CMRT - BETA AAR - Soviet Side

Just wondering, you say you heard your aircraft, what if Elvis chose air support too would you be able to tell the difference?

Will different aircraft have different engine sounds?

Hey Ted, I couldn't say... I expect there is only one aircraft sound, if there are more I doubt I could tell the difference anyway. ;)

I know Elvis didn't buy an aircraft though, because the idea was nixed by Battlefront because of a BETA issue.

I'm really looking forward to making large maps and the potential for Battalion plus battles. I already do Battalion size maps and battles so more space the better.

It looks like the Russian forces are not really pinning down the German forces as yet, a minor fire fight here and there will just get the German forces warmed up.

Then again we could see the Russian Bear tearing apart the German Eagle.

Roll on Red Thunder.

This turn starts off with the ISU-122 moving forward and taking a shot at the clump of brush the enemy team is sitting in...

...it did miss and then spent the rest of the turn reloading. This is why I did not want to bring these things in this game.. in a tank v tank shootout they are sitting ducks, not very accurate, and the reload times are so slow that you really have to be very careful with them by using shoot and scoot to move forward, take a shot, move back, allow at least 30-45 seconds to reload, then move forward again... painful.

Watch the Video of the Action

12588747034_079624bda2_b.jpg

12540829814_5748e6bb7f_c.jpg

As you can see in this image I continue to move 5th Company troops from KT2 to KT5, the two squads that I have in KT5 already are starting to scout forward, while 3/1/4 scouts the left side of KT5... there was an enemy unit in that are a few turns ago so I am taking it slow, alternating movement as is my SOP. The final 1 Plt./5 Co. squad will be moving across next turn.

Note that the 1st squad from 1st Plat/4th Company in this area is moving to KT4 to support the 2nd Squad (-) already there...

The other 5th Company Platoons are moving forward to jump off positions so they can move quickly forward to KT5 as well.

12588746954_2500fae5a9_b.jpg

Back in the KT3 area you can see that I am making a huge push with the two 4th Company Platoons and their support...

...I know that artillery is about to fall somewhere.. I really don't know where.. though I have my suspicions, so I am pushing forward across the board to get out from under where I think it could fall, mainly on my two major troop masses, this one in KT3 and the other in KT2.. though I think KT2 is unlikely as with Elvis pushing that one team across to KT2 I don't think he expected me to be that far forward. Regardless they too are moving quicker than they had been as the spotting rounds have all fallen in their general vicinity.

I already have toe holds in KT7 and KT8 and most of the remainder of two Platoons will move across next turn.

The T34/85 Platoon is moving towards KT5, not for any reason than I want to give Elvis something else to think about. It is too early to commit them so I am playing a Psyop war right now and will be moving them here and there to get his attention and hopefully make him second guess himself.

The SMG Squad in the south end of KT3 will continue to scout forward and clear the edge of the wood mass.

12588310095_0659302840_b.jpg

Wow, they are £$%^&@£ing monsters ! :eek:

Could they really move that fast ? At the start of the video, it's lumbering forward which looked impressive, but then it really kicks into high gear just before stopping to take its shot.

Not saying it's wrong, I know very little about the Russian equipment capabilities.

I haven't been monitoring the German side of this test, but given the progression of events, it's looking like things will heat up quite a bit in KT6. I like how you've reversed your approach in that the main thrust is exactly through the densest terrain. With armor the tendency is to go where maneuver and range is and have infantry for support. The speed of your approach is impressive too.

I do wonder how the German defense will pan out on the Soviet left flank. If things go really well on the right it might even be possible to support the left afterward. Time will tell.

The area between KT2 and KT4 continues to receive spotting rounds... about one per turn. This one lands on top of the hapless LMG Team from 2nd Squad... it's lone survivor is seen here running to safety. Part of 1st Squad can be seen making its passage to KT4 in the background.

