Dear Mr Battlefront...

Dear Mr Battlefront

Instead of a dear father Christmas letter I'm doing his, a dear Mr Battlefront letter. As you are now the Father Christmas of our adult years. Now I know your busy and the elves..I mean coders\testers..are busy all year round but what I'd love to know Mr Battlefront is what is on the "our magical improvement list". As you know most of us good boys and girls?? are always asking you for this and that and even though we haven't got you super elf skills..sorry coder skills...so Mr Battlefront please make our Xmas and new year a special one (Yes I do know you make many days special throughout the year for us all) and do tell what features\improvements do you have on that magic list of yours...what are your main priorities? Obviously we know your working very hard with the modules and new games but can you give us any clue to what you want in them thats not in the current games. Obviously I don't mean new Nations\terrain etc but more like..ahem..line formation maybe.

Just a little list of that very big list of yours will be great!

Anyway I'm signing off now as the other Mr..Mr Santa Claus is due tonight for my little one and will have to get her ready for tomorrow. Hope you and the elves..I mean coders\testers all have a wonderful holiday.

Your faithful customer Mr Jason Rimmer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

There is no set list at this time. However, I can say that our emphasis for v3.0 will be on low level gameplay elements. This includes a fairly wide range of things like TacAI behaviors, AI Plans, maybe a new Command or two, etc. Other stuff will come about for sure, but unlike releases of the past they won't be consuming the bulk of our development time.

Steve

:)

There is no set list at this time. However, I can say that our emphasis for v3.0 will be on low level gameplay elements. This includes a fairly wide range of things like TacAI behaviors, AI Plans, maybe a new Command or two, etc. Other stuff will come about for sure, but unlike releases of the past they won't be consuming the bulk of our development time.

Steve

What? No fire!! :( Please tells us we will have FT'ers and dynamic fire for 3.0

I am deliberately being vague because we prefer to announce stuff we know is already in and working. Our wish lists are always longer than what we can get in and we never know until the end what specific elements will make the cut. For example, there was a feature in 2.0 that we thought we could do in its entirety until Phil got in under the hood and saw how long it would take. So we got in 1/2 of what we wanted. That was about 2 weeks before we finished v2.0 for our testers. Which means announcing specifics right now would be foolishly early.

That being said, two things:

1. Flamethrowers/flame effects is a top priority.

2. We plan about 12 months between Upgrades. Could be a little more, a little less. Depends on conditions we can't predict this far out.

Steve

2. CM: Eastern Front 1. The first of four Eastern Front "families" starts with Operation Bagration (June 1944) and eventually covers through to the end of the war (May 1945). For many tactical warfare enthusiasts, this period is considered the most tactically interesting since both sides were at their peak of their military technology, organization, and experience. The scope and scale of the combat offers plenty of subject matter to explore.

We have more games planned for 2013, however we are making no formal announcements at this time. These three mini-announcements should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

http://vvvvw.combatmission.com/community/showthread.php?t=104854

Are the cm:eastern front series still part of the plan? They would be number one on my personal wishlist :D.

http://vvvvw.combatmission.com/community/showthread.php?t=104854

Are the cm:eastern front series still part of the plan? They would be number one on my personal wishlist :D.

I can't imagine it not being part of the plan. And he did say 2013, so barring a major mishap—like the end of the world for instance—it will almost certainly appear in the next twelve months, probably less would be my guess.

Michael

Excellent, I'm pleased version 3 is concentrating on low level gameplay, get the details right and the rest falls into place..I do hope one day though my little pixeltruppen will walk in line formation rather than follow the leader.

Also some immersion things like hit marks\decals on vehicles\AFV's. Possible entry and exit arrows of the hits at the end of the game like Achtung Panzer would be cool. Oh and abit of blood where the soldiers got hit..(as an option), would love to see more animations on the whole including getting hit and wounded animations..even the light wounds, maybe the soldier doprs down then gets back up or when rested tends to his wound\s.

I am deliberately being vague because we prefer to announce stuff we know is already in and working. Our wish lists are always longer than what we can get in and we never know until the end what specific elements will make the cut. For example, there was a feature in 2.0 that we thought we could do in its entirety until Phil got in under the hood and saw how long it would take. So we got in 1/2 of what we wanted. That was about 2 weeks before we finished v2.0 for our testers. Which means announcing specifics right now would be foolishly early.

That being said, two things:

1. Flamethrowers/flame effects is a top priority.

2. We plan about 12 months between Upgrades. Could be a little more, a little less. Depends on conditions we can't predict this far out.

Steve

The ability to issue different formation orders is one the features I hope to see at some point.

I like the idea of formations, but if BF adds them then they need to be more than just eye candy. Here's how they should work IMO.

Each formation should have some in game tactical benefit and be nationality specific.

To cut down on micromanagement each formation should have a purpose or be considered best practice given a certain set of circumstances and the tac AI will will pick that formation best suited for the situation.

Of course this should also be linked to leadership/C2 so that units with poor leadership or C2 wont necessarily pick the best formation under the circumstances.

I know this is coming dangerously close to the SOP's which BF says it wants to avoid but I really think this is the best way to do it and cut down on micromanagement and command clutter.

Dear Mr Battlefront... i have to complain a bit ;)

First of all sorry for my English. I'm playing CM since Barbarossa to Berlin. It was and it is one of my favourite games. I have just bought Normandy and to be honest it's very good successor. But now I feel deceived. I understand that 10$ patch theme was discused many times before and many are probably tired of this but I have to say something from me(you can ban me afterwards). It isn't fair and I'm surprised that so many people here are accepting this with contentment. Ok if you guys are ready to pay $ for a patch ok, your choice but don't try to convince people who don't like such policy that this is fair and normal. Don't say that this is some kind of "upgrade" that is changing core game. This is patch! Some BF guy said somewhere here that patches will remain free but the upgrades will cost $ Tell me what is a difference between such upgrade you are offering and patch? None! I have to pay for cover armor, movable waypoints and some minor tweaks and bug fixes, which i should have in a base game. I understand that this is difficult market and BF is small group but they are not the only one still i cant find any other publisher who wants money for their patches. Of course I don't have to buy it. That's true but I have only two options: buy this or stop playing this game within few weeks/months. Playing with AI has limited replayability and I can't play with players with 2.0 patch.

Such thing would be fair if:

this was a true upgrade that is genuinely changing this game and/or there was some possibility to play with 1.11 vs 2.0 in multiplayer game(of course without features from 2.0 version ) but it is impossible and you are giving such option - buy or, in fact, stop playing it. true CM is in multiplayer game not against the AI

Probably I will buy this patch one and last time because i want in this game those goddamned cover armors and I want to play with someone at least for a while until 3.0 would be released. I'm really surprised that such majority of players are happy and accepting this without complain and even are writing here tons of Paeans to Battlefront and here you got not only games pared down to dozens of modules(which I probably can understand and that is not only Battlefront doing this) but also payable patches. You gave a precedens

Sorry but i had to, now you can hang me ;)