Content in potential upcoming modules?

jakla1027

From the German side the possibilities for formations are almost endless and perhaps unrealistic to expect them all.

LW and Fallschirmjager

SS + Heer Gebirgsjager

Jager

Volksgrenadier

Volksturm (already mentioned I think)

SS Cavalry (perhaps we will have to accept that there won't be horses...)

Ski-Jager

Stellung division

Finns

Baltic States SS

Hungarians

Romanians

Bulgarians

SS Cossacks

Russian Liberation Army?

Also might it be possible for the Unit editor to have more flexibility for German forces (and perhaps US forces in Bulge) to have mixed kampfgruppe or Combat Commands? At present we can create a mixed kampfgruppe with a unified HQ by adding various single vehicles or teams to battalion HQ. It would be great to be able to add subordinate company or platoon sized formations to a battalion HQ - say a PzGr or infantry Battalion HQ with a subordinate armoured company or platoon HQ

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jadgpanther didn't show up in the theater til October. Steve was particularly vexed to discover that inconvenient fact

He's not the only one. I had been intending to redo the tank spotting tests first thing as soon as I got CMRT so as to pursue the Mystery of the Blind Jagdpanther. Looks like that will have to wait for CMBN 3.0, and any changes from that must wait until whatever comes after that.

According to Hinze's account in East Front Drama there were a few Hungarian units that participated in the battlesd of July to early August 1944 including the 1st Royal Hunarian Cavalry Division, some reservist units. Hungarians and Roumanians were more AG South but with the Lvov offensive and later operations this sector remained of great importance right though to the end of the war with many well known battles fought in this sector. We really need the scope to cover these, not to mention the liberation f the Baltic States, the drive into Poland and eventually into Germany itself.

I expect to finish ze series raising ze Red Banner on the ruins of the Reichstadt! :D

Not to forget I want the rest of the Russian Front as well. ASAP!:D

You mean the late war IR night vision technology that most German tank commanders took off because it was garbage?

:rolleyes:

I just remember seeing it shown on the Box art of a 1/35 scale DML Halftrack. So IR was around. However I am not enough of a self proclaimed expert [we have many here lol] to say that it was garbage. Could you please elaborate?:eek:

I just remember seeing it shown on the Box art of a 1/35 scale DML Halftrack. So IR was around. However I am not enough of a self proclaimed expert [we have many here lol] to say that it was garbage. Could you please elaborate?:eek:

I am no expert on it either but I remember quite well that the tank IR technology was pretty much worthless. It gave your position away because of the IR lamp and it was finicky. I know some Panthers were deployed with them (You can actually see the IR mount on some as well), but it wasn't anything great.

Shouldn't an IR lamp not give your position away, because IR light is like, not visible to the human eye?

Like you, I am not really informed in the area, but a couple things occur to me. The first is that it might emit light in the visible spectrum as well (these things were in an early stage of development, after all). The other is that even if they only emit in the IR spectrum, anybody with a Snooperscope would pick up on it immediately.

Michael

I really have only a very basic understanding of how these early night vision devices worked and were deployed, but they were called Generation 0 for a reason, and the Allies didn't have anything in that direction as far as I know, except for some rifle mounted solutions used in the very late war in the Pacific.

I don't really see how these vehicle based devices could be implemented in Combat Mission in a user-friendly way considering they had to be used together with special searchlight halftracks

"Liberation" - August / December 1944

"liberation" of Polish, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary

(Polish partisans - Operation Ostra Brama, Operation Tempest - Lwów Uprising, the Warsaw Uprising (two-month battle)

Raid on Berlin - January / May 1945

The operation's Vistula-Odra river - Battle of the Pomeranian, fortress Breslau, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Battle of Lake Balaton and of course Berlin (polish LWP)

Korea - 1950-1953;)

The German Panzer-Division "Clausewitz" used 2 to 3 IR-Panthers in one of its battlegroups, while attacking the US near Uelzen in late April 1945. These Panthers were able to destroy a number of US AT-guns with very exactly fire during the night-fighting (from the book: "The last front at the Elbe-River").

Regards

Frank

Steve has dropped hints that he may be willing to 'go crazy' on oddballs and paper panzers in the final packs for Bulge/Eastern Front. See Panther Fs, IS-3s and Maus show up, and who knows what else. That doesn't sound much like Steve, though. I'll believe it when I see it.

Steve has dropped hints that he may be willing to 'go crazy' on oddballs and paper panzers in the final packs for Bulge/Eastern Front. See Panther Fs, IS-3s and Maus show up, and who knows what else. That doesn't sound much like Steve, though. I'll believe it when I see it.

Panther F's huh?

I have to look that one up...

I agree it doesn't sound like Steve or Charles. Their position has been if it wasn't there it won't be in the game though I think they gave us the T-90 in CMSF for game play reasons as I think the evidence Syria had them in 2008 was dubious. Still they drew the line at the T-80.

The only what if that interests me is Soviets vs. Western Allies.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Panther F and IS-3 and Jagdtiger. As noted, the Panther F was nearly ready to roll when the factories were over run, and the IS-3 was real enough although the early models had serious defects.

I agree it doesn't sound like Steve or Charles. Their position has been if it wasn't there it won't be in the game though I think they gave us the T-90 in CMSF for game play reasons as I think the evidence Syria had them in 2008 was dubious. Still they drew the line at the T-80.

Heh... well, the T-90 was a harbinger of things to come. I don't now if we'll ever get a Maus in the game as it might break about 10 dozen game engine assumptions. However, something like the Panther F and IS-3 are candidates because we know quite a bit about them and had the war gone on much longer they would have seen service (even if in small numbers). Something like the E-100 or Panther II isn't something I think we'll ever get to since they were both cancelled during prototype stage.

Steve