12597531135_704bf52631_b.jpg

The movement to KT7 and KT8 is continuing without interference... see those open areas between the woods? With the long range firepower of the German squads Elvis should be covering those with fire and making them true "danger areas".. but none of them have been covered so far.. this is making my movement very fast. Where does he plan on making his stand, on the objectives?

I will be fully in KT7 and KT 8 next turn and moving toward Objective Blue.. I expect I will see some Germans on the way.

12597531205_78219a3f9b_b.jpg

Bil,

Thanks for another great AAR. You are as methodical as ever and your screen shots, illustrations, and explanations are top notch.

I see what you mean about the limitations of the ISU-122 (and the related Kitty Killers). Waiting 40 seconds between shots when engaging a fixed position is one thing, but will be agonizing in any armor duel...

At the top of KT5, my lead team comes under fire from close range automatic weapons taking one casualty.. note the round impacts in the trees.. those help pin point the direction the fire came from...

12603053194_b95968e820_b.jpg

...zooming out we can connect the dots to determine where the fire originated. Now I do not need to advance through this area and I choose not to. I will halt this platoon's forward movement, take up positions and try to get more information. I had not planned on moving through that open terrain north of KT5 anyway.

12602727493_7a7360f55a_b.jpg

That isn't the most important event from this turn though.. more interesting was this UI tank icon that popped up with 4 seconds left in the turn... now I don't know if this tank is moving or not, nor can I tell much on type yet. Hopefully it will start to move and then I could get more information.

This spot came from my SMG Company HQ scout unit.

12602630155_34d8924017_b.jpg

The German plan for defense is a mystery to me. I'd been tempted to view Elvis' side of the AAR, but now I'm much too intrigued to lift the veil at this point.

Sporadic contacts along the right half of the Soviet advance, but always withdrawing or disengaging. Spotting rounds in succession in the more dense side of the Soviet advance, almost as if the expectation was for an advance, yet never the call for FFE. Didn't see the Soviets? Didn't see enough of them? German armor pretty much where one would expect it to be. At least indications of armor where it would be expected. I really get the feeling it's going to come down hard in KT6.

The enemy contact in front of 5 Company has not altered my plan.. I was never moving through that open terrain to the north of KT5.. it does mean that I need to keep 1st Platoon in a defensive posture while 2nd and 3rd platoons pass from KT5 to KT6... I am happy for Elvis to keep some combat power in that little hedge lined field... I do not need to go after him.

Note that I already have a toehold in KT6... the lead team from 3rd squad/1 Plt./4th Company started moving across last turn and completed its movement to the outskirts of KT6 this turn. They will eventually move to KT9 after scouting a little further into KT6.. then 2nd and 3rd Platoons of 5th company will scout for themselves as they move north.

1st platoon will then pull out of KT5 and follow.. providing rear protection.

12622617944_215080d8c6_b.jpg

I have mounted the SMG squad and the SMG platoon HQ unit as I plan on moving the ISU-122s up behind my scouting SMG squad that is moving through KT3... this should (hopefully) keep Elvis from sending his armor to my right... if he does then these guys will move aggressively north toward Objective Red, behind a good SMG screen.

12622188735_6aecfc18bd_b.jpg

This turn was mostly maneuver.. no new contacts were identified. I keep moving closer and closer to Objective Blue with no sign of the enemy... I suspect he is holed up in the town and is planning on using the long range firepower of his squads to advantage.. of course he could be in the woods just in front of my units... but he hasn't done well in that environment so far so maybe not...

...my ISU-122s are now in the woods following up the SMG squad scouting the edge of the woods of KT3 (and soon KT7).

12624154605_8845c813f5_b.jpg

By the way, I no longer think that the artillery that is falling (one to two rounds each turn) on the river/treeline between KT2 and KT4 (that took out 2/3rds of my LMG Team) are spotting rounds. The rounds have been falling too consistently in the same area for too long now.. so I suspect this is an artillery mission, perhaps on harass. That is an expensive expenditure of artillery for a total of three casualties (my T34/85 riders take one casualty this turn.. but are now free from the impact zone). All other units are free from the impact zone.