Aris Terrain Version 2.0 WIP

Fuser

Regarding "Options" subfolder:

If you want to use the options I think you need to copy and paste them into the main texture folder so they overwrite the other ones.

That´s it.

@Wodin:

I will make an add-on Pack with optional textures in the following week. Greener grass, different mud, cobblestone, etc.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Histar, I think what is happening is many War Films or series like Band of Brothers are filmed in a subdued tone and a hint of sepia and grainey aswell. Since then I suppose we associate that look with WW2 and anything more vibrant looks garish and odd as the look used in BoB and other films looked so real and felt right. I do know when I play CMBN with the mod it has a washed out feeling compared to how it looked I'm sure in real life but it portrays the right atmosphere. Maybe bright more vibrant colours are alittle to uplifting and don't portray the atmosphere of War aswell.

@Wodin: Thanx for your explanation. I prefer realism to fiction though. Also the omnipresent grass texture is not how movies etc. represent the landscape. It currently looks like a semi-arid place like I already stated.

I will make an add-on Pack with optional textures in the following week. Greener grass, different mud, cobblestone, etc.

Thank you very much Fuser - by doing so you will get yourself more happy customers! Much appreciated! :)

I thought one could simply put the options into (say) a ZZZ folder (inside the Z folder) and have them overwrite whatever they overwrite in the Z folder?

@Erwin: That will work too.

@Hister: I understand your point of view, but there is not an unique valid point as to what looks better, is it ;) ? That´s why I will make more options...but the Mod it´s the way it is for a simple reason...I Like it that way :)

Thanks, Fuser & Erwin--I really appreciate the quick response! Not to flog a dead horse, but I do want to make sure I get the full benefit of these fantastic mods (the game is so much more immersive and realistic with them), as well as to increase my understanding of how to properly install mods. So, my quick follow-up question is do I have to "unpack" the separate files within the "Options" Folder (e.g., crater; ground dirt) and copy and paste them into the "Texture Pack" folder, or will it work to simply move the entire "Options" Subfolder into the "Texture Pack" Folder?

And Erwin, does your method work because the folder is named "ZZZ" and therefore will be the last mods recognized by the game, and thus will overwrite all previous files?

Thanks again for your help here!

So, my quick follow-up question is do I have to "unpack" the separate files within the "Options" Folder (e.g., crater; ground dirt) and copy and paste them into the "Texture Pack" folder, or will it work to simply move the entire "Options" Subfolder into the "Texture Pack" Folder?

And Erwin, does your method work because the folder is named "ZZZ" and therefore will be the last mods recognized by the game, and thus will overwrite all previous files?

Thanks again for your help here!

DO NOT move the entire Options folder within "Texture Pack"!! Option bitmaps are just that, optional BMPs to further customize your game, not a mod itself. So choose if you want to overwrite any official bitmaps (the ones from Texture Pack) with the optional ones.

@Hister: I understand your point of view, but there is not an unique valid point as to what looks better, is it ? That´s why I will make more options...but the Mod it´s the way it is for a simple reason...I Like it that way
Oh I know what you talk about, was a modder myself once. When it comes to what one likes or dislikes it gets messy 'cos everyone knows his solution is the best one ;)

So what kind of green did you plan to make? I was thinking down the line of anti current vanilla fluorescent green. It has to look less artificial and more akin to organic natural look. What do you think about something like this?

I also noticed that your marsh texture looks too much blue or even viola when we have big swathes of swamp land and looking a bit zoomed out (courage and fortitude - school of hard knocks scenario for example). For the time being I swapped it with vanilla.

Ok, I get the idea, that kind of grass and a new marsh,hehe. Ready to mod again!

Regading what you say about not being able to please everybody ("suddenly everybody knows how Normandy dirt looks like" and that stuff), that´s not something I take into account when I start modding, that would make a slave of other´s opinions. The aim is not to please but to enjoy, I can enjoy green grass, yellow grass, and even purple grass, that´s why I can go on modding. :)

Fuser I love the mud with the grass is this in the options or will it be put up for download?

@ Wodin: no problem, I will include it in the next "Add-on Pack".

Edited:

Is this the color you are looking for? Would you like a perfect lawn texture instead? (That green looks nuclear to me, hehe)

Pic took ingame.

groundgrass.jpg

For the purposes of helping those like myself, who do not clearly understand the process of installing mods.Or indeed which mods overwrite which mods.

How about members list the mods they have installed so that others can see and then decide on the load out they may wish.

This was very popular on the SH1-5 forums for newbies.

Sabot: yes, ZZZ is read after ZZ which is read after Z etc.

para: I would do that except I have maybe over a hundred mods now, and don't have time to list. I do however, separate all mods now into ZZ subfolders under the Z folder just to keep everything in order and to make it easier to compare similar mods.

So, inside my Z folder I now have ZZ UNIFORMS; ZZ TERRAIN; ZZ UI; ZZ SKINS; etc...

Regading what you say about not being able to please everybody ("suddenly everybody knows how Normandy dirt looks like" and that stuff), that´s not something I take into account when I start modding, that would make a slave of other´s opinions. The aim is not to please but to enjoy, I can enjoy green grass, yellow grass, and even purple grass, that´s why I can go on modding.
I'm with you 100% on this!

When I was in the business I would never mod something I didn't found myself satisfactory for me. It's not that we get payed for what we do so we can do as we please. If it intrigues us we mod it, when the drive is out we stop modding. So simple. Why would anyone do anything if he doesn't have to and not enjoy doing so!?

I'm very aware of your worth for the community, your chivalrous stance and where I fit into the equation. As long as you will still enjoy doing it I'll try to use your motivation so that I get a product out of your hands that will also suit my perception in how should things look like. It's very selfish from me but I'm sure I won't be the only one who will use that different green grass in the end. I can suggest what would be better from my point of view - I can explain why my point of view is worth being considered and that is all there is to it.

In the end there is still this formula where the more people use your work the better result ratio you get for invested work and summarum of enjoyment you caused globally with your work. This does not show in your valet per see but can be also considered.

Is this the color you are looking for? Would you like a perfect lawn texture instead? (That green looks nuclear to me, hehe)

Pic took ingame.

Well I did some experimenting myself during the day - I searched on net trying to find grass textures that would fit the game. I've converted them to .bmp and what I know for sure is that the example I suggested before is too dark and in general contrasts too heavily with your other textures. One thing is seeing the texture as is and then putting it in the game so I now see why it's hard to make a balanced choice.

Don't know what you mean by nuclear - too fluorescent maybe? I'm just looking for the right colour, I'm not into lawn texture per see. The right colour is what matters the most. It seems it's also important there aren't any darker spots like grass shadow on the textures themselves or we get a messy result in game as is the case with my suggested texture example. Dunno, maybe a colour middle down the way between this and vanilla?

I think I've found the variant which almost suits my understatement how ground (green/yellow) grass should look like - it's in Flesh_Subdued_Terrain_V2_Release mod. If you can find something with similar colour and pattern and improve on it that would be awesome.

Have you did anything with the fords. I use Fordings as streams, rivers, ditches. But the pebbles look a little off in the stock game. I went so far as to use the stock marsh tile in place of the shallow ford texture to get rid of the pebbles on the banks

I am very impressed and look forward to this. Everytime I see a mod like this its like having a new mini game.

Yes, the best terrain mod yet IMO.

Just one thing Aris - I am wanting to use the alternative crops texture (for a more yellow colour) but there doesn't seem to be a corresponding 'mini-ground' texture. This means that from a distance, when the low LOD textures start to show up there is a big colour mis-match.

Can you make mini-ground textures that work with the alternative main textures?

Thanks

Carl, that´s my fault. In the last package I prepared, I forgot to add options for the mini ground bitmaps too. I guess I had my fill of textures at the time. I will be adding them in an Addon Package I am working on at the moment. Everything, hopefully, will be included this time. Thanks for the feedback!