Stalingrad VFX

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the effects are truly stunning. But I fear that they might have spent more time, energy and money on the visuals than on the most important and basic thing: A good script (why am I reminded of "Pearl Harbor"?).

Hope my fears are groundless, though.

MKIVs are dissappointing.

These are CGI tanks do the MKIVs look a little off to you? The road wheels look more like T55 tanks made to look like MKIVs and then copied 5 times in CGI.

I think the armor skirts are there to hide the inaccuracies.

judging by the reviews out on this one i wouldn't expect much from it. seems like its in the same league as "Pearl Harbor" and "Enemy at the Gates"

SPOILER szene from the movie:

Well that was truly, suberbly and spectacularly craptastic. I guess all the money went into the effects so there was nothing left to spend on a script, a director, actors and sound design.

Brave comrades don't mind being set on fire at all and he fascists don't seem to remember they are supposed to pull the trigger. It's like the director has watched nothing but video game cutscenes and trailers and went on that.

The effects look mostly like lifeless plastic. Running out of toilet paper is more dramatic and emotionally impactful than this.

Signs of the times, movies like this. All eyecandy, no substance.

:D

judging by the reviews out on this one i wouldn't expect much from it. seems like its in the same league as "Pearl Harbor" and "Enemy at the Gates"

Enemy at the Gates was good, imho. At least, entertaining.

The Stalingrad youtube clip shows a Soviet soldier crossing himself. An unthinkable detail under the Soviet regime.

Running out of toilet paper is more dramatic and emotionally impactful than this.

:D

Well that isn't all that fair.... not many things are as dramatic and emotionally impacting as running out of toilet paper. :P

LOL reminds me of when I was a kid we took the theme song of the western tv series "Branded" and changed the lyrics

"Stranded, stranded on the toilet bowl, what do you do when you're stranded? You take it like a man and wipe it with your hand."

Man I can't believe I wasted enough of my memory to have that seared in there all these years. Remember something useful, nah let's keep this little ditty in a prime memory spot. Sad really. Maybe I should crawl over to the Peng thread. Even Barry Manilow would be a step up.

Visually amazing, for sure,...It´s incredible what can be achieved nowadays with the use of technology,...I can barely imagine what the videogames our grandsons may play will be like,...BUT, as it happens more and more these days, pretty wrapping paper for empty presents will always be dissapointing and deceptive...

MKIVs are dissappointing.

These are CGI tanks do the MKIVs look a little off to you? The road wheels look more like T55 tanks made to look like MKIVs and then copied 5 times in CGI.

Yeah. You just reminded me to gift the original stalingrad movie to myself on blu ray for chrissy.

They appear to be made to look like late F or early G models, I dont think there were that many MKIV Fs and Gs in 6th Army at the time of the Stalingrad battle, maybe a few, but every tank in the CGI sequence looks the same.

Its still pretty cool, what can be done these days with computer enhanced movies.

It appear that WWII films in Russia are like westerns in the U.S. You've got the general backstory and timeline. You've got the appropriate guns and uniforms, and that gives you free rein to be as over-the-top as you please. They do 'Stalingrad', we do 'The Lone Ranger'.

But we have Johnny Depp to be Tonto.

Would love to see what CM will have for building ruins by the time we get to Stalingrad.

Enemy at the Gates was good, imho. At least, entertaining.

The Stalingrad youtube clip shows a Soviet soldier crossing himself. An unthinkable detail under the Soviet regime.

Entertaining? Oh you mean the part where Jude Law and Rachel Weisz get it on surrounded by their tired and sweaty comrades yes yes very entertaining. :P

Ohh wait how could i forget these two scenes as well.