CMRT - BETA AAR - Soviet Side

One new terrain detail longtime CM players might be overlooking. Big trees, small trees mediums sized trees. :D

Well, I had noticed it but wasn´t sure from looking at the screenshots. So I had been meaning to ask if that was a new addition - but forgot again.

This is great news, as this will enable much more realistically looking woods/forests, especially at the edges. :)

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes for a nice looking forest. Is this a change to how trees are handled? What I mean is if, in the editor, I put down some Tree A into some tiles will I see a variety of sizes of Tree A in the 3D rendering or do scenario creators have more tree sizes to choose from in the editor?

Oh geeez Ian, don't you read the fine print?!!! Specifically Steve's bio?!

From the Battlefront About us section

What He Really Does: Constantly adds to one of the largest collection of military uniforms, despite repeatedly running out of space to store them. At one point he owned a small herd of WW2 M29C Weasels, but decided to find new homes for them. What ever you do, DON'T ask him about trees! You have been warned...

Before I get into the turn, I wanted to expand on the Key Terrain image.. I am starting to get close to moving into these other tree masses so needed to label them so I can use them for reference.

I added KT7, KT8, and KT9, I also expanded KT6.. the open area in KT6 is the area I plan on moving through with 5th Company and my T34s. KT9 will act as a flank guard and I plan on placing an OP/LP or two in there.

12540829814_5748e6bb7f_b.jpg

This turn I fired some mortar rounds into the path of the enemy teams I saw retreating last turn.. these rounds probably all missed perhaps falling behind where those teams are, but my hope is that Elvis will see this as confirmation that my main force is moving through this area.

Note that the 2nd Squad, 1st Platoon unit identified in this image is the SMG Squad from the OT34 not from 4th Company.

12540829994_714de3e50d_b.jpg

Elvis Blinked

My rifle team that started the squad's movement from KT2 to KT4 stopped in its overwatch position to cover the SMG Team's movement across and spotted this enemy team moving from KT5 into KT2... note that the MP40 carrying soldier falls to their fire. I hope that was the team leader.

The rest of the team (one more individual spotted) continued moving into the trees of KT2... directly into the path of the platoon's 1st Squad.

12540464493_a353e84ff0_b.jpg

This overview shows how crucial this piece of ground is.. four pieces of Key terrain come together in this corner.. the movement tells me that Elvis is getting desperate and probably does not have eyes on my incoming 5th Company which are following up behind this 4th Company Platoon that has been clearing KT2.

Note the second UI infantry unit in KT5.. this spot came in as the turn ended.. and this tells me that another team is probably moving toward KT2 or into an overwatch position in KT5.

The red X marks the spot of the enemy soldier killed this turn.

12540829734_66683f946c_b.jpg

Are those roads just really wide or it that some kind of terrain feature like plain dirt? I use the term 'road' loosely since we are talking East Front here. I like the look but must admit when I first saw the map on the 1st page I thought they were dried up river beds. :o

Looks like things are starting to really heat up. Love the map dissection going on. Feels like we are starting surgery for something. :)

As I start to maneuver to perform a Squad Attack Drill on the enemy team that crossed into KT2 last turn a third enemy contact pops up (labeled 3 in this image).. looks like Elvis might be moving units to my right and into the path of my main effort. I will keep an eye on this, but I had hoped to see units moving toward my secondary attack route.

I will step up the pressure from the units moving through KT3 and KT4 and also bypass these enemy contacts with my squad that has crossed from KT2 into KT4 and start moving them down towards the village.

12544431554_49f1726338_b.jpg

Are those roads just really wide or it that some kind of terrain feature like plain dirt? I use the term 'road' loosely since we are talking East Front here. I like the look but must admit when I first saw the map on the 1st page I thought they were dried up river beds. :o

Looks like things are starting to really heat up. Love the map dissection going on. Feels like we are starting surgery for something. :)

The road you can see in the screenshot are main roads leading to Borisov - however in this part of the world (and based on the info on the 1942 1:50000 map) they were around 12m wide graded dirt. To recreate this I used the 'dirt lot' tile. It smooths of the terrain tile and is a nice hard packed surface so seemed to give the effect I was after - a wide graded surface. You can see this in many period photos. Other roads use the standard 'dirt road' tile. A few tracks are just 'dirt' tiles.

The road you can see in the screenshot are main roads leading to Borisov - however in this part of the world (and based on the info on the 1942 1:50000 map) they were around 12m wide graded dirt. To recreate this I used the 'dirt lot' tile. It smooths of the terrain tile and is a nice hard packed surface so seemed to give the effect I was after - a wide graded surface. You can see this in many period photos. Other roads use the standard 'dirt road' tile. A few tracks are just 'dirt' tiles.

And it allows a mapper to make curvier dirt roads without the annoying zigzag effect of real dirt road tiles.

Elvis inflicts two casualties this turn on my troops... one is the LMG gunner from second squad while moving to KT4 from KT2... this from what appears to be a spotting round....

12549400463_a6fb73d36d_b.jpg

Overview in this sector that is starting to get busy...

