.

Michael

Late to the party, but that does suck big time I and I'm sorry to hear this. Take heart though, I had a number of key/license activation problems with both CMBN and RT after getting a new comp, and BFC Help Desk and Chris ND got it all sorted (RT just fixed a few minutes ago!).

What a hassle. Somebody needs to be put up against a wall and shot. So, I NOW see that the little numbers at the bottom of the opening screen are NOT the engine number. Glad they are fixing that.

All I see is the initial CMBN icon and the diamond for the VP. It says V3.10 Game Engine 3.

No CW and no MG icons down at the bottom left.

So, I guess I should have a little file on my computer where I stash all these key codes from years ago. I always just kept them in the e-mail folders as I got the confirmation from BFC.

Now I gotta go track them down...

OK, found almost all, now have Blue MG icon on the opening screen.

But I bought CW by mail only so I have the 16 character key on the back of the actual CD and have to go somewhere online to get the activation key?

No, helpdesk says it IS the key but when I type it in, it says error....

I would really like to purchase this - but have to say I am being scared off by all the codes and entries to maybe get the game to work the way it was prior to an upgrade. How much work will it take to install? Will I have to submit things to the help desk to resolve? What if one module is fine and another isn't there? Or will I end up like Michael Emrys and just have an unusable program after purchasing it and trying to install?

I have all CMBN and the two expansions, CMFI and the one expansion, the upgrades to 2.0 and 3.0, and CMRT. I say all that to point out that obviously I enjoy these games, and have purchased the products when they were offered well before they were released.

Up to this point I have been willing to take the risks, but in this last one Derfel 2nd identified a 10 step process. An even with his knowledge he had his other machine blow up and that sounded like a bit of a nightmare. Understand I want to buy this expansion and have literally spent hundreds of dollars already (and happy do have done that), but I wish Battlefront would not treat every paid for upgrade or paid for module addition (or in this case adding a vehicle pak) as something akin to an attempt of software piracy.

Go for it. Lots of people have done it. It worked flawlessly my first try. I did pretty much described above but I did not get fussy about not launching the game at what ever point I wanted. I do not think it hurts to start the game.

I say go for it knowing that the support team will be there for you if something goes sideways.

I have no idea what happened with Michael Emrys but lots and lots of us have had no trouble at all.

I wish Battlefront would not treat every paid for upgrade or paid for module addition (or in this case adding a vehicle pak) as something akin to an attempt of software piracy.

Yeah well that is not BFC's intention but as you note it feels like that doesn't it. That is the problem with a DRM system - it gets in the way and causes friction for legitimate customers while providing...