Stalingrad VFX

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They appear to be made to look like late F or early G models, I dont think there were that many MKIV Fs and Gs in 6th Army at the time of the Stalingrad battle, maybe a few, but every tank in the CGI sequence looks the same.

Its still pretty cool, what can be done these days with computer enhanced movies.

count the road wheels. Also mkivs wheels are not usually hidden by the skirts. They are small enough to be under the skirt iirc.

I agree with Childress - I think there are worse war movies than Enemy at the Gates.

Whilst the performances aren't special and being in American English - not Russian and German - it lacks that dash of authenticism that could carry it better. But, it's still got an interesting back-story, the plot develops well enough and there are one or two interesting scenes, which the love scene is certainly not one. The likes of Pearl Harbour is in a far, lower league than this.

Most of the war movies that make grogs happy I tend to find tedious and dull. Like they filmed a reenactor convention or something. Give me interesting characters and a decent plot and I can forgive the wrong model jeep and the post-war truck in the background. "Enemy at the Gates" was a good movie, but you've got to admit it was a 'western' in all but location. It even included the two 'gun slingers' facing off for a stand-up duel.

Apparently this is also on blu ray now. So many interesting russian movies.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dneiperline-Love-and-War-Blu-ray/43717/

Dneiperline: Love and War Blu-ray

I was thinking about getting the original 1993 (iirc) blu ray of stalingrad as well.

Others I want to look into:

FORTRESS OF WAR, THE BOMBER, ADMIRAL,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2007471/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343703/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1101026/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

MV5BMTM1OTgwOTgxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUwNDQ3MQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

MV5BMTQzOTA2OTU1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzEyNzQ5NA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

MV5BNjc5MzE2Mzg1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDIxODYyNw@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Do Russian war movies have the same hackneyed stereotypes? You know, farm boy, Brooklyn, true heart Indian, and the father figure NCO/Captain, and the unblooded Looie who dies to atone for his earlier mistakes?

What would they have? The Muscovite, streetwise and arrogant. The Ukrainian wheat farm boy, wide eyed and innocent. The scamming Georgian, always scheming and trading. The Uzbeck, who listens to the ground and states, "3 Tigers to the West. They approach with hate in their hearts. We have 10 minutes." The Komsomol recruit who keeps looking to his pocket guide as if that will tell him what to do while under direct machinegun fire. And the Commissar, waving his pistol about, foam and spittle flying, who dies while gloriously taking out the Tiger tank and saving the men who hated him.

Just wondering...

Do Russian war movies have the same hackneyed stereotypes? You know, farm boy, Brooklyn, true heart Indian, and the father figure NCO/Captain, and the unblooded Looie who dies to atone for his earlier mistakes?

What would they have? The Muscovite, streetwise and arrogant. The Ukrainian wheat farm boy, wide eyed and innocent. The scamming Georgian, always scheming and trading. The Uzbeck, who listens to the ground and states, "3 Tigers to the West. They approach with hate in their hearts. We have 10 minutes." The Komsomol recruit who keeps looking to his pocket guide as if that will tell him what to do while under direct machinegun fire. And the Commissar, waving his pistol about, foam and spittle flying, who dies while gloriously taking out the Tiger tank and saving the men who hated him.

Just wondering...

I took all that as a given. But all fair questions.

On another note,there is 9 Company (Company 9?) set in Afghanistan, where only one person survives.

Cool (pun),

Attacking waves of Flaming Russian Zombies! Will Battlefront also model the German Icethrowers for game balance, how did they counter they flaming Russian zombie hordes in real life anyway?

I'd like to also request we get the elite bomb laden antitank dog squads as well please.

The Japanese victory dance from The City of Life and Death fascinates me.

Everything about Japanese culture revolves around ritual and sacrifice. The Chinese are also no strangers to ritual in their lives.

What is interesting to me, is this is a Chinese war movie and Japanese are portrayed as almost human. Especially considering the barbarism they rained down on the inhabitants of Nanking this seems quite generous. There is still no love lost between the Chinese and the Japanese. Seeing these movies opens an interesting window into the current attitudes of the Chinese.

Did I hear something about Chinese war movies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=t00seTQN7yI#t=1068

City of Life and Death, another movie about the Nanking massacres. Talk about depressing movies. Like the Chinese Schindler's List.

Edit: dammit I was beaten by two minutes :(

Wow a Chinese movie, with spoken Japanese, Chinese with Vietnamese subtitles. A vertiable Asian feast, I wonder what the Vietnamese think of this movie? Considering their history with both the Chinese and the Japanese.

Everything about Japanese culture revolves around ritual and sacrifice. The Chinese are also no strangers to ritual in their lives.

What is interesting to me, is this is a Chinese war movie and Japanese are portrayed as almost human. Especially considering the barbarism they rained down on the inhabitants of Nanking this seems quite generous. There is still no love lost between the Chinese and the Japanese. Seeing these movies opens an interesting window into the current attitudes of the Chinese.

You are quite right the Chinese do seem to portray the Japanese in a better light than they so obviously could.

I watch quite a lot of the Chinese, Japanese and Korean movies and they are excellent.

They appear to be made to look like late F or early G models, I dont think there were that many MKIV Fs and Gs in 6th Army at the time of the Stalingrad battle, maybe a few, but every tank in the CGI sequence looks the same.

Its still pretty cool, what can be done these days with computer enhanced movies.

The really stupid detail about the MKIVs is that they start the scene lined up and backed against a large building, facing enemy positions on the other side of the square. Unless they were parachuted into position like that (the special effects do seem to suggest that), they must have driven up the side of the building, made a 90 degree turn exposing their flanks to the Russian positions, before reaching their starting points, doing another 90 degree turn to face the square. hmmm

the whole world is getting into the war/action movie genre.

This clip is from the chinese movie "Flowers of War" about Nanking, 1937. This is how you take out a Japanese platoon...

Thats an exciting scene. but realistically I dont believe a grenade can be detonated by a rifle bullet.