There are now up to three teams moving across the road from KT9 to KT6, they are walking across that road like they don't have a care in the world.

Also note that I pushed an SMG team across from KT2 to KT5... they lose their rifleman to a burst from the remaining MP40 gunner in the team that crossed to KT2 a few turns ago.

That lone MP40 gunner was immediately cut down by the Platoon HQ team as it maneuvered onto the enemy team's flank.

Note the impact from what I suspect is a spotting round.

12549400493_cf52311b69_b.jpg

Situation:

Overall view of the map at this point...

1. SMG Company HQ unit maneuvering around the corner along what was Axis Red... note that I do not expect them to spot enemy infantry teams.. the range will be too ar for that.. but they could spot enemy armor if any is overwatching this open terrain approach.

2. SMG Squad is scouting the southern edge of KT3

3. Teams starting to cross into KT8

4. T34 Platoon with tank riders is moving to the gap between KT2 and KT4

5. Squad (minus LMG Team) scouts forward toward the village in KT4

6. Trucks with support and pioneer squads move up to KT1

Note that my general overall movement is to the left... if Elvis wants to move to the right to block my route to Objective Yellow, then that will give my force moving towards Objective Blue a better chance to succeed. If that happens then I might give them more resources to do just that.

12549754334_1858c129fd_b.jpg

This is very impressive, I love the way you execute recce pull and that you are well balanced to switch the main effort to gain most advantage.

The way this AAR is presented is just brilliant, it has taken me a while to fully appreciate your scheme of manoeuvre but now I fully get it. While I'm sure there are challenges ahead, if you lose, it won't be down to poor planning and execution but fortunes of war.

This truly is a master class as well as a brilliant showcase of CMRT.

This is very impressive, I love the way you execute recce pull and that you are well balanced to switch the main effort to gain most advantage.

The way this AAR is presented is just brilliant, it has taken me a while to fully appreciate your scheme of manoeuvre but now I fully get it. While I'm sure there are challenges ahead, if you lose, it won't be down to poor planning and execution but fortunes of war.

This truly is a master class as well as a brilliant showcase of CMRT.

Thanks. It's nice to be appreciated... makes all the hard work worth while.

Last turn I showed you the over all situation, with my SMG Squad in the southern end of KT3.. well this turn one of the SMG teams spots an enemy team crawling to, obviously, get some eyes on my ISU-122s...

Bottom image.. a few seconds, 50 rounds, and a grenade later at least two of them are dead and the others must be suppressed... well, I'll find out about their status when I assault them next turn.

12555125115_babdc3192c_b.jpg

My SMG Squad assault went in and finished off the enemy team they encountered last turn...

...one individual attempted to crawl to safety but was spotted and killed by the second team. A total of five enemy dead lay beneath the trees from this encounter.

The cost to me: 150 rounds of SMG ammo and several grenades.

This image shows the first team assaulting through the enemy position.

12565803365_c6197ec0ac_b.jpg

The SMG Company HQ I have doing a leader's recon down Axis Red spotted this enemy scout team (two man each with MP40s) moving to some brush down range. They used their signal flags to call up an ISU-122 to chuck some HE into this enemy team.

So you should be able to see the ISU-122 fire its gun for the first time next turn.. stand by, I'll see if I can't get a combat photographer to take a movie of the action.

12565803845_3cb9c8d070_b.jpg

Back at the KT2 and KT5 crossing area... while the SMG team that took a casualty a few turns ago performs medic duties on their fallen comrade, a 5th Company squad passes through their position.

12565804185_6dcfd4b6b9_b.jpg

I thought I had killed the only remaining member of the enemy team that was at the top of KT2 last turn, but it appears there was one more.. well he falls this turn. So hopefully that is the end of that team.. that was a waste of resources from Elvis's perspective.. he lost three soldiers and took down one of mine (from the SMG team).. he needs to turn that kill ratio around if he hopes to win this game.

12566270294_de764228aa_b.jpg

Here is an overview of the situation in this corner of the map...

Note that the LMG team that was performing medic duties on its fallen comrade takes another artillery/mortar round this turn, which causes another casualty.. this team is for all intents and purposes out of action. I need to get the survivor under cover though.

12566140965_50d08592c7_b.jpg

This whole map is just beautiful to look at as everything looks very realistic and natural. I look forward to making some maps with the editor :D

@Bill

Looks like you are getting the drop on a lot of his units and it is costing your opponent. This only happens when you practice good recon so good to see it paying off. Of course being lucky never hurts either. :P

This whole map is just beautiful to look at as everything looks very realistic and natural. I look forward to making some maps with the editor :D

Cheers mate :)

TBH the additional terrain elements in the editor and the flavour objects all make a huge difference to the final look of the finished article - and that's all kudos down to the talent and efforts of the artists. Overall I reckon the 'look' of the game has been greatly enhanced. IMHO :)

Having the terrain overlay function where you can import maps that you can effectively 'draw' your map - that's a huge time saving. It's worth taking the time with the new and additional flavour objects as it's well worth the effort when you get down and dirty in the view. I reckon you'll enjoy the new and expanded palette scenario designers now have access to.