Aris Terrain Version 2.0 WIP

Fuser

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One or two days,...I have put a lot of bitmaps in the garbage can, since they don´t get to the quality of my HD Grass. It will be a limited improval over my existing Texture Pack, but I think the game improves yet a little bit more. At the moment I am very satisfied with the Yellow Grass, Paved Road 2 (Paved Road 1 out of the workbench for being a huge pain in the a**), Marsh, Mud and Ploughed Fields. The others are good but not my favorite ( foxhole, ford, ground dirt and ground dirt red,...). I think that´s the best I can do at the moment with the terrain, so I will zip the files soon,...and take a rest. I´ll leave the task of modding the Terrain to thers. New tasks in the horizon now,...

One or two days,...I have put a lot of bitmaps in the garbage can, since they don´t get to the quality of my HD Grass. It will be a limited improval over my existing Texture Pack, but I think the game improves yet a little bit more. At the moment I am very satisfied with the Yellow Grass, Paved Road 2 (Paved Road 1 out of the workbench for being a huge pain in the a**), Marsh, Mud and Ploughed Fields. The others are good but not my favorite ( foxhole, ford, ground dirt and ground dirt red,...). I think that´s the best I can do at the moment with the terrain, so I will zip the files soon,...and take a rest. I´ll leave the task of modding the Terrain to thers. New tasks in the horizon now,...

Don't blame you, it seems like you have been modding non stop. What is this new task on the horizon you speak of? CMBN related?

Uploading....

I have finished my own trilogy :

Aris Texture Pack (Parts 1, 2 y 3) ...(just 2 parts in CMMODs)

Aris HD Grass

Aris Terrain Addon Pack (Parts 1 y 2)

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I really enjoyed the process of creating them, although I almost ended up fed up with foliage!! THANKS a lot to all of you for your continous support...and a nearly 10.000 visit thread!!

See you soon.

This all looks fantastic -- and I'd like to use them, only I have two things holding me back:

1. Do HD mods slow down the game and increase the chances of OOM errors, etc.?

2. I'm very happy with the zz_Aristoteles Terrain that I've had since August, which slightly desaturated things and reduced the shimmer. I'd like to try some of these new texture packs, but don't know how to integrate them with my existing one, or whether I should just make a clean switch (parking the old terrain somewhere safe in case I want to go back to it). The whole business of keeping mod files straight has me increasingly confused.

No problem. Cut and copy (backup) your ZZ_Aristoteles Terrain (version 1, that is) in a safe place (out of your Z folder). Download the new mods, install them, check it by yourself and decide. If you get OOM errors (Windows XP, 32 bit OS maybe?) then, delete and go back to your previous configuration, no harm done.

Thank you so much once again Aris for the huge amount of work you put in to make this game so much better. Hope you do well and we'll see you later or around the commonwealth release.

Broadsword if you have a good computer, it shouldn't be a problem. To organize your texture mods just right click somewhere on your desktop then go to "new" then left click "folder".

Then move all of your texture mods within your "z" folder into that new folder and rename it to anything you want. Make sure you create another folder to put in any new texture mods you get to keep things organized and so you can differentiate between your old files and any new ones you get.

Now to compare the textures in-game:

The game loads any folders in your "z" folder in alphabetical order from "Z" to "A"

The game looks at the NAMES of your folders in your "z" folder then determines by it's alphabetical order if it loads the textures in there instead of a different folder that has textures. For example:

In your "z" folder: If you had a mud texture in one folder but in another folder there was a different mud texture, the game will load the mud texture that is in the folder with the lowest alphabetical order (from Z-A).

So this is what you should do: make sure you have all of your old textures all in the folder on your desktop, then make a new folder, again on your desktop, to store any new textures you download. Then create another new folder with in your "z" folder and name it "ZZZZZ" so that the game will load anything in there instead of your other folders.

Now put all the textures you want the game to load into the "ZZZZZ" folder you created then the game will load those.

Make sure you put back any textures you don't like in the corresponding folder it came from on your desktop.

I hope this helps.

Ah, there it is! What a delay!

Edit:

Excellent! Finally a proper grass texture!!! Makes the game so much immersive, awesome.The only thing that is a bit problematic from all your texture work are the swamp, mud and forest textures. Swamp (check school of hard knocks scenario to see what I mean) and mud (square like pattern is too obvious and ruins immersion) I can get elsewhere but so far I haven't found a suitable forest ground texture ( yours is too grey but looks fine otherwise). Hope someone makes it so that it melds with your textures well. Maybe I'll ask my GF (who is good with changing photos) how to make that forest texture more green and warm in colour and not so washed out.

All in all a huge cudos to you Aris - thank you very much!

P.S. My ancient PC can so far handle your HD textures well with 15% less framerates on big maps so it look like doubling the texture size isn't as heavy on the computers as first thought.

P.S.2: With this new green grass the colour of trees and bocage is standing out a bit too much. I'll have to try vanilla and maybe other mods who changed this to see which one blends with your newest addition the most.

The Lotus Eater says the game loads from Z to A which is confusing (to me at least). To clarify: IIRC the game loads A first and Z last. So you will see mods that have names that start with letters later in the alphabet loaded in the game. So Zmod loads AFTER Amod, and therefore Zmod appears in the